Downies pricing

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Auagau, Mar 7, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

W Davis & Son (forum sponsor) has good prices - caveat is that Peter's inventory changes daily.

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Are you saying that because they have the best prices or because they're sponsors lol.

3. goldpelican

4. RANDOM1

RANDOM1 New Member

I just rang Downies head office and they are quoting $44.29 today.
    I informed the polite person I spoke with that this was a huge difference to what they display on their website i.e. $35?!
    She said they were selling them for $32 not long ago so the price has been put up? What??!!! Makes no sense to me :eek:

5. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Their premiums on the smaller PM gold coins look great.

edit.

hell if they honour those prices I might start buying 1/4 ounces off them. Seems to good to be true. If I was in Melbourne I'd be buying a 1/10 every other week.

6. silverc

silverc New Member

I just bought the Kookaburras as well for $35 each and I have the same email receipt. Will await the phone call. Very poor business practice.

7. goldpelican

That pricelist is updated every few minutes according to spot - it's referenced at the time of purchase as "the going price" - I can speak from experience that the prices are definitely honored. As I said though, the caveat is that the inventory is always changing - just because there's a price listed doesn't mean that item is available - depends on what people have been selling back.

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Wdavis does indeed have good prices and as you say the availability is dependent upon inventory. Will be looking to them when I make my next purchase of gold. One problem I do have though is that you don't know whether they have the item in stock. You send an email and wait a day for a response. Is it too difficult to have n/a next to an item if it is unavailable?

9. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably yes.

The price list would be hooked up to a spot ticker which adjusts the price automatically (no idea where they get their spot price from).

The availability would be based on whatever bullion walks into the shop and is manually bought back. New stock could be sitting on the shelf for only a few minutes before someone else walks in and buys it, so updating the stock list in real time would be time consuming and quickly outdated. There are also possible security issues with publishing your entire inventory on the web.

Personally, I'd rather have accurate pricing and unknown availability than inaccurate pricing and known availability.

10. millededge

millededge Active Member

Agreed

I've not seen a better deal on 1/10 fractional gold, virtually 1/10 of the asking price of a full nugget

Not to mention, a really excellent spread sheet of prices - very easy to digest