Ebay Name and Shame.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by southerncross, Nov 23, 2012.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So I place a winning bid on a nice looking lot of coins, Perth Mint Lunar Dragon NGC 2000--MS68, 2000-MS69, 2012-MS70 for a winning bid of $209.00 . That was twenty days ago, I paid immediately and then waited a good five days before asking if items had been posted (I also paid extra for registered post and signature as offered by the seller). No answer upon asking but the postal status of the item did change to posted after asking . Eight days later I get a message asking if I have received coins and to leave feedback, I inform the seller nothing yet and ask for the tracking number. Receive a message three days later saying that he sent it regular mail and will look into it from his end, three days later after asking if there was any news I get a message back stating that he'd hoped I'd received the coins already and " I'm not sure if I can claim a refund for you through PayPal or not... I hope so...if not I will have to refund you.... what do think??? this hasn't happened to me before."

The person has one disgruntled customer who seems to have suffered a similar thing over gold and I know for a fact he had the same items up for sale as a buy it now for over $400.00 recently, I think my chain has been jerked and the seller is just unwilling to part with the product's at the auction price. I have told the seller as much but am still waiting for a refund, the money isin't a lot and if he had any brains he would just refund it as asked and keep his coins rather than pissing me off and risk having his name dragged through the mud.

Fact is I will get it back through paypal one way or another and jerking me along will only result in me posting neg feedback and harming his business.

(/end rant)

2. slipage

slipage New Member

bad luck there mate, sounds a little suss paying extra for registered and than him sending it regular.. He should offer you a full refund outside of paypal...

Hes already breached the terms of the sale and ebay should be notified

Does he have a high ebay feedback rating?

3. southerncross

Not really, doesn't have a detailed seller rating but only the one negative from the gold buyer mentioned above, plenty of happy customers and an overall 100% from the last 12 months but mostly as a buyer. The thing that irks me is the fabricated story and lack of response, I know for a fact I will get my money back in full and if the dumbass did as well he would of placed my funds in my account by now, 24 hr's and counting with only 24 left till I take it personally.

Located in WA, feedback of 233, .... more to follow

4. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

here's my experience. i bought a silver coin from UK last year and post it back after i found it's edge been strong damaged (seller's picture and description mentioned nothing about the damage). Then I sent the coin back to UK through registered service. One month later the seller said he has not received my parcel so cannot afford me any refund. While I provided him with tracking number etc, he said there nothing on postal status (parcel can only be tracked inside Australia).

I thought i was in bad luck and it might be Post Office's fault. however, I was totally wrong. One day I typed same key-word in UK Ebay search and that seller's name showed up again, he was trying to sell a coin has exactly same name, pictures, description with the one I bought and returned. So i send a message to him ask why. Another five days later (after the new auction finished) i received his reply saying that coin is not the one which he sold to me, he've got five of them, etc. I replied him in a very kind tone, although i know all he said are total crap and bull shit. I asked him if what he said is true, then why he use exactly same picture, description, even title? Guess what, he replied me another two days later with something like "I do not like you". that's all he replied.
    I mean wht the Fxx? are there any relations between non-refund and dislike a buyer? I would like to provide his ebay ID to any SS member who regularly buy things from UK. Cheers

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd gather as much info as you can about the seller.

Ebay has a feature where you can get more info on the seller: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/questions/contact-seller.html

Give the seller a phone call. Put it on speaker, and have a friend listen. Make sure you identify the seller by their full name. You can judge quickly whether they're scamming you.

If you have all their correct info you can then either start a claim in small claims court, or forward the info on to the police (for fraud investigation).

I had a similar problem on 3bay a few years ago. If I hadn't gathered all the seller's correct info, I would have never got my cash back.

6. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Good luck with it, I've had similar experiences.

7. soupdragon

soupdragon Member

Hi southerncross

Yep had similar experiences with ebay. Always pay with paypal using credit card. When the item doesn't arrived, I always contact the seller saying haven't got the item and immediately start the paypal dispute process.

paypal has in my experience has always refunded within 90 days. If the item arrives before the dispute is resolved - close the case.
    The paypal dispute process is pretty painless.

Never happened - but if the paypal dispute failed, I would be onto my credit card company.

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Paypal dispute failed for me to the tune of circa $1700. I won't forgive them for that either. Mastercard came to my rescue.

9. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Try this on ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5i_m9k7Wos[/youtube]

10. JollyKillBill

JollyKillBill Member

HA

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just put in a paypal claim .he has no case ,if he can't provide a tracking no ,his loss .
    A big $ item like that I would have sent platinum xpress ,

12. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

i find it rather distressing that all the cost of a lost auspost or who ever is delivering an item is to be born by the sender how is this the case ? does not the buyer also take part in the transaction ? is not Australia post the person who lost an item. would not the lost item be both parties risk and responsibility? at worst the cost should be split 50/50 and at best paid for by the person who lost it i'e Australia post.

paypal have made a society of people who can not take responsibility for their actions!

you know who needs to be named and shamed EBAY AND PAYPAL shame shame shame for creating a generation who can not take responsibility for their actions.

pretty turtled up world we are making :|

13. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This started way before Paypal came into being....

