Counterfeit Perth Mint Funnel-Web Spider coins now being advertised

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Apr 16, 2015.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you sure? :) There's two images there.

This is how it progresses: initially the coin is advertised as a replica from the original manufacturers(but without any indication on the object itself). Eventually others buy and sell them until they start moving through the community and some people come to mistakenly beleive they are legitimate. That's why it would be helpful to have "replica" on the object itself.

2. SpacePete

When you check these manufacturers on Alibaba or Aliexpress, many do say they can manufacture custom coins if requested, but the demand seems to be more for these sorts of fakes. They are leveraging the marketing and design effort of the original mint and profiting from it.

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

All the fakes i have seen would not convince a stacker even a new one like me that they were real!

I am sure some fakes are very good and always have been but not these mass produced bad quality fakes.

Its fine to look at youtube vids of other peoples fakes but in real life they are rubbish and very easily distinguishable from the genuine item with not much more than a glance.

All coin collectors and stackers need to get some in person to see them and feel them, these coins are made for opportunistic ebay sellers preying on the ill informed who do not read the item description fully. if those same buyers could see and touch the coins first they would not buy them.

Many things are shiny silver and many things are shiny gold but the majority of people have grown up knowing most of it is not real silver or not real gold

4. quarterounce

quarterounce New Member

Have the Chinese gotten to 1/2oz coins yet?

5. MasterID

MasterID Member

I will show you all the real things in photo and deliver the fakes to you, onus on you to prove you did not swap with fakes, and then all the effort to get your money back.

How about I put a few pieces into the tube and sealed it (frankly I haven't seen the sealed so I won't know if someone used a fake seal)? And the tubes into a MB.

In summary, fakes are bad.

6. SolidFOOSER

SolidFOOSER Member

I saw a thread on here earlier about fake perth mint 1/2oz sharks.....so yes...they have got that covered already

7. SilverTabbyCat

SilverTabbyCat New Member

I cannot believe that horrifying creature is this popular

8. fishtaco

This is why smart people only buy unseen from a reputable source, if the fakes were sold un seen in a large quantity to a buyer in a dupe then the buyer would be a fool because a reputable seller would not knowingly do this and ruin their reputation.

People purchase these fake coins and bars for many reason but the biggest is opportunistic re sale profit at the expense of the foolish.

With ebay it is the reverse of what you say! a buyer can claim fake and the onus is on the seller to prove they did not send the fake that has been returned and was not the coin they sold and sent to the buyer, this would also in reality only happen with a small time opportunistic dishonest buyer that could not be repeated over and over by the same buyer.

These Chinese fakes made in bulk are laughable quality plain and simple, they are a bit like the fake gold plated sovereign rings that are sold at all the tourist markets in London for 5 quid, they are not fooling anyone but the fool .

Some SS members are getting their panties in a twist over nothing! I dont agree with the fakes but they are not such a threat as thought by some.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the threat is more to do with the damage to the hobby rather than the chances of picking up a fake coin.

Most people in the hobby can pick a fake a mile away when they are as poor quality as these.

However if you are not in the hobby but interested in getting started and all you hear is "China is pumping out fakes!", "You have to be really careful or you will get ripped off!", "The fakes are getting better and better each year!" then you might think twice about dipping your toes in.

Or if you are interested in putting some gold and silver aside as an investment and all your friends, relatives and financial advisers are telling you about the fakes they read about in the papers or online it might put you off.

Anything that makes it harder for me to sell my coins in the future is going to be a threat. If I have to get everything certified or tested then that is going to make it more expensive and harder.

Fortunately there will always be some people who can tell the difference but it does shrink the market down a bit.

10. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

how can you easily identify the fake funnel web spider coins?

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

genuine ones are already milkspot all over the coins. Mine already and Steve's ones too..so if you spot this coin no milky....should question it hahaha

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

aham,thanks.that would raise another question,how liquid are they close to spot?

13. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Probably because to the government it's not "real" money. Just those silly coin things those collectors buy :rolleyes:
    If you could buy $20 notes on Alibaba you'd bet your bottom dollar the feds would be all over them like a rash.

14. Antalon

Antalon Active Member Silver Stacker

15. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Please note, many Aliexpress sellers use pictures of the real gov made coins, but send far inferior coins to purchasers. I have seen fake silver Maples and they are easy to spot. If you read the comments on sellers of the fake gov minted coins (and some generic ones) you will see some buyers complaining that the coin(s) they received did not look like the ones in the photos. Gee, what a surprise that would be.

I would also opine that 90% or more Aliexpress sellers DO NOT say copy or replica, especially on the counterfeit private refiner bars like Silvertowne, NWTM, etc.

Jim

16. bassmuso

bassmuso New Member

Just recently I was supplied 10 strange 1 oz Silver Buffalo coins with a replacement order (they could not supply what I wanted) which I had never seen before.
    They had poor detailing but weighed OK . I was suspect that they where fake.Even after searching the net I was unable to find either another supplier who sold
    these or even a picture from Google images. As a result I contacted my supplier & requested a replacement. They agreed but said the coins where 999 fine Silver.
    Being inquisitive I carried on searching the net, after a couple more hours I find a similar coin but in gold not silver with identical side facing buffalo & full headdress Indian chief
    Identical except Gold & the detailing far superior for around $9.00 USD each.
    This was found on alibaba.com. As a interesting experiment I found 6 or 7 1 oz coins & bars (fake of course) that could be bought as samples.
    A couple days ago the first one arrived a 1oz 2013 American silver eagle, cost me around $10.00 NZD (free shipping from China)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These coins from my research are minted by the Central Mint of China in Taiwan and the mint does actually mint true PM's as well as 'Replicas & Souvenirs'

I tried to find coins of which I had real ones including a Canadian Maple with the security mark (seemed a bit big on the pic to be convincing) also a Funnel Web coin
    shipped yet received,an exact replica of a Highland Mint American Buffalo Coin, which I have some real ones to compare.

The American Eagle would pass as good if you didn't have another to compare with, it is a little smaller in diameter, detailing not as fine (but very good nonetheless)
    the reason I have bought these is to experiment with various testing methods for Silver on know fake bullion so I can test with confidence the Silver I buy.

The tests I can do are
    1 Ping Test - balance on finger & strike with another coin - should sound like a little bell & ring out for a time
    2 Weight test - simple but fakes, as the American eagle I bought can be slightly under weight
    3 Magnet test- using Neodymium magnets a true 999 fine coin will not stick to the magnet but will slide slowly down a 45'angle
    4 Specific Gravity test- this uses a accurate digital scales, water, suspension method to calculate the SG of the material - Silver has an SG of 10.49
    5 Physical test- Compare with original - some mints provide accurate measurements which can be confirmed with using a vernier gauge.
    6 Ultra Sonic thickness test - every metal has a unique known density and can be measured with ultrasonics. This method is not so good for coins but
    more appropriate for bullion bars 10 oz + as the lower limits on the inexpensive testers are 1.2mm

I have done a report on this coin compared to a real 2012 coin. The results where interesting especially the SG
    The fake came out out 8.38 while the real was 10.61 (not pure Silver .999)

Hope this was informative

17. fishtaco

It looks fake straight away for a reason that most people who have seen ase,s would know, same as the perth mint fakes!

18. bassmuso

bassmuso New Member

19. SpacePete

Same corporate group.

20. bassmuso

bassmuso New Member

For your information:

some more fakes have arrived
    They all are under weight so would be no problem to identify.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_funnelweb_frnt.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_funnelweb_bk.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_maple_gold_bk.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_maple_gold_frnt.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_maple_gold_frnt_security_mk.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_perth_1oz_au_frnt.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/16925_perth_1oz_au_bk.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]