eBay Panda discussions

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by fishball, Dec 18, 2011.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Gonna start a thread where we can discuss Pandas and auctions we see on eBay.

Don't really want to spam the whole forum with threads of eBay sales :p

I was on the hunt for some bargain MS69 over the weekend but got shot down by some hardcore bidders.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300637010033

Was hoping to get this 1990 for under $200 but wayyy out of my price range at the end. I believe it is a mislabeled Large Date Panda since it has the serif, NGC label says Small Date.

Suddenly the 1990 MS69 I bought for < $200 seems like a bargain.

Anyway here's another auction for 1990 to keep an eye out for if you're collecting MS 69 Silver Pandas (1oz).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1990-China-Panda-Small-Date-NGC-MS-69-/310365207658

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

AAAARGH! I really want to put an offer on this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-CHI...157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6185131d

But I spent too much - stupid xmas and stupid family wanting pressies and stupid santa with his ho ho ho and stupid fat guts and I still gotta buy a carton of beer for xmas day whinge whinge

I'd offer $132 as a start - plus postage of 16 bucks would mean the 148. Actually if I had $160 to spare I'd offer that incl postage. Waddayareckon?

3. fishball

I paid $150 AU for my 2004, I think your offer is a fair offer.

Or you can try and win this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-SILVER-PANDA-1-OZ-10-YUAN-MS-69-NGC-/190614257969

Speaking of spending too much money, I just chucked $1000+ worth of Pandas onto the credit card, payable in Feburary 2012 :p

Hopefully I will have enough money by then to pay it off haha.

4. Reeve

Reeve Member

I am curious how do you guys pay for these? Do you just use paypal? doesn't it make the coin a lot more expensive???

5. 98PandaBear

98PandaBear New Member

I use Paypal. Actually if i'm not mistaken unless you use the gift option of Paypal the fees are actually put on the seller not the buyer.

6. Reeve

Reeve Member

But don't they take a reasonable fee for currency conversion?

7. BDR

BDR New Member

Some might say unreasonable :eek: .

I do see a lot of Pandas going with NGC, can a normal person get a normal coin NGC verified, and what would be involved in it?

8. Reeve

Reeve Member

I believe you can, there have been a few discussions on this matter. I think you need to send a few coins in at once to make it worth your wild.

9. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Do a search for postings by the member comeaux :)))

10. fishball

The seller has to pay fees unless otherwise negotiated outside of eBay.

I regularly buy outside of eBay, half my slabbed pandas are not from eBay but eBay sellers who deal with me through Paypal only so the fees drop from 11% down to 2.5% - 3.5% and that savings gets passed onto me.

Usually the seller issues an invoice and I just pay it; if you use the send money method you can make the buyer pay the fees instead I think.

2.5% on top of the "spot" (XE) rate. A bit of a rip but it pays off in the long run so whatever.

That's why I'd prefer to buy graded pandas locally in Australia but unfortunately trying to find them here is harder than trying to find a needle in a haystack.

11. xiki

xiki New Member

I was shocked the first time I found how much I had to pay for the currency conversion, but for my next purchase I found I could tell paypal to charge me in usd instead. That way I get the currency prices of my local bank which tend to be much more reasonable. Don't know how that would work in other countries, but worth looking into.

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I make a trick. I change my default currency before pay to the destination currency euro, au, and the credit card fx rate is better than paypal 1 or 1,5 points

14. fishball

I usually use my 28 degrees mastercard, it uses the mastercard FX rate (almost XE's) and it has no fees. Pretty fantastic for online purchases through paypal.

Only problem though was my credit limit is only $4500 on that card (and it was full) so I had to end up using my spare mastercard which sucks more than Paypal rates :(.

But in the long run it shouldn't really matter. I calculated for every $1000 AU I paid an extra $22, which isn't all that much when considering how I bargain very hard for my coins so whatever.

15. fishball

Thought I'd talk about an eBay seller I recently bought off from.

His eBay ID is bluesauction: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/bluesauction/m.html

He is 'safe' as in his coins are legitimate and has some graded Pandas however his shipping prices are retarded.

I paid almost the price of EMS shipping and got regular ($3.45 padded bag) postage and on his newer listings he is charging $35 and offering shipping as regular post only (no tracking #).

I think he is doing this because he doesn't want to 'lose money' selling cheap.

Not to say avoid him completely but as a warning to any potential buyers out there his shipping is very high so don't bid too high for the coins!

16. low

low New Member

Hi,

I am a new member here.

I bought a coin from bluesauction last month. Postage by registered mail to Malaysia is US$25. My concern is not the high postage but rather the condition of the coin.

The coin is an NGC mislabelled 1990 1oz silver panda small date (It is large date, and I think there are plenty of these mislabelled coins on ebay). I suspect his knows it well. And any Panda collector knows it well (though I am not.)

Furthermore the coin has a faint milk spot on panda's head. Not mentioned.

Just saying, not all graded coins are the same. Sometimes coins went for cheap price because they are below average for the stated grade. Sometimes coins went higher because people didn't look carefully.

One thing for sure, I will be very, very careful if I ever buy from bluesauction again. Not a safe seller for me. Sorry fishball.

17. fishball

No need to be sorry man, if they're bad sellers I want everyone to know too. My coin was fine, that's why I thought he was fine but apparently not!

Yes there are plenty mislabeled 1990 SD on eBay, I posted one a while back and people were bidding 250+ for it. Crazy.

Bluesauction has ZERO communication as well, no tracking no nothing. The only reason I bought off him was because I got the coin really cheap by winning an auction as opposed to BIN.

18. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Avoid buying from:

lazerread (milky graded pandas, poor descriptions)

insman2007 (fake, inexperienced panda collector)

dannta (milky graded pandas, uses stock photos)

reloj1967 (idiot sent wrong coin and still hasn't resolved the issue)

john112533029 (fake, inexperienced panda collector)

xanathi (terrible photos and descriptions)

19. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

We could well start a list of ebay sellers to avoid when buying panda ...

20. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker