Bargains appearing on the ASX?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by finicky, May 18, 2012.

1. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's because money is made when buying in a rising market, not in a falling market.

^^ +1 this. Capital preservation, Capital preservation, Capital preservation. Cut losses, don't throw more money away trying to save a bad situation.

2. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Agreed. Its easy for me to see this, as last year, I looked up EVERY single miner (and Utilities & Energy) on the ASX, and put every single stock into a list, after researching them and finding what their focus was. (NB: So have dozens of lists, most with the max of 35 stocks in each.) OK, so its not 100% up to date now, and also I deleted a few of the US based energy companies, and a couplle of companies where the stock price was about $0.001. On bad days, I look at my "refined" list/s of gold stocks, and 95% of them all go down at the same time, and up at the same time. Its a trend, easily observable. And I don't even use a professional trading platform, which must be much better.

3. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Disagree that [(stock price down) = (bad situation)].

I think George Soros would disagree as well, seeing as with the recent gold dip he has now increased his stake in GLD by 3-4 times. Why is he loading up as the price goes down? Should he not cut his losses and run?

4. wrcmad

Depends on a number of factors, like intial entry price, allocation, and time frame - Gold is still in an uptrend depending on time frame, so he may be adding to a winning position, not adding to a losing position.

Edit to add: Oh, yeah. Gold is nothing like a speccie stock.

5. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold and silver are different, lol

6. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Soros is investing in GLD, quite a different animal to investing in physical allocated gold. There is a complex legal structure underlying GLD, which has been discussed by various persons. Completely different to having a pile of gold coins in your safe.

Strange, I thought there would be more contrarians here on SS. But it seems like a case of watch which way the herd runs, and then run the hell for your life in the same direction. And in a bull market, even the shoe shine boy will think he's a stock picking genius. The big commodity investors like Rick Rule, worth over 100 million have told people how to make money in a volatile market. When there is a sale on, you load up the truck, you don't start selling your great juniors, in order to "cut" your losses. We often hear people talking about backing up the truck, but by the sounds of it, here on SS, no-one appears to be doing this, for reasons a, b, and c. And *whatever stock* you're loading up on, is definitely not the right one. Too risky... too speculative... too such & such...

7. finicky

The trouble is Black-Sun is there is such a terrible lot of sh*t in the juniour sector of the ASX, especially the gold miners. They are run by scumbags who are allowed to tell the investor anything at all about the future and regularly do. We can cite Rick Rule, Jimbo Dines and so on, but they are very astute guys, capable of asking demanding questions of management and extracting straight answers. They really know something about mining and their particular mines, do you? I don't. We don't know what they are doing - selling into the rallies they generate through their tipster services so they get free carried maybe. We don't know what stocks they are picking - is GOR one of the ones they'd be saying of, "keep loading up on these - the cheaper they get the better?"

Is it 'the herd' that has been selling BHP fairly relentlessly from $50? If so they'd be in a much better situation than the so called 'contrarian' who's been grabbing BHP every time it gets significantly cheaper. If BHP doesn't reverse pretty quick it looks a possibility to head for GFC lows; RIO same.

I don't know what Jim Dines is doing now but last I heard him he was still advocating rare earth stocks and I suspect Arafura (ARU) and Lynas (LYC) have been on his list of must haves. He was also still keen on uranium stocks - how's that going for the holders of PDN, ERA, AGS etc, if someone had generalized his comments to include those particular stocks?

The explorers and developers will continue to get hit the hardest if there really is a capital freeze developing, because holders or potential buyers will fear capital raisings at discounts to already depressed share prices.

8. wrcmad

I reckon you're right. Contrarian philosophy is a common 'I'm gunna.....". But people seem to freeze when the prices slump. This is fairly evident even in the stacker sales forums here.

