Fisch sov checker

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by gazzahere, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

thanks gp -- I will be seeing Peter at Davis next week sometime - I will take it with me.

thanks again

gazza

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Let us know how it goes. I'm certainly keen to hear the result.

FWIW I personally would reject any coin that fails any of the three tests, even if it failed by a little bit. Plenty of other coins to choose from :)

3. gazzahere

hi nugget,

yes, under 'normal' circs. I would have rejected it also. However, it was part of a larger parcel and I know and like the old bloke a lot. He has done the right thing by me. Also I was interested in the coin - and have and expect to learn a lot because of the test failure - and of course we are only talking about a common date sov. -- not a one ton gold coin from the Perth mint :D:D

I suspect it is worth the purchase in gold anyway - but the lessons might be invaluable.

I will keep this thread up with what happens.

have a great day all ;)

gazza

4. Byron

Byron Guest

Can you please share with us the date and mint of the sov in question?

And do keep us updated as to the scan results.

5. gazzahere

hi Byron,

1885 S

have a great night

gazza

6. Byron

Byron Guest

Cool, thanks mate. Not one i would have expected to see counterfeited. Have a lovely evening too.

7. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If any members here are going to be stacking Sovereigns I can really recommend the Fisch Coin Checker even though it is very pricey for a piece of plastic.
    I borrowed a Fisch kit from Nugget and found a couple more Sovereigns in my inventory that was a bit suss.
    These coins passed the weight, thickness and diameter tests but remained firmly stucked inside the round test when I flip the coin checker over, so not really sure about those coins.
    I suspect these are the Middle Eastern jewellers copies thats been around since the 1950s
    My supplier doesn't have or use a Fisch coin tester. He relies on appearance, feel and years of experience so some very good copies may have slipped under his radar.
    Anyway any future Sovereigns that I sell will be Fisch tested to remove any doubt.
    Btw it goes without saying that if I had accidently sold a jeweller's copy to anyone in the past, they won't have any problems getting a Fisch tested replacement.

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where did you purchase yours AEL? How much?

9. Aurora et luna

Hi Julie, was too cheap to fork over $150 for a set so borrowed Nugget's coin tester. :)
    Will have to buy one eventually once all my Fisch tested Sovereigns are sold out.
    The Instant Coin Gauge recommended by some stackers may be a cheaper option.

10. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

FWIW anyone that's cool can borrow my Fisch gauge. That's because I'm cool, at least that's what my wife says LOL

11. gazzahere

Afternoon all,

update on the soverign that failed the Fisch test.

Had xrf ------ perfect. Dealer was happy to buy.

So - dia. .3mm over

thickness ok

weight - ok, slightly on the high side if I remember correctly on the dealers scales (mine read perfect)

xrf - perfect

Dealer said didn't seem like a restrike. He assumed genuine.

Conclusion - buggered if I know - but all good.

Have a great day all

Gazza:)

12. Byron

Byron Guest

Thanks for giving us the results! Good news.

13. Aurora et luna

An update on the reliability of the Fisch Sovereign checker.
    I sold a Fisch checked Sovereign on Sunday to a stacker and he just had it confirmed on an XRF that it only 20ct fine gold. Bugger! :rolleyes:

14. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I think the old style jewelers sov scales are pretty good as all the sovs that pass by me are checked and xrf and so far not had one problem yet? Furthermore, the idea for Fisch was taken from the old style sov scales as the one I am currently using was made in the 1900's and I don't think plastic was invented at that time.

15. Aurora et luna

If anyone has one of those old fashion Sovereign scales for sale, let me know I am interested.
    Also I am prepared to pay a fee to test a bunch of Sovereigns if there are any members in Sydney with a XRF machine?

16. gazzahere

evening all,

"I sold a Fisch checked Sovereign on Sunday to a stacker and he just had it confirmed on an XRF that it only 20ct fine gold. Bugger"

It's late and I have had a hard day - so I might not be thinking straight --------- however,

if dia. is ok or less and thickness is ok or less and weight is enough to tip the scale ------------ is it actually possible for it to be 20 kt?????

I would have thought that not possible? ------ thoughts please?

ps -- I assume the fisch checked sov. we are talking about actually passed all the tests.

tia

gazza

17. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I think the old time sov scales are a bit bitter as the sovs just have to tip the scales on the fisch, while in the old time sov scales it has to balance out at a certain weight to be accurate.

18. Aurora et luna

All the Sovereigns I am selling has passed all the Fisch tests so was unpleasantly surprised to receive news that it is only 20ct fine
    I offered the buyer a choice of about 20 Fisch tested sovereigns to choose from. He bought 4 Sovereigns and 3 passed the XRF test when he had them tested at Strand Coins.
    No reason to doubt his word.
    Will of course offer him a replacement coin or his money back.

19. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

^^^
    Some 1868 and 1870 Sovereigns had been minted with 8.33% copper instead of silver. So these when tested with a XRF it is picking up the difference and impurities. Where as the old scales of 1868 :D These sovereigns passed all the tests.

If it is one of these and in good condition I will gladly exchange you a suitable 22ct replacement :) Not that AEL wouldn't.

Otherwise I am not sure, it could be another mint. If you can give date and Mint I am sure someone could assist.

20. gazzahere

morning ael,

"All the Sovereigns I am selling has passed all the Fisch tests so was unpleasantly surprised to receive news that it is only 20ct fine
    I offered the buyer a choice of about 20 Fisch tested sovereigns to choose from. He bought 4 Sovereigns and 3 passed the XRF test when he had them tested at Strand Coins.
    No reason to doubt his word.
    Will of course offer him a replacement coin or his money back."

I have no doubt what you say is true - I woudn't question that, nor do I doubt the mans word. ------- Like I say, unless I am not thinking straight - I would, however, be supecting the xrf machine ------------ if ----- and it is an if -

the dia. is correct or smaller
    the thickness is correct or smaller
    the weight is correct

Does this not make it impossible for it to be 20kt ----------- unless the percentage of metal (Cu/Au or Cu/Ag is different) - but then, this would throw the weight out? woudn't it?

Austracker - if it were what you suggested might be??? -- what would that do to the specs? ------

tia

Gazza