Canadian Silver Bullion Coins - good buy?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by oxiosl, Sep 23, 2011.

1. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Hi,

I was interested in opinions of the Canadian 1 ounce silver bullion coins - are a good buy? Would it be a good idea to get a roll of them now?

I think I read here (can't find it now) that the Canadian maples don't have a limited mintage, and are probably not the best buy. Is this correct? If it is, should I be looking into the kookaburras (500,000mintage)? What would you guys advise is the best bullion coins to buy a roll of?

I was looking into purchasing today (with the dip). Was going to get the bars, so I didn't get a chance to properly research the Canadian maples. I have now been persuaded to get the coins as they would be worth more when it comes time to resell. So any advice if they would be a good buy or not would be appreciated.

Thank you. :)

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Maples are very nice, but 1 is enough. Any coin that changes with the year is the best bet IMHO. Cougars might look better in real life? Buy now :) cry later ;..(

3. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Okay thanks a lot, makes sense. I won't get the maple roll. Maybe it would be better to get a variety of different ones anyway. The roll was good because it would protect them as they don't come with casings individually. But I think that was just for the maples. I will have another look into the online stores with some more options.

Thanks for the reply.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Maples no premium appreciation. Canadian Wildlife Series excellent premium appreciation, with the possible exception of the Cougar.

5. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

wow just no love for the cougar anywhere! haha

6. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

The canadian wildlife ones would be nice. AMPEX looks like the only store I can find with the best variety. Would love to get the canadian wildlife, pandas, a bit of everything. But I will need to look into the postage, gst process a bit more carefully first.

I have found some smaller rolls on Bullion Bourse, which would be okay for now = 5x2oz 2012 dragons or 10x1oz Kookaburras. A bit cheaper then the Perth Mint. Which of those 2 picks would be the best? The dragons are unlimited mintage I think, but would they still be a good buy? 2oz isn't too big for reselling is it? Quite like the dragons, but that might be from all the hype! But think maybe the kooks will be the best way to go.

Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate your opinions and advice.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Go with the wolf or grizzly because their priced low now because of spot

8. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Ampex have them for a great price right now. Do you know any online Aussie stores I can find them in? If Ampex had a lower purchase limit, just half, it would make it much easier to just jump in.

Thanks.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

APMEX uses Fedex for shipping which will incur a "GST" on your shipment.

It is important to take note of that when buying overseas and especially when Fedex is used as the shipper.

Investment grade bullion is GST-free but Fedex applies its own tax laws for no other reason than sheer criminal incompetence.

10. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

11. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Oh, I found the grizzly bear on the BullionBouse, wish they had the wolf as well. I get lost on that site a bit, but I discovered some extra pages just now. $46, is this good for the Grizzly? I would like to get one , or should I get more at the price? Wouldnt mind a cougar as well to mix it up. But they are individual or in 25 only, I think a bit too many for now. Unless... would the grizzlys be better then the kooks even though they are double the mintage limit?

How about the 1oz Kooks vs 2oz Dragons? (If I stuck with the small rolls and got the a couple extra indvidual coins).

What order would you put these in KOOKS vs DRAGONS vs GRIZZLYS, I guess I'm asking!

thanks.

wow silver just gone down to 36.27.

12. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Thanks for the tips, was confused about this when I read about some of the complications others had.

13. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Dragons or grizzlies have the most chance for appreciation over spot, that's without any idea of mintage. Demand will always have more effect on price than mintage

14. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

$46 AUD seems a bit high for the Grizzly, they were going for $50 US before this huge drop.

15. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

Would be fine if Canadian silver didn't have MTD (Mint transmitted disease) namely Milkyous spottus maximus (milkspots).

16. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Thanks so much for information and your thoughts. Maybe I'll grab the dragons over the kooks for now. And see if the price drops further next week for another order.

Thanks Diablo, wasn't sure how they were usually priced. Think I'll just grab one.

Appreciate all your input.

17. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm so you already know about Bullionbourse... firstly congratualtions.. that took me 3 years. It also took me three years to work out that maples are a very poor investment as far as one ounce bullion goes...

THE grizzly, timber wolf and cougar are in my opinion.. bullion that carries a premium which will not keep up with:

Lunar series
    Pandas
    Kookaburra
    All other limited edition bullion available as a function of spot.
    Also try and get carded kangaroos (for around 50 or less ATM)

Bottom of the barrel are Maples and ASE's.. the wildlife i personally think are horrible and the milk-spot disease will no doubt spread to them as all canadain mint stuff tends to have happen. (do you want your premium bullion you pay premiums on to lose value when they got the milk spot?)

I think if your in Australia take advantage of bullionbourse's perth mint product at prices cheaper than the perth mint.. Ironically its more expensive to buy inferior imported coins

Try and track down Rabbits, Mice, Ox and Tiger for a great investment.. the mice as a function of spot would proberbly be the sleeper.

Keep researching, but my advice is to start local - something i never had/did when i was getting into silver... so many top notch aussie websites to buy from.. see banner ads.

RE: dragons - ive mainly gone for 1/2 and 2 oz dragons -- but did not the prices havent dropped on them like they have for other bullion.. (but ideally these will be good even if the mintage gets big - this is the unknown - already reports 2 oz may be getting the ax).

Emphasis on Lunar, Kook and Panda as a function of spot.

1for1

18. oxiosl

oxiosl New Member

Thanks so much for the detailed and informative post 1for1.

I had read comments about the milk spots before, but wouldn't have remembered. Haven't seen what they look like but don't sound nice and wouldn't imagine they would attract buyers when it comes time to resell.

Much happier with the Lunar :D. So glad for all the help here. If the price is still down on Monday, or goes down further, I might grab some kookaburras too.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and tips, very helpful, and will definitely keep on researching.

:)

19. Dandan

Dandan New Member

What about duties, taxes once it reaches oz? Have you had to deal with this? Minimum order for Australia is $1500 so looks like you can't avoid it.

So many reasons it seems to buy stuff that's made here or already in the country.

Dan

20. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

Made my first ever silver purchase yesterday and it was exactly what you were mentioning: rolls of kooks and a couple of loose 2 oz lunar dragons. Happy with that (even though I've already lost ~$50 by jumping the gun and not waiting a few more hours into the 'plunge' yesterday, lol).

I'm a dual US and Australian citizen and have bank accounts/addresses in both countries, and travel between the two quite often. Now that I've just started to buy PMs, I'm thinking this could be an advantage. I can order from APMEX and get it shipped to my place there, and just pick it up next time I'm in the US. Similarly I can buy Aussie coins here and sell them in the US (where kooks and lunars seem to attract very nice premiums compared to here).

Only question is whether customs in either country would raise an eyebrow at carrying bullion in luggage. Not huge amounts but a few rolls here and a few rolls there. What do you reckon?