Bare essential survival. When the economy collapses I just want to eat

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Tinknocker72, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Tinknocker72

Tinknocker72 New Member

Obviously you all can tell I'm new to this. You can also tell that I have little faith in government. I'm not out to profit, only to feed my family during depression type circumstances. I can only think that low denomination round and bullion would be the way to go. What is the most tradeable silver? I appreciate your input. Thanks all!

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^in addition

The lower you go the more premium you pay so you'll end up with less silver when the time comes than if you buy larger sizes like kilo's. They'll still be relatively easy to shift. All silver is trade able of its priced properly ;)

I have a stack of 1gram PM gold bars and round 50's for the unlikely SHTF event as it would be easier to barter for smaller items should the need arise.

Anyway, buy your food and supplies first and then worry about buying metal. If you want to feed your family, I think having a stack of food would be far more useful...

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps fostering out the children first, then less food is required and thus more money into silver.

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if you want to feed your family through times of crisis ( if we ever see one that is ) silver will be no good to you in a true SHTF scenario

Stack food and water if you are worried about food and water

I dont see anyone on the walking dead looking for gold / silver in their fight for survival.

6. spannermonkey

No but they do use diamonds :eek:

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hrmm I don't remember it, I will have to go back and watch some episodes and see if there was any trading of diamonds for food / ammo / fuel.

BTW -- its the best show currently on TV :) and you should all watch it if not allready.

but seriously silver / gold in a time of crisis will be nothing but weights slowing you down while running from the zombies.

8. JMelton

JMelton New Member

The silver and gold will become extra valuable once all the zombies are taken care of and society gets rebuilt.

9. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

If your concerned about feeding your family then stock up on food! I've purchased many 30 days freeze dried survival buckets from ebay! They can be had for the price of 4 ounces of silver, seems like an affordable way to prepare. The rest is just up to you and deciding what you think will happen. In a total crash silver will be worthless, in a depression or inflation situation it may help, who knows!

10. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If I was worried about all that, I'd look into a euthanasia kit.

11. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

I thought this was the point for the savvy investor? You'd already have planned to tuck it away no? Need to keep in front of the goons! Banks won't be your friend then. Gold will ;) Until then peeps. Keep on keeping on. You should be trying to get out of debt if you haven't managed that yet. Get savings out of the bank. You've been warned that for long enough. SM? Be careful of the timing & an eye on the real economy signs & off the edited news reel. My thoughts on the SM are purely judged by what I'm willing to see. How long will I play this madness? Til I see it's coming undone. Not there yet. Still somewhere to dump your spare $'s (for the meantime) regular income is the key to getting through this next few years of uncertainty. Everyone wanting to work, deserves to work. Some careers are more secure but you still never know. What I'd give for the good ol' days of owning a small business & leaving the grind......all the best for all ;)

Btw, this auto spell on IPads suck hippopotamus butts :mad:

12. GOLDPIRATE

GOLDPIRATE New Member

Work in the aged care industry & you'll wake up & want one real quick ;)

(editing due to friggin IPad self-spelling/word-changing stupid Apple program...grrrrrr....)

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just buy junk silver, you can usually get it for around spot, small 50% 3p coins are worth about 50 cents at the moment, so great for small purchases, no special storage requirements, no special handling requirements, very recognisable (with the older generations) and owning a stack of them doesn't make you a target for break ins.

14. House

Like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-SERVING-...672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7ea159d0 Two or more would be pretty sufficient but surely you could put your own together for half the price?

25 year shelf life... what's the sodium content like?

15. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Silver and gold will not be the sort of panaceas that we are told they will be by some of the fear-monguering, big mouth permabulls. There are things much more important to have if ever we will face an end-of-days, global currency collapse, SHTF scenario (which I'm convinced none of us living today will ever see....thankfully, but since I could be wrong about that, there is reason for me to have basic prep knowledge/skills/supplies...including some precious metals products). Aside from the obvious things like freeze dried and canned foods, (access to or contained) clean potable water, sources of energy to run equipment and vehicles, a weapon to protect yourself, stockpile of medications you may require, etc, etc, etc....to have a small network of RELIABLE and TRUSTWORTHY friends/family may be the most beneficial thing each one of us could have.

These things should be focused on as a priority before figuring out which precious metal products might suit you best in some believed-impending SHTF scenario.

16. spannermonkey

It was only in 1 or 2 episode & they were buying more than food

17. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

Why do people keep going "what's the best silver" Jesus it's SILVERRRRRRRRR it doesn't come with chocolate flavor or strawberry flavor..

18. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

I am a fan of the Walking Dead for the entertaining way it presents various survival scenarios.

But I can't see gold and silver playing a big role in their world, as society has broken down so far that there is little in the way of marketplace interactions.

As a sidenote, how is it that highly intelligent humans can get continuously bushwacked by brain dead zombies that move at 4 kph?

Back to the topic of gold and silver in a shtf situation, has anyone seen the TV series Revolution? It is a USA production, not sure if it has screened in Aus?

Basic scenario is that all electricity has failed. Society devolves accordingly.

Anyway...I recall at least one scene where gold is used, I think someone is seeking information and offers it as a bribe/payment, 10g of gold dust, something like that.

Cheers,

Agnostic

19. silverflash

silverflash Member

http://www.talismancoins.com/servlet/Detail?no=2697

You can however buy it with a chocolate scent ;)!

20. House

It's as nebulous as asking 'what's the best car'? Many different options for many different uses.

Pretty similar to asking what's the best brand/place to buy gold ;)