14. soupdragon

soupdragon Member

the ebay/paypal "insurance" covers both parties in the transaction. As a seller, I'm able to have "protection" if the item is send to the buyers verified address.
    So both buyer and seller are not out of pocket - hence why paypal fees make you walk with a limp.

Does this allow some sellers rip people off / take no responsibility? Sure - but these people are in the minority.

Non ebay/paypal sales its the seller who need to mitigate against the risk of loss/"not delivered" by sending the item with postage insurance. Insurance will pay 100% of the item and refund the buyer. If it gets lost and the seller refuses to refund, the buyer has little recourse. Maybe small claims.

I remember a small business I bought an expensive item from. It never arrived and when I phone, the owner said "i sent it", I waited and it never arrived. I asked for a refund, she said no. Had I bought by bank deposit - it would have been a problem. Luckily it was credit card and it was sorted out quickly. I called CC company and within a few days she phoned to say I will re-send the item. *miracle*. IMO she was in the wrong by not insuring an expensive item.

Point I'm trying to make is, when dealing with a complete stranger who you don't meet face-to-face its best to have some type of way of getting your money back.

On silver stackers forum, I've had a few trades. I always pay for insurance. I also hope the feedback/reputation system will keep both parties honest. :cool:

15. southerncross

I paid for registered + tracking number, seller "say's" he sent it via regular post despite me paying for the more expensive option. Seller also had the items as one lot BIN for over $400 a week or so before the auction, if you "were" going to send the item would you not do so with registered post and tracking number ?
    It also a requirement of Ebay and Paypal that items over a certain value are sent Registered post.

Item # 251176402031 if you click on the see all details under the postage cost, it clearly shows signature and tracking. If the dumbass wants to save $2,50 he should be prepared to wear the cost's of HIS actions, why should I as a buyer.

16. Auspm

Auspm New Member

This thread is just a reminder of why I don't buy or sell on eBay

17. dross

dross Active Member

uuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm

The buyers responsibility:

Pay for an item within the specified time frame.
    If given a choice of payment options, choose which best suits them.
    If no free delivery offered, pay for the freight.
    If offered a choice of regular, registered, insured or traceable options choose & pay for the one they decide upon.

The sellers Responsibility:

Decide before placing items for auction on what options they want to offer & or risks those option pose.
    Send item as described in auction once paid for within the required time frame.
    Send item via mode paid for.

If things go wrong due to missing in transit it should be the person who decided not to either offer tracking, insurance etc or the person who chose not to pay for tracking / insurance etc.

Their should be at least communication between both parties to solve the situation to the mutual satisfaction of both parties. When an impasse is meet that's when a 3rd impartial party is supposed to get involved, that is one reason why people choose particular auction site over another. Its a two way street & is not always one way or the other, nothing in life is.

Their are unfortunately always going to be a few conman on both sides of the fence also so its a balanced risk regardless of how much you suss a seller or buyer out.

18. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I reckon this (All speculation and shall not be used in evidence) :

Seller not happy with auction price. Pretends to post. SC doesnt get goods, cracks them. Seller says "not sent registered" despite SC requesting and paying for such (hope you have this in writing SC, you win your ebay/paypal case). Seller "whoops, no paypal coverage for me." Seller wears paypal chargeback and possible loss of listing fees and neg feedback from SC. Seller (eventually) pays back SC. Seller then asks for SC to withdraw neg feedback cos he's been so kind and had to pay you back out of own pocket cos lost in mail. Seller sells some other bits and pieces for a while and in a few months time when they think nobody will notice lists them again cos they will have magically re-appeared in the post back to him. SC might notice this and contact seller. Seller says "I had your address wrong so the nice postman brought them back to me. Arent I lucky!"

But of course I probably dont have the foggiest. :p

19. southerncross

I reckon your a friggin clairvoyant EM, cept for the cracking it bit, I don't often get mad, I was quite sedate and the seller has had plenty of time to make restitution off his own back but failed to do so, and i wont be withdrawing the feedback left as I don't do it lightly , it went like this.

I gave him a good 48hr's to respond then took appropriate action to get my funds back by lodging a claim and leaving feedback, the result ? I will get my money back and his feedback dropped from 100% to 97.7 in an instant, all the dumbass had to do was refund my money or at least communicate the intention of doing so.

I understand people hate losing money, but I also hate being jerked around and I think I was patient enough.

20. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

i understand all comments :)

but i think we are all missing the bigger picture .

big business scratching each others balls and then shafting the little guys.

me not real impressed with being shafted :(

shame lies with eBay, paypal and Australia post basically they make rules to screw us of our money and are not held responsible for providing the service we pay for instead they make us pay for their fuck ups and then make out we did it and the worst part is we believe them, fuck them.