Fisch sov checker

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by gazzahere, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

Evening all,

can someone point me to where to buy the Fisch aussie soverign checker - I can find where to buy it for other coins - but not our soverigns.

An aussie site or place preferred if possible.

tia

gazza

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I ordered this one and couldn't be happier

http://www.fisch.co.za/orderonline.htm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRuVRL00M8[/youtube]

3. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

try the old style sov scales - they are made for sovs and I am quite happy with mine

4. gazzahere

thanks to you both.

Nugget - I got to that site a while back and then got confused -- which wallet do I need?

and hem9 - can you expand a bit please - I am not at all familiar with the older sov scales.

tia

gazza

5. Nugget

Wallet #2. I literally have it right in front of me as I type this.

The bonus with buying this wallet is that it also covers American Gold Eagles / Krugerrands / Isle of Man Angel / Brittanias in sizes of 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz and 1/10oz as well as the Sovereign and 2 Rand.

6. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

They are basically jewelers scales from the 1800 til 1920's used by jewelers to authenticate sovs.

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Have a look at this one, I believe some have purchased these ones before. A lot cheaper and the same by all accounts ?

http://i-c-g.pl/index.html

8. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I've an original 1800's sov scale for sale. Its in the barter thread from March I think... :)

Its a gorgeous little piece too!

Nuggets a big fan of the fisch scales from what I remember,didn't you do some youtube vidz on them?

9. Nugget

I'm a huge fan of getting what I paid for, i.e. a full weight Sovereign.

The reason I'd favour the fisch over a traditional scale is that the fisch also covers Krugerrands, AGE's, Isle of Man Angel and Britannia's. However, disappointingly the Fisch does not cover 1/2 sovereigns. So if Sovereigns are your thing, I think you'd want a traditional sovereign scale :)

10. gazzahere

thanks again all,

what is interesting from my pov is that without much experience of sovs. - it is very hard to shop for a fisch type tool.

Both on the fisch site and on the icg site - there is no mention of sovs (as in the tool list).

I find that odd considering that in the fisch wallet 2 - you can clearly see one of the tools marked sovereign (ref. linked video).

The icg site is even worse - nowhere did I see what coins the tools actually check - ie. no tool list at all.

I have ordered a fisch wallet 2 and would also like to buy the icg kit - just to compare what it does - you have to give a lot of information to them to register for an alert account though - far too much information imo.

I didn't find the scales that RD mentioned on the barter thread - I had a couple of looks. I will research the old scales, I assume they may do half sovs? - thanks anyway for everything all,

have a great day

gazza

11. Nugget

12. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Yup I got this set and all good.

13. Byron

Byron Guest

What worries me about the accuracy of the Fisch, is that it includes a "wear and tear" allowance of 0.6g off a sovereign.

To me that is a massive weight discrepency. If i weighed a sov and it was around 7.38g instead of closer to 7.98g, i wouldn't buy it.

There are 2 more tests, width and diameter. Could a fake or lower carat sov pass the weight test but fail one of the others?

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Wouldn't a set of good digital scales be better? :/

15. Byron

Byron Guest

Yes, measuring the weight of a sov is the first thing i do.

What concerns me is that a good 18k or 19k copy could very well be the correct weight, have the correct diameter but be slightly thicker. Thickness is hard to judge with the naked eye. Callipers are useful but measuring thickness, is tricky even with calipers.

Hence my previous question on the Fisch.

16. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

And if you have a nice coin, easy to go scraaatch with calipers.

17. Nugget

Aurora et Luna had a jewellers copy of a sovereign which he tested with a Fisch. From memory it failed the thickness test

18. Byron

Byron Guest

Thanks for that news.

So even if a counterfeit is made of lower carat gold, it will have to fail at least one of the 3 tests.

19. gazzahere

morning all,

just to keep you up.

Thanks to a couple of you I did buy the fisch system - I have nothing against the other system recommended - I had just ordered the fisch at first.

What I found ------- I think it is a brilliant tool. Very expensive pieces of plastic - but marvellous. Sov. checker scales old style I can see would be similar - but the fisch wallet does a lot more.

Ease of use is the key for me - rather than callipers (which I modified so I can measure delicate coins both dia. and thickness - but for ease of use the fisch blows it away).

What have I found so far ------- out of 5 sovs. 1 doesn't pass the test -- it is exact weight, thickness is near perfect but it is 22.3 mm dia - the fisch won't let it through.

Long story short - I bought it anyway - I bought it from an older man who I have bought several coins from - if it were a stranger I probably would have passed.

that said - I am glad I bought it - the education I am getting from thinking about the coin and what exactly it is could be worth thousands.

The coin looks, feels and for all intents appears to be a genuine sov. - it is as lovely as the others and I suspect it has a very high gold content - I might do an sg on it.

I have wondered if it is a genuine -- is it possible for some to be ever so slightly wider? If indeed it is a non-genuine then the work that went into making it is amazing.

I have read of other non-genuine sovs. (of which there are many) - but I have only seen where their weights or thickness are incorrect.

Opinions?

tia

have a great morning

ps - thanks for all the advice in this thread.

gazza

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

If you're in Melbourne, W Davis & Son have a standing offer to Silver Stackers members for stuff to be brought in and tested on their XRF machine - at least you can find out the gold content.