Denial, Fiat Stress & Admitting that your a Silver Addict

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dynoman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I have been in panic buying mode for the last few months. Every spare cent I can get my hands on is transferred into Silver. I happily forgo common luxuries in favour of the white metal. It's a bit of a standing joke in my shared accommodation situation. Oh are you onto Baked Beans again D....That time of the month is it ?

Particularly, I found my self feeling a bit low towards the end of this month. Lost my usual spark, feeling lethargic and a bit washed out. Then I realised it's because I can't afford anymore silver until next pay day and some other financial priorities are tapping me on the shoulder.

Yes, I certainly push it to the limits. With the sacrifice comes the reward of seeing my stack grow rapidly over a short period of time.

So I have to say it to the group "My username is Dynoman, and I'm a Silver addict"

2. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

Better position than the 50% of people that are addicted to buying crap on credit cards that is usually broken or forgotten by the time the credit card and interest is paid off.

3. downer

downer New Member

I think your an addict when you laugh at people investing in houses using the premise they always go up in price, but check spot price every hour and cant wait for pay day to buy some more bars becasue silver is going to $150 baby!!! :cool:

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I hear you, I told myself at the start of the month I didn't need to buy any Au/Ag this month as I had spent big in Jan and was happy with my position in the interim, enough that I can wait for some dips to buy.

Well I couldn't get through the month and I failed, not badly but a fail none the less. Can not kick this habit :)

5. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Since i have started buying silver i eagerly await when the postman will arrive - feel like a highschool graduate waiting to find out his OP score!

Every week !!!

6. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Yes, just when you think the bargains are over, along comes another you just can't resist.

7. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

I blow my monthly budget on the 1st or 2nd of each month. Then scrape together what I can for the rest of the month to buy more.

It especially pisses me off, when i've got no spare fiat left, and someone posts a 1kg bar on here for sale. Always a smidgeon below PM or BB, and always after i've swapped all my fiat already.

This has been my quietest month. No bargains fell into my lap.

I would dearly love to have a "dealer" that I could just wander into, grab 1oz here and there with spare cash. Having to do all over the Net, is a bit restrictive for 1-2 oz bars including the postage.

Oh to live in Perth. First time in my life i've ever thought that!

Yes, I'm an addict. My friends and family think it's very strange. But, it's just another one of those crazy fads I'm getting into. Nothing unusual.

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Ha ! Yeah me too it's pretty funny, what I have found is that the people I trade with are of a similar vein, generally friendly & well organised individuals. I do sometimes wonder why they're selling but I guess if they bought in at $4 oz then they are reaping reward.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I've been stacking a year and only reached about 10% of my desired first stopping point. Life gets in the way of our stacking choices and it's very easy to get carried away in the moment and panic when spot moves up quickly.

I know it, we've all been there and it's frustrating for those who only have a limited income.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with your ideals on stacking though. Skipping a dinner on just something small to buy an extra ounce is actually commendable.

But as with all things, you require a balance.

Facing the reality here gents, unless you're a big time trader with many thousands of ounces to your name, the eventual break out of silver isn't going to set you up for retirement. Oh you may get a nice little profit on the speculative trade, but I doubt the majority of us are going to quit our jobs and go sip mai thais down the beach for a living once it's said and done.

You have to be practical about your stacking choices and put aside that guilt when you buy a take away coffee instead of hitting up the instant, because it saved you 5 grams in silver.

It will just burn you out a lot quicker and sap your motivation.

Just like going on a very strict diet or exercise program is not sustainable long term, so does stacking beyond comfortable limits as well. You need to kick back, relax, take a little time out and admit to yourself that it's okay to not spend every single spare cent on silver or you'll kick yourself later.

Fact is, many of you are going to wish you had more in the end anyway when it eventually moves, no matter how much you have at all.

So accept that some weeks there will be no incoming silver at all. That's life and we all have other commitments. The moment you put aside everything else and only spend your income on metal, you need to reassess.

I've been stacking a year now and my stack has moved up and down over that time. I peaked at 240 ounces in silver last August after a mad rush to buy in the first 6 months but a life event kicked my stack back down to under 100 ounces. It hurts, but that's life.