I am not at all a contrarian in the stock markets - the trend is your friend. Better to take a slice out of a rise, than try and pick the bottom, then try again, then add more to the position etc. etc. Maybe I'm a crap bottom picker! :p

Each to their own. If it works for you, then stick to it. :)

9. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Most of the junior sector is crap, "a complete disaster" according to Rick Rule's latest'. Both Doug Casey and Rick Rule estimate that 90% of the sector exists solely to keep the management in jobs. But even these guys (the pros) get burnt from time to time. What I know is that GOR has made me more $$ than any other stock I've held, twice. I've brought in tranches before, and then sold the lot all at once, rinse & repeat. So, this is my 3rd time in. GOR on analysis, is not just "another gold stock". Most of Australia's gold has come from WA, and there are 5 belts there, first belt = 10 million oz, 2nd belt = 120 million oz, 3rd belt = 12 million, 4th belt = 25 million. The entire 5th belt is owned 100% by GOR. Previously it was ignored due to geological dating assumptions that were made about it, deemed to be "too young". The geological dating has been proven wrong.

1 million oz in 1% of territory, other 99% not yet explored. I must say this is good enough for me. But even if it was 100 million oz in 1% of the territory, this would still not be good enough for lots of people. Do you know of ANY other gold mine in Australia, at any time in the history of this country, where after only exploring 1% of the territory, they have 1 million oz of gold? I'm no historian, nor geological expert, nor mining expert, etc, but I'd say, this looks pretty damn good.

10. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

We're talking about GoldRoad huh?

Ive been following GoldRoad since they were called Elektra Minerals.
    They have a resource of over 1 mil ounces

But here is teh real reason why they are a good spec buy... they have high grade. Pure and simple - High Grade kicks arse even when its lower volume of ounces.

If they can find a few more - and say they get up to 2 or 3 million ounces at a high grade - this stock will go balistic ... if they can keep the dilution down that is.

My one problem is this - they generate most of the share price on frequent news from drilling, and have raised capital sometimes at significant discount to market. Are they just going to drill into oblivian or are they planning on developing everything they find?

I hope they have more exit plans than just - develop the mine

if you like GOR have a squizz at BRB as well - look at their project maps

11. finicky

Well that's different - you are a trader and have a fundamental conviction regarding the stock. The latter reason is why I added 20,000 shares of Neon Energy today, against the trend, and in complete contradiction of what I have been saying on this thread (but do believe to be generally correct - i.e S.P falls in specs are for taking profits or cutting losses not for backing up the truck) I thought you were a newbie investor.

12. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

As for Uranium - anyone seen Bannerman (BMN) lately?

REE and Uranium stocks are still good if you can find a good company.
    I own Greenland Minerals (GGG) and Alkane Resources (ALK)
    ALK is probably the best REE play on the ASX - mainly because its not an REE company - its a Zirconium mine, with a 60-100year mine life.

If Alkane can move into production and avoid a takeover and make some clever aquisitions - Alkane will be a blue chip stock in a decade.

13. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Agreed. This concerns me as well. Nevertheless, I believe the stock will ascend again, and descend yet again, so that'll be another sale & buy & sale for me. Hopefully the dilution won't go on too long. I'd like to be a long term holder (ie: when they are producing), if possible.

14. finicky

Green green its green they say on the far side of the hill,
    Green green im going away to where the grass is greener still

Snicker - well until the crash resumes anyway. One of my favourite local T/A commentators Garry Glover sees the same breakdown from a wedge on the ASX200 and All Ords that has been pointed out here. You can see GG's comments here - just click on his commentary titled, "Are we entering a bear market?", in the portraited menu,16 May 2012, then scroll back and click the start arrow in the video frame:
    http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/features/Moving-beyond-cautious-optimism.html

Time to mention another quality small cap going cheap, if you accept the Skaffold valuation of $1.68 in FY12 rising to $1.93 in FY13 . I've been slowly accumulating a few, but straight after I finally got filled today @ $1.37.5 the stock dropped another 4%! Goes to show one its vulnerabilities, it's illiquid. So this is a stock that might be attractive to SStkers in that one of its product divisions is top shelf metal detectors, ASX code CDA.
    At $1.37.5, trading on roughly P/E of 10 and fully franked yield of 7% based on expected FY12 earnings and payout
    http://codan.com.au/

15. topstock

topstock New Member

Talking about bargains I was telling everyone who was willing listening to jump into NMG when it was 22c about two weeks ago.Fast forward less than two weeks since then they are now 31c. A nice 40% profit.

