Fake American Silver Eagles

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by yennus, Jun 25, 2011.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Every now and then you get someone that believes there are no fake ASEs... someone recently posted this comment "I read all these posts about fake ASES, but I do not know of anyone that has actually seen one. The photo could easily be a photoshopped picture. Is that photo the only "evidence" of fake ASE?"

This is the pic that was suspected of being photoshopped:

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_1906_counterfeit_bullion.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

So, here is another public silver announcement. Yes, there are fake ASEs.

This pic was taken this morning.

I was looking for a better quality fake, but settled for this one due to time constraints.

I have actually seen it.
    I have actually purchased it (yes, real fiat for fake silver... grrr...).
    I have now uploaded more evidence of fake ASEs.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_0725ss.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

It was purchased from a well known district in Shanghai for fakes.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_0719s.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

I hope you found this post interesting/educational. It was produced at the cost of 1oz fake silver.

Thanks.

<Please no hateful comments... I didn't do this to offend anyone, only to show that there are fake ASEs out there>

2. PradoEagle

PradoEagle Member Silver Stacker

Did you pay less than spot?

3. yennus

Hahah... yeah, less than spot silver... but way too much for spot iron/copper.

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Damnnnn fake ASEs! Hope they don't fake Perth Mint stuff any time soon.

5. yennus

Lotsa fakes... I haven't seen any fake Masterpieces in Silver though :)

6. BBQ

BBQ Member

Fake ASEs with 1900 year on them. I would have thought they'd have 2010 or 2011 on them.

7. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

Do you have a photo of the coin you bought?
    What is the date on the coin?

8. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Common ASE fake I've seen has 1904 - thats right they were not being minted in that year. Most are not even silver plated so pretty easy to pick.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Still waiting to see evidence of a fake ASE with a legitimate date.

10. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

and why does it not surprise me that the only known fake reported on SS so far was purchased in China?

11. fishball

What's the difference? A fake ASE is a fake ASE?

Much like fake Pandas don't have legitimate face value or eyes or fur...but they're fake pandas.

I get that they're much easier to distinguish based on the 'wrong year' but they're still fake ASEs after all.

Also have to consider that changing the year on a fake ASE would be simple in comparison to mimicking the ASE's design.

I would much rather these fakes be obvious than a pain in the butt.

12. BBQ

BBQ Member

What's strange about this fake is it really looks like it has been through two World Wars already.

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Well if there were fake ASEs dated 1986 or later, there would be cause for alarm - but frankly an ASE dated 80+ years before they were first minted is almost a novelty fake.

The problem with fake Pandas is that most silver buyers don't have the knowledge to know what they should look like - but the ASE is a pretty well recognised coin - having a fake date should stick out like the proverbial.

14. fishball

Hope it stays that way too! :D

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Yep me to, we have had a recent thread on this where i went and spent a couple of hours checking out the claim, the 1904 you (Yennus) have was the only eagle that could remotley be considered a fake (did it fool you i wonder? could it?), the only other two i found were marked "copy".

The real concern in the silver bullion market is the chinese panda coins, imo they are overpriced and unless your a panda expert the secondary market is riddled with fakes in most years.

I feel very safe buying ASE's online. The same could not be said for pandas (the only truely copied silver bullion)

Yennus - You were mentioned in this previous discussion as a Panda expert, read discussion http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...sing-the-value-of-this-collection-for-me.html

thanks for your efforts to eduacate

1for1

16. yennus

Consider for a moment, if the counterfeits can make ASEs with dates ranging from 1900 all the way through to 1908, what is stopping them from making a 2000 coin?

The 19xx fake ASEs are just as hard to distinguish than fake pandas in my opinion. Since being in China, I haven't come across many fake Pandas - I guess the counterfeiters primarily export fake Pandas overseas (via Ebay), as almost any Chinese person would probably recognize a fake Panda (like we can detect fake ASEs). As Jim Rogers says "Do your homework."
    Compare this fake panda with this real panda. The fake panda stands out immediately.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_fakepanda.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] - Fake
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_2009-chinese-silver-panda-i0-yaun-999-gem-bu-1-oz-ba63d.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] - Real

It's a similar case with the ASEs. Unless you are familiar with ASE's, you will be unlikely to suspect a fake ASE. Same with any other decently counterfeited coin, unless you are familiar with the genuine articles (Morgans, Pandas, Pesos, etc), and have done your homework, you are just as likely to get cheated.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and as a collector of both Eagles and Pandas (as well as a range of other numismatic and bullion items), I think you are wrong on both counts (please don't be offended - this my opinion, and I could be 100% wrong... though I think I'm 100% right... at least on this).