But what that event allowed me to do we take stock, reassess and realise that no matter how much you want to buy, life will still bring things up and you have to deal with it. Putting aside a little fiat to cover the bumps is by FAR preferential to having to liquidate your precious stack when you don't want to.

So buy a little here, a little there and be content and focus on the long term.

Stack sizes will come and many of those here with the larger stacks got there through a long term, consistent vision than a feeding frenzy on peaks.

MOST of the silver I have gained so far this year came purely from gifts and I'm content with that. First quarter is always a shocker for anyone with school age kids and you just have to roll with the punches.

You will absolutely not last in this game if you go hell for leather and burn yourselves out. Keeping a few bob in the account for the odd deal here on SS is actually highly advisable and will satisfy the craving for metal (and the hunting instinct) you gatherers have.

Slow down. Treat yourself to a nice meal or a good evening out. Get back to balancing out your life and you'll be stackers next year, the year after and the year after that.

Even in the last year I've seen too many people fly through here like a shooting star and then burn out.

That reminds me, where the hell IS Kenny lately?

10. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I enjoy a good fondle of different items that I keep on hand.

slow & steady wins the race & enjoy the view from the trip.

11. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

so what happens when you burn out? do you stop buying??

i dont think anyone here would have been buying at $4...

at a guess i'd say most either got in at the $22 or so peak in 2008.... or in the last 6 months on the way up... it's just human nature.

12. newspeak

newspeak New Member

Auspm, you hit the nail on the head, my sentiments exactly. I am building a house here for my lovely family for the last couple months and find it hard to swallow the amount of available fiat left for my
    second love (AG). Between permitting fee's, building materials and bills, life gets expensive, so a little silver & gold here and there is the way I will continue my stack, granted I'm right along your numbers, I am a happy man knowing I am providing in more ways than one for my family. When our U..S.dollar is finally irrelevant and all the incremental fiat currency worldwide transforms to nothing, at least I will have something to fall back on regardless the size. This is my way of having something left after the takeover is complete. The three b's are a way of life now, sad but true. The point is, you do what you can when you can, plan for the worst, hope for the best. God Bless All.

13. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

i dont deny it.......i dont stress.......and i am happy to admit i am a silver addict..............short and sweet!

14. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

being an addict .....however, doesnt mean i have to change my life to be emotionally involved with the stuff....i have read enough about the markets to know what to look for....i stay involved enough on here to keep me enthusiastic knowing that others are also stacking.......BUT ......i dont live and breath silver and allow it to take over my life................in fact...if that happened i would probably take some time out to "get a life"......

15. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Sparky from TX was one of the lucky ones that bought in early. Me $16 :( In hindsight that was a good point. A friend kept badgering me to get on it. I thought he was a bit out there & then finally the penny dropped.

16. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I'll admit it.....I'm addicted to making money.

I stopped buying silver 6 months ago and unless we see a major crash I probably wont buy again. I've got my core position so I'll just ride the wave now.

I must admit it was addictive while I was accumulating and I actually ended up buying twice as much as I originally planned.

If there is one thing you don't need when timing your exit from any booming market it's emotion so I've cured myself of the silver addiction in preparation.

For me, silver is just another vehicle to get to the same destination.

There will come a time when I'm happy to have no silver.

Except for maybe my crowns and my florin set. I'll pass them on to the kids.

C

17. bennybbc

bennybbc Member Silver Stacker

I picked up a copy of Australian Hard Asset Investor Magazine on Tuesday at lunchtime. When I got back to my car I had to have a peak at all the sexy pics of gold and silver, I couldn't wait to get back to work to have a look. I felt like a teenager that just picked up his first playboy.

Last week I sat on the toilet looking at a 2oz Tiger instead of reading my dirt bike mag.

I am Bennybbc and I have a problem.
    I am a Silver addict.

18. beyondfiat

beyondfiat Active Member Silver Stacker

i'm troyozs
    i am a silver addict
    grateful today to be active in my addiction

been on board this train half a dozen years snoozing along, think that one of these next stations will be the last before an express move north.
    Hope you are hanging on, and don't get shaken out in the waves, they are going to be CHOPPY.
    troyozs

19. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

Looks like were all safe if we get attacked by ware-wolves.

20. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Bastards, they Killed Kenny :eek: