Exits, buys or holds - end of QE2

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by mickjohn, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

In anticipation of the end of QE2 and the fact that I am by all means novice.....

I have exited my modest positions and placed early buy orders at the very bottom (very low) of certain stocks (maybe i can get lucky). I am keeping cash on hand and hope to re-enter the market (ARD, CCU, CVE, KMC etc) at a lower price over the next month.

Can I get opinions or a gauge on what everyone else is doing? Cash is king? are you selling in expectation of a market correction come end of QE2 due to a mass selloff, do you think GFC2 is just around the corner or do you expect a rally in stocks based off positive results from the cessation of QE2?

I am referring specifically to the market reaction of the end of the Feds Quantitive easing program in the very near term.

Thanks in advance. I have already made my decision, just taking a peek at your thoughts.

2. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Mostly in cash, mostly also a novice, I sold all mine over a month ago now. Held on to CCU, but wish I hadn't. Would like to see a massacre but whether it will happen or not I don't know.

3. tthace

tthace New Member

I sold as well. Fortunately before the market got this bad. Ubank 6.5% looking very attractive now.

Shares so cheap. Ccu got to a shocking 70c today. Valued at 58c ( based on vector vest which I use as a rough guide)

still not convinced to jump back in yet. Think bernanke will come out with some stimulus but not qe3. Not sure when but hopefully after June.
    Election 2012. They have funds till august.

Maybe wait for panic selling?
    Energy stocks Looking like good value long term.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Any picks you want to share on the energy side?? I am looking sideways @ AGL...

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Out of the ASX listed companies @ the moment.

Electronic digits are not in my control.

Building up fiat ( keeping powder dry).

May sink some into GOLD. ( & Honey)

My feelings ATM are...If you don't hold it you don't own it.

6. hbBear

hbBear New Member

Thanks for your honesty gang!

I actually sold off all my personal shares approx 4-5 weeks ago in anticipation of lower entry points post QE2.

However in the event that I am completely wrong or that I miss judge my timing I have left all of my shares in my superfund still invested. Im still only young so I feel that I can afford to gamble with the amount of super i have allocated to the shares.

Best of luck to us all!

7. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Im still in, been shuffling around reducing average share prices. Very hard work and nerve racking. Managing to stay afloat with a portfolio at -6% so it hurts, but I have faith in my stocks, and Im learning some great lessons.

I dont believe I'll loose it all - the stocks are still worth their assets and cash flows, so ill be right.

Ill see you guys bright an early on the other side of winter ;)

8. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I'm in "hold mode".

GFC2 or bust! (5 weeks) :p

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This perspective from Nadeem Walayat may be helpful.
    He has a good track record and tackles the issue from a number of perspectives

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article28641.html

if you're sick of commentaries:

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tend to agree Hobo-jo, and most predictions I've seen point to continuing price rises due to inflation. Perhaps the definition of 'bull' market is no longer applicable in this new world we're looking at.

11. tthace

tthace New Member

thatguy: will let you know later after i buy it haha. Very hard to get order filled :( no one wants to let go any cheaper.

I like LNG but a bit worried because of the carbon tax. Hopefully the LNG sector gets exempted.

Big rally over in the US tonight so probably will be a good day on the asx later. Lets see if this bounce is short lived or will it last till end of June.

Could swing anywhere... my strategy is to have about half in shares and half in cash. If a dip comes i can take advantage of it.

We have been talking about a double dip since the first one... maybe if it does come it would be good as we can finally move forward.

12. SilverSanchez

Comodities will pick up the later half of the year, bull market still intact bacause the fundamentals have not changed. The same reason why my stocks were good to get into 6 months ago, is the same reason they are good to stay in now.

13. tthace

tthace New Member

Hey Hobo-Jo, wat ya reckon about MNM? They just announced cap raising at 9.75cents Looks hell cheap after they slid all the way from 20++

14. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

With inflation at >3% and a tax rate on interest at approx 30% that leaves you with 2c in every dollar in your pocket on an annual basis. The cost of living is higher than the underlying inflation rate so I would suggest money in the bank although a nice safe feeling, you are actually going backwards.

15. tthace

tthace New Member

Half of the first 1000$ interest earned is tax free starting July 1. Not suggesting to put it in Ubank forever. More like to park it until the market recovers.

At least it has 0 risk (Govt gurantee). Gold/silver could drop as well. Most important thing is to have cash at hand to take advantage of bad times.

16. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

Ok, but if you want some diversification at the moment where is the best place to park your cash temporarily so you're ready to pounce on opportunities as they arise? Bonds? not likely. Shares? Ha. Property? Not liquid, and ha! At 6.5% you're probably about breaking even with inflation and tax, and you're ready to move quickly if something better comes along.

17. tthace

tthace New Member

yeahhh.. sucks to get burned from that... Least u got something from it. The last time i bought options it went to 0.

Apparently they spending 600k on their gold/silver exploration. Target is 300000-400000 tonnes at AU 2.5-3.5g/t and AG 55-70 g/t

18. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

1. Was contemplating 6 weeks ago transferring my high growth industry super into the cash option, before setting up a SMSF. Didn't, so am sucking lemons now.
    2. Was contemplating selling 1kg PAMPs @ $AUD50. Didn't get there, so sucking lemons on that one. May be selling in the new financial year to help finance a renovation. Stay tuned.
    3. Small fry in a few spec silver/gold miners. Holding.
    4. Appreciating the taste of lemon more so now...
    5. Confusion reigns.

19. tthace

tthace New Member

Not good at all. ASX did not close above 4500. If no bounce tomorrow or more bad news from europe/USA, looking at possibly 4250.

Very happy i sold out now. Everything i wanted is at least 25% cheaper.

20. SilverSanchez

ALL ORDINARIES [XAO] 4,546.700

Yes it did
    ?