buying lunar horses

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by darkclark, Oct 23, 2014.

1. darkclark

darkclark New Member

as im still new to this im just wondering about the wisdom of buying Perth mint lunar horses now that the goats are out, my local store still has 5 oz coins available but 1 oz all gone should I try and get some 5s before they sell to and how do you know how many are minted if its an unlimited mintage

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You won't know the mintage until The Perth Mint declare the coins.

Perth's mintage policy is here: (This topic has been kicked to death and you could use the search thread for further info)
    http://www.perthmint.com.au/mintage_policy.aspx

Don't get all excited about the 5s because if you are going by the figures on the pdf mintage document they are out-dated and were last updated 29 April 2014 for sales to date as of 31 December 2013.
    By now, you could expect the mintage to exceed the snake, it's probably about the 25 to 30,000 mark.
    http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...r_Bullion_Series_Two_2008_-_2014_incl_1oz.pdf

When will Perth update their official mintage pdf document?

(Answer) - Probably in the first quarter of 2015.

3. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

4. darkclark

darkclark New Member

the 5s are on special offer at $135 which seems reasonable, my thinking is stock up on these while I still can then move on to 2015 issues when horses all gone

5. idratherbgardening

idratherbgardening New Member

Is there a reason not to buy the 2 oz vs the 5 oz to sell later on?

The 2 oz in the US has recently be $46.50 while the 5 oz is $115 US dollars.

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

If you are looking at Apmex, their sell price is $58. The Apmex buy price was recently $46.xx.

To answer your question, the mintage on the 2 & 5oz coins will differ greatly and which size is the best value will be determined by supply and demand. We will not know the supply until the PM releases final mintage numbers and the demand will fluctuate over time. Yes, if the 2oz & the 5oz are the same price per ounce, buy the 2oz.

Edit: Here is the page that shows Provident S2 lunars.

http://www.providentmetals.com/bull...h-lunar-series-2-australian-silver-coins.html

7. idratherbgardening

Provident had them in stock 3 days ago at $45. (51 remaining).

Two days ago they were gone.

Yesterday they said that had 198 at $46.50. (I received an email alert)

Today they are gone.

Either the inventory system is screwed up (and yes, they are bad at being reliable about what 'in stock' means) or they are just selling them out quick.

8. darkclark

darkclark New Member

do they mention the 5oz, my dealer never quotes their stock amounts but as I said earlier they have them on special at $135 AUD

9. idratherbgardening

For Provident, if you add 999 items to your cart, it will tell you how many they actually have in stock which can be useful.

Sometimes items marked 'in-stock' are not really in stock but something they think they can get quickly to fulfill an order. They did this for RCM 10 oz bars recently and it took people 3 weeks to get them. One way to tell this is add 999 to your cart and not get any sort of error.

10. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Just picked up two 5 oz horses for 117 usd shipped. Considering I paid 150usd for 5 1 oz goats last week, I'm happy !!!

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

horse stables in china would have those lunar, blue nose horsey for sale.

they come out in all sizes and colours.

12. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Sweet Jesus, I just bought 129 two oz horses for 44.46. That was a steal. Heck, maybe spot might go down in which case this may not hold, but APMEX buy back on the 2 oz is 44.32. This was a low risk purchase. No eBay fees lost. :) Granted they could change their mind, but for now it sticks, and I'm comfortable with my purchase. :)

I realize this may not be 'perfect math,' but interesting nevertheless. :D
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7X3ai3wvZc[/youtube]

13. idratherbgardening

Sweet Jesus, save some for the rest of us! :) They have come in and out of stock as Provident several times over the last week.

Why is it such a good deal besides being cheaper than APMEX? The goat is around the same price and the horse could still be getting minted.

I guess 6 months from now it's a great price so there is the quick resale value.

14. barsenault

Actually, why I made the move that I did is due to liking the size of the 2 oz. But a BIGGER factor was how APMEX put their buy-back price at the same cost as the dealer price (off by a few cents). So, for me it was a no-brainer. I think they are coming to the end of minting these horses, as the goats ramp up. I'm sure by Feb 2015, we'll get the 'declare value,' of the horses. MEANING, no more minted...the number you see, is the number they've produced, and not more will go out the door.

I'd be surprised if any dealer is able to purchase more, though anything is possible. Maybe a last buy for end of year? I don't know. But I do know a good deal when I see one (some times). :)

Best of success. Oh, and dccpa, I veered off my goal of only kilos. I have a lot of the kilo horses...needed to diversify a tad...albeit still in the horse family. :)

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Nice work. It would be interesting if the quantity minted and the price of silver at the time of issuance were factored into the analysis. Because I was curious, I spot checked the 2oz dragon. I am not sure when the video data was gathered, but the last two 2012 sales I saw were $70.77 & $84.00. That shows how much prices can fluctuate. The quantity of 2oz horses is going to be closer to dragon than snake levels, but the price of silver was lower than either the dragon or the snake. So, I will follow the pricing of the 2oz horse with curiosity.

I definitely consider Apmex buy prices, but I have learned those buy prices are often irrelevant. Sometime in the last two weeks, I asked Apmex about the 2012 2oz lunar dragons and they stated they weren't buying any at that time. Keeping a buy price listed for items Apmex is not currently buying has occurred on other items too. Sometimes, I think Apmex keeps buy prices up to support their sales prices.

barsenault will probably consider this sacrilege, but I sold all my 1oz lunar horses last week.

16. barsenault

Oh my, you heretic. :lol: How dare you. Hopefully you got a good premium. Knowing you as little as I do, I'm sure you did. I agree with you on the buyback price from APMEX, but still don't think I can go wrong. It was 2 oz vs. Kilo, and as you know I have a 'ton' of the kilos...actually just may be a ton. LOL.

Good work dccpa. Oh, and I'm sure you sold to buy. You didn't buy just to have paper. :rolleyes:

17. idratherbgardening

I've been meaning to buy some 2 oz horses but keep missing chances. Last time Provident had 298 of them but your 129 must have been the last of them.

I'm definitely not telling you were I picked up some 1 oz goats for $23 a week or two ago.

Any good sources for series 2 lunars besides eBay and APMEX, etc.? I need the first four years in 1 oz but hoping to save a bit over APMEX prices. "The Kook Store" on ebay is my only other source who seems to have a lot of variety.

18. barsenault

Try goldeagle...35.00 for 1 oz horses. 23.00 for 1 oz goats? Make sure they aren't fake!! Not kidding. I'm not interested in the goats. I'm leaving them all for my good friend dccpa. He loves them. :)

19. barsenault

20. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea I wish I found golden eagle sooner they seem to be quite cheap for the lunar series... I found them after I paid 30$ each for goats from jmbullion