1. Chinese Pandas are not overpriced, indeed, I believe that they are currently undervalued, and I would assume Jim Roger's would also agree with this. http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=20484 If Jim Rogers felt confident to spend $270,000 on Chinese Pandas on record, I am sure he agrees that Pandas are a good investment. Not failing to mention, that At least 1.4 billion people are automatically inclined towards Pandas.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_jimrogersbuyspandas.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

2. The market is not riddled with fakes. Ebay may be riddled with fakes, but genuine Pandas can be found from many genuine dealers, all over the world (I can personally testify to this). I have purchased genuine Pandas not only from the China mint, Shanghai dealers and individuals, but also from individuals in Australia. Here are just a few American websites that list Chinese Pandas:
    www.apmex.com
    http://www.yellowriverrarecoins.com/shopping.asp?cat=164
    http://www.northeastcoin.com/inventory.jsp

I feel safe buying ASE's and Pandas online... just not from Ebay, or some guy with a dodgy reputation on Ebay. Do your homework, and you will find that there are many safe online dealers to purchase pandas from.

Many thanks to those who consider me a Panda expert. I'm not an expert (or supplier, or dealer)... I'm just an Aussie with an affection for Pandas, a Panda fan. I think the Pandas are the BEST bullion and investment coin on the market today - but I still collect ASEs, PerthMint coins, Masterpieces in Silver, etc. After doing my homework, I came to the conclusion that Pandas are by far the best investment. Many people may/do disagree, but they are entitled to their opinions too. I respect that.

Thanks for your thoughts.

In conclusion. So far I've just been discussing my opinions based on personal and public knowledge. But one undeniable FACT. If you had purchased a standard 2009 Pandas in 2009 instead of a standard ASE in 2009 (not talking about Proofs, PCGS, etc), the value of your standard 2009 Panda would today be more than double the current value of a standard 2009 ASEs. (check it out at APMEX... 2009 Pandas are worth more than double the price of 2009 ASEs).

As Jim Rogers says, "Do your homework." PandaCollector has a really good online subscription which I highly recommend for those interested in getting deeper into Pandas. I think Pandas are the BEST coin investment to be in - but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your interest.

PS> I don't get any kickbacks from PandaCollector and I also have to pay for my subscription to his Panda Pricepedia. :D [a worthwhile investment]

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wasn't aware of any controversy over this, I am the proud owner of a 1906 American Silver Eagle, LIBERTY Dollar, or should that be LIBFRTY Dollar as it is spelt on this one.

I am no expert on ASEs but you could spot this fake from across the room. It didn't come from China either, not directly anyway.

In a tourist souvenir shop in the main tourist street in the main tourist hotspot of Athens, Greece.

I went down to the basement of the shop and there were about 8 to 10 tables heaving under the weight of fake coins. They were being sold in books of 80. The books were labelled "Appreciation on Foreign Countries Ackey" and were piled high. There were two types, one book of American coins and one book on world coins. The owner of the shop assured me repeatedly that they were genuine and that they were real silver. I got the price down from 50 Euro to 35 Euro before I left empty handed.

When I got back to Australia I was kicking myself as I was writing an article on counterfeiting coins and I couldn't remember if the Australian Crown was a 37 or 38. I got a relative to pick up a set when they next went over but they got the American set instead, which wouldn't have been too bad but there were only eight different coins, and ten pages of duplicates. None of them have 'copy' on them.

Nice selection of

1851 Indian Head $1
    1796 Draped bust
    1799 Draped Bust
    1795 Draped bust
    1878 Trade Dollar
    1804 Draped Bust
    1872 Seated Liberty
    1906 ASE

None of them particularly convincing

Also saw a nice selection of World fakes at the Victoria Markets in Melbourne.

I usually get $5 each for them to other collectors who want a fake for the collection.

18. JackCOINgazer

JackCOINgazer New Member

Speaking of ases why are some people offering $70+ for them? i thought silver was $33 (give or take) an oz?

19. fishball

Proofs?

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The coins may be fake walking liberty half dollars. Still the wrong year, but they were minted in the early 1900s and would be as worn. Possibly the reason you don't see the back of these coins is that they don't match the ASE design.