Does anyone think the Canadian Wildlife Series interest is waning?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by upandaway, Apr 30, 2012.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

I keep a close eye on some of the big European dealer stocks. Have to say that they still have a load of Grizzlies left, a ton of the cougar and the new moose (which I think is a real nice coin) is actually going for as low ($) as any of the multiple million issues you care to mention.

Not sure if it is so in Australia as I'd imagine the dealers don't have anywhere near the demand as Europe or stock for that matter but I'm a little surprised the Grizzly isn't sold out nor the cougar's price risen to reflect dwindling supplies. Possibly the series interest is not what it was after the initial wolf flew out the monster boxes?

I don't think the white spot issues have helped. I have bought just a handful of the Moose and cougar after buying a fair few of the grizzly.

2. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

The milk spots imo destroyed the series... I sold all of mine that didn't have the spots because i lost interest.

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the premium are not worthy of the spots, so at most you keep less than 5, if you have more, you have more problems with all the spots. its not spotty cougars you know, or spotty bears or spotty meesee :)

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

You may be right or perhaps the shine has been taken off silver due to its fall in price. Even more of a concern seeing it plummet today.
    In time however, interest may return especially if the premium stays low.
    Personally, I am continuing with the series since I have all the coins issued to date.
    Once I have collected all the series I may considering selling the full sets if the opportunity arises or I need some fiat.
    Who knows if there will be interest ?

5. marker

marker New Member

Hello all, new commenter here. Just registered to add to this thread on canadian wildlife series...
    Interest in these coins is certainly not waning here, just the opposite, and the value is going up with it. Just noticed over the weekend that my LCS is selling grizzlies for $59.95 CAD ( I'm in Canada). That is equal to the wolfs, and a big jump up from the currant price of the cougar ($35.86), and the moose ($34.42), and they have put a strict limit of 1 grizzly per customer!
    Hope this helps show where this series is going.
    Cheers

6. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

I like the coins and only have a tube of cougars which i got for a good price at the time. Not looking at buying any of them at premium (apart from minimum premium all coins have over spot) due to hearing how alot of them grow milk spots.

7. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, ONLY 1st one, the Wolf, holding up in price. That means, Hoarders are only hording that one.

8. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

yeh the designs have steadily declined I think but the real killer is the milk spots. Difficult to justify when there are other great coin designs with comparable premiums and no spots. RCM need to pick up their game

9. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

The early ones are ugly, they all have the milk spot blues... only safe investment is buying the current year one near spot.. book profits fast before they milk up or seal them quick smart.. i like the moose but the timber wolf was a nasty design as was the grizzly.

RCM is rubbish... they care not about customer satisfaction.. its becoming a trend of the mints..

1for1

10. Irondog

Irondog New Member

My interest in this series has declined and I will not be adding significant numbers of future issues in this series to my stack. The design and quality leave much room for improvement and I'm not willing to pay a premium for such poor craftsmanship. I predict the RCM will reduce the mintage of at least one out of the remaining two coins in this series.

Comparing a 2011 Grizzly to a 2011 Panda reveals the considerably superior workmanship, and trade-craft, of the Chinese Mint. I don't like admitting that, but the sad truth is the truth. If you planned on flipping these for a profit, it's all about finding the right buyer(s), and they may not become the huge money maker you would've liked. Good luck with those Grizzlies Upandaway(OP) and may the milk-spot gremlins overlook your stack. I wasn't so lucky Hahaha.

11. traderpinoy

traderpinoy New Member

stopped getting this after the 2nd coin in the series. spots a bit of a turn off

12. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Call me nuts but i think the milk spots increase the value Of the series(for those who hold coins without milk spots, obviously). That said, it is in rcm's best interest to make the next coin a really killer design. The cougar was awful and the moose was good only because it was better than the cougar.

13. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, good quality Grizzlies and Wolves should do very well... especially if they grade MS69 or MS70.

14. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Let's not forget that these coins are essentially raw bullion with a stamp. They are little more than rounds and some rounds are crap. The RCM is not trying to compete with the Pandas etc. reflected in the price.
    As for milk spots, you are unlucky if your coins have them. If you are collecting Maples for numismatic purposes then you are collecting the wrong coins. There will always be buyers willing to pay a premium for fine silver with limited mintages, whether Maples or shiny rounds. On the same note, check the premiums paid for fancy bars. An ounce of 9999 silver is just that - metallic silver, but if you like a hologram or detailed fine patterns, that's okay but it is no purer a metal and only worth what someone else will pay.

15. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Genround<phil<ASE<maple<taku<libertad<Nark<koala<RCM WL<panda<kook<lunar

16. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You appear to be saying that a generic round is the best and lunar is the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater-than_sign

17. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

These coins are a better buy than the Maple or ASE so if you can buy them with the same or lower premium than the maple of ASE then that's worth it !

18. frogman

frogman New Member

i just bought a roll of moose and a roll of cougar
    no milk spots on any of them
    they look great

where can you buy grizzlies for a good price ?

19. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Do the milk spots form regardless if the tube has been opened or not? Someone here a while back said when they opened their tubes the coins were great, but two weeks later they had a coin version of type II herpes all over them. I will still get a tube of moose regardless while they are still cheap.. wouldn't mind a tube of grizzlies price is right also

20. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

I had mint wolves and grizzlies, 2 of each, they looked perfect when I got them. I put them in air-tites last year and just checked on them this week and they've all developed milk spots :(