'Fake' Mongolia Wildlife Protection Silver Coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by MasterID, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

If you know what you are looking at the fake is pretty easy to detect in hand or in most case even from a photo if it is truly the coin you are purchasing. There are plenty of reputable sellers on eBay. If you apply just a modest amount of common sense you can almost guarantee you are getting the real thing. But buying coins like this on the cheap from Chinese sellers without an extensive track record of selling coins on eBay is just plain dumb. One more thing, I would not put much stock in the photos as they can easily use a photo of the real thing or a rendering and just swap it out for shipment.

2. MasterID

MasterID Member

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Be careful of sellers on ebay where you cannot view recent purchases of others when you go into their feedback.

You dont have to buy a fake to sell or resell a fake.

Ebay members from china contact you and ask you to sell their products in the west on ebay. They send you the items free and trust you to pay them the "Production cost" when they are sold, re seller can keep all the profit.

Real feedback is the only way to tell a genuine seller and this usually only comes with time and the reason there are so many items on ebay without bids.

Your seller only registered this year and has a high feedback score for the time even though its a low feedback score! Mum & Pop ebay sellers take forever to build up good feedback scores because your score rating does not go up one for one with each + feedback given or received.

Your seller looks genuine although its a red flag to me when some of the feedback is in Chinese.

4. MasterID

MasterID Member

5. MasterID

MasterID Member

I made an international call to USA eBay.

Yes, there is nothing WRONG to sell counterfeit items in eBay (that is how I felt). The onus is on the BUYER to prove that the items are counterfeit. As there is no way to prove from Seller's photo or description that it is counterfeit, one has to buy and get it delivered.

Strangely, I learnt that I am supposed to report counterfeit currencies to the Police. This is all wrong! (maybe this is why international criminals prefer to counterfeit US currencies :D)

eBay suggested to send it for authentication (as in link) when I proposed to send in a police report.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/authentication.html#authentication

"Sellers can boost bidder confidence by having items authenticated before listing an item."
    I cannot imagine SELLERS sending in 42,000,000 2014 America Silver Eagle (and millions more other coins, medals, gold, etc) to boost their sales.

I hope this post does not trigger the minds of people to buy in large quantities of fakes and start selling on eBay at prices matching authentic items.

Really sad.

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Totally agree.

Fake stuff not only coins are everywhere on online store. This is not the first day story.

Some good stores have refund policy with easy procedures rather than just go for authentic the stuff. This might comfort consumer a bit and build their confident. However, there are no full proof for fake.

Risks and common sense is your tool for online purchase for coin. I always buy from reputable ebay seller with long history. No gold or super expansive item coins in ebay.

No free lunch in the world.

7. ryan71

ryan71 Member

I haven't been stacking as long as many of you so maybe I'm missing something??? I cannot imagine buying silver or gold coins on EBAY. EBAY? Why? Are you getting the real stuff below spot?

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some distress collector did sell it very low as compare to market price.

Some inexperience seller just obtain the coins from parent or/and ancestor and sell it at normal gold price BUT it worth more than it.

Some dealers just want to gain awareness of the market and sell it at cost or even loss for certain coins. marketing strategy.....

Some coins are not available at coin dealer shop at all due to all on collector hand.

Many reasons of buying from ebay.

I personally will not buy gold more than 1 oz in ebay. I am not taking the risk even it is reputable seller.

9. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Okay, thanks. I can see some people using EBAY for those reasons. I wouldn't, but hey, whatever.

10. MasterID

MasterID Member

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/6924_cimg1470.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Fake vs. Real

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/6924_cimg1480s.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Fake