Buying from ABC, Sydney

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by jparrie, Apr 12, 2011.

1. jparrie

jparrie Member

Hi all,

I'm a newbie at buying any sort of metals so this may be normal...

I bought some PAMP 1kg silver bars today from ABC, Sydney at around mid-day. It's now 4.30PM and although I've had the email confirming my order, there's been no other contact at all. Is this normal? I'm guessing that this isn't like trading stocks which is practically instantaneous for an "at market" order, which is what I assumed would happen with this order which was done over the Internet.

The problem is the email states that "all transactions and payment arrangements are finalised in real time during our Sydney office hours."

So have I bought or not? And at what price? Seems awfully slow to me, but then as I said I am a newbie at this.

Please enlighten me!

JP

2. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

You'll get a confirmation email.
    Once payment is completed, it's done.

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

well i know theres a 3 week wait i talked to them the other day did you know that?

4. smithy35

smithy35 New Member

i ordered pamp silver of abc sydney 1 month ago. they told me to ring them at the end of april.thats a 6 week wait

5. jparrie

jparrie Member

Well, now I do. WTF! Quote: "Pick up from our office in 5 weeks"

Not only that, but they've sent me an invoice that is 100% more than it should be!

If there's one thing I hate it's incompetence, so far I've had emails with spelling and grammatical errors, unanswered emails and an invoice double what it should be.

Not impressed. I've told them I'm paying COD so we'll see what they say about that.

So have you paid? Or are you picking up from their office? I don't mind paying but I'd like to see something for my money given that this is the first time I've used them and so far they don't look too sharp an outfit.

6. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

It's a 6 week wait ATM. And u need to pay now . They will cancel ur order if you take too long to pay. They are good for it though- they won't rip you off or anything.

7. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

last time i used that company...the red headed guy said we arent dealing in tick tacks when i complained about service.....never have been back and would never wait 6weeks for something i paid for again///this was about 3 years ago...so its not new...thats how they like to do it...best way is to buy from a stacker.

8. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

also....they like to give a quote on the ph then when you go down with exact money they quote you again then explaint that the markets are always moving and precious metals are volitile.....there is another outfit on the other side of martin place on pitt street accross the road from the hilton which uses the same price all day..
    ///

9. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

What do you know, same thing happened to me in my first order with ABC! Quoted over 60% what it should be. Had to ask for a revised quote.

10. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

I've done several orders with abc . If you call and lock the price in , it won't change!

11. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Get to know the people.
    Dont use the online system and just send them an email saying 'please invoice me for x'

They told me that the online shopping is more of an expression of interest rather than instant purchase

12. smithy35

smithy35 New Member

paid the day we ordered pick up from sydney office

13. jparrie

jparrie Member

Just read this from their website:

"Does ABC Bullion do the paperwork?

Yes - you can expect perfect paperwork and brilliant attention to detail. Our paperwork is accountant-ready."

:D

14. jparrie

jparrie Member

15. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

I'd like to say here that I have made numerous purchases online with ABC in Sydney. Never had a problem, made the buy, got an invoice, transferred the funds and price was locked in on the bullion. Yes there was a wait each time but I dont mind it too much. By the time the shipment is in and ready for pickup they usually have other stuff arrived as well and sitting on display to buy (like gold lunar tigers heehee).

16. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

This is normal today.

They cant deliver it because there is a shortage of new silver in the market. It is not the company's fault. ABC area very reputable company.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I enjoy buying over the counter for this reason where you can. ;)

18. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I never bought online from ABC Sydney, always rock up to their office pay the money and pick up my bar. It's simpler that way.

However I asked them about ordering online. They say ordering online is NOT really ORDERING online per se. The way I understand this is, when you "order" online you are booking an order, the order only completed once you pay the money. If you are going to book your order online it's always best to call them up first. And as I understand it is, for you to order online you need to register your information with them and get membership number (which I think not a good thing to do, if you can help it).

I'm not sure if they will hold the price at the time of your online order, as I understand it, they only reserve the metal for you until you come pay and pick it up. As the price, you'll have to pay for price at the time that you PAY, not the time you book your order.

If I were you forget about ordering online, just call them up ask if you have such and such in stock. And then turn up at their door, pay the cash, pick up the metals and out the door. Oh yes, try buying under $5000 if you can help it, whenever possible you don't want to give your information to them which can link the metal purchases back to you. Who knows what your government would do to metal owners in the future.

19. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I've used their online ordering system and paid as soon as the confirmation email arrived, then sent them the EFT transaction details as evidence.

I'm all about paying upfront and immediately. :cool:

However, do note that since December 2010 there have been very long wait times on PAMP bars, and not just at ABC.
    So even paying the minute after an order won't do anything to speed up the process.

The usual routine these days:
    -Pay now
    -Wait a few months
    -Pick-up order

Hopefully spotmex (now that it's finally up) can do something to solve the silver wait times.

20. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

this was the first company I approached to buy 2 oz gold and 4 kg silver. I called them to follow up on my online order and the lady that answered was not very conversant with the whole process [being nice here]. I promptly took my business elsewhere and wont deal with them. Seems to be a theme

I ended up using http://www.goldbullionaustralia.com.au/

waited 3 months for my silver but they told me that, and buy the time I got it it had gone up 30% lol

apparently each dealer can only import 1500kg silver / month anyone else heard that