I have a couple of bargains on my radar that are going to double in value I believe once this volatility is over. Looking forward to letting everyone know once I grab a decent parcel

16. finicky

Do you ever think that the ASX might have bottomed? I haven't given it much thought, and have assumed it will have further to go - maybe a lot further. But this guy reckons it bottomed 3 trading days ago = Friday 18 May, at 4079.40 on the All Ords. He thinks the Index could end the year up around 5000! He says he has a March 11, 2009 feeling about his call. This is when he publicly called the bottom of the GFC crash! All this on Peter Switzer last night - he has a big reputation to protect. What if he's right?

"Clifford Bennett - 11 March 2009
    Ring the Bell" call on national television for a new grand bull market to last 5-15 years, Dow Jones rallied 100% in first year"

http://whitecranegroup.com.au/

17. finicky

I'm more inclined to the fresh bearish view of Gary Glover emailed today. He's seeing another leg down after a possible short term rally toward the early to mid May breakdown from rising support. He thinks the downleg will take the All Ords down to the range of 3,600 - 3,300 towards the end of 2012. By his tone he favours the low end of that range, i.e 3,300. That's getting within cooee of the GFC crash which bottomed at 3,091 at what looks to be 06 March 2009. His target, 3,300 - 3,600, is well below the disturbing mini crash of 09 August 2011 which bottomed at 3,829.

http://www.finnewsnetwork.com.au/ar...fternoon_Investor_23_05_2012&utm_medium=email

18. finicky

Flight Centre (FLT) having a 'nice' drop today. Nice if you want in, not nice if you're holding. Down 52c at posting but it's only low volume. A move down like this morning's on higher volume would have me confident of further downside that could bring the stock within range for buying.

According to this site, run by ASIC, Flight Centre is one of the more shorted stocks on the ASX running at over 11% of the issued shares being shorted about a week ago. That leaves the question open - is the FLT share price faring badly only because of shorting and the general environment, or is FLT being shorted heavily because the shorters are confident of its business being weak or its share price being over valued?

http://www.asic.gov.au/ShortSell/Sh...tSummary?OpenPage&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=3.1

Reported Daily Short Positions for 21/05/12

Product/ Product Code/ Reported Short Positions/ Total Product in Issue/ % of Total Product in Issue Reported as Short Positions

FLIGHT CENTRE ORDINARY/ FLT/ 11,543,425/ 100,031,742/ 11.54%

19. finicky

Why is Seek (SEK) getting pushed by analysts lately?

Skaffold rates it B2, sees no discount in the stock at its current price until you go way out to FY14 earnings, yet Montgomery Investments analyst Russell Muldoon was on Business Channel a few nights ago promoting SEK . Then Ben Clark from TMS Capital gave it a plug, and I've heard one or two others as well..

Its on a growth P/E of 18.5 and puny yield of 2.4%. Most stocks like that have been hit particularly heavily lately.

Then out comes the news on Tuesday that SEK is expanding its ownership level in two employment related websites in Brazil and Mexico.

Then comes news today that James Packer's investment company has raised its equity in SEK to 4.9%.

I don't get what they like so much about with this company. The chart of SEK is unreadable to me too - it looks ambiguous.

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would someone like to do a Shares 101 course, like NR's Property 101.
    How to buy, how to sell, what all the in-words mean.
    I know nothing about this topic and I'd like to learn.