Bank Fees what a joke!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hihosilver, Mar 28, 2011.

1. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

haha yeah one of the ladies at St. George at my local branch (who is actually a really nice lady) actually remembered when I gave her a spiel about getting money out of my account and I suggested she do the same (a little tongue in cheek, I know) re. silver purchase. I hadn't seen her for about 6 months and she remembered our conversation of 12 months ago and she said "Are you still into that silver thing". I went "Mhmm. The returns were somewhat more handsome than leaving cash in an account." I just left it at that. I'm over trying to help people that have blinkers and ear muffs on. I'd rather focus my energy on my family, life and the fresh air outside :)

2. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Big A.D. - good idea I'll look in credit unions. Anyone in particular I should start with?

3. LeadWrist

LeadWrist New Member

By merchant, I'm referring to whoever you are buying PMs from who requires you to deposit funds into their account. You can go to your bank, withdraw cash from the teller, walk into the person/company's bank who you are paying, and deposit cash into their account.

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Look for one with a branch in your local area in case you need to do anything face-to-face. They're all pretty similar in terms of account types and features and they seem to use a lot of common IT infrastructure, so internet banking is pretty standardised. You'll initially pay a "membership fee" of something like $2 (because a credit union works like a club) and after that there's basically no fees and if there are fees, they're either very cheap and/or easy to avoid. I think I paid a $5 or $10 fee for a cheque book about four years ago, but nothing since then.

The rediTeller branded ATMs are the credit unions' network, but they have a peering arrangement with NAB so you can use NAB ATMs without paying fees as well.

I just did a quick search and found this list: http://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/credit-unions-societies-20664-category.html

Replace "nsw" in the link with your state and then scroll through the A-Z list at the bottom and you'll get the names and locations of all the credit unions with branches in your state. Check out their websites and pick one that suits you. Feel free to call them and ask them questions too - they actually give a sh** about their customers, er, members, er, people who bank with them.

5. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Surely the merchants bank will require me to sign off on some sort of paperwork or document and I certainly would want some sort of proof to say I have indeed paid that merchant those funds in case some one crys fowl?

6. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

Cheers I will look into this.

7. LeadWrist

LeadWrist New Member

Have you never deposited cash into an account? The depositor's details are irrelevant. And yes, you get a receipt.

8. shortstack

shortstack New Member

And you usually get to leave something identifying your transaction for them to know what that money is for.
    I have done it a few times. Feels weird writing on a paper deposit slip , like the old days. Depending on the bank you might get the stub from the deposit slip or a printed receipt.

9. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

I went into U.S bank the other day to cash a check that was drawn on that bank. they charged me 5 dollars to cash a check drawn on their bank. I was freaking livid

12. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

here its $15 if u want it cashed on the spot

13. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

Really Its always been free if you take it to the bank its drawn on here. I try not to use banks at all and its been a while since I had. I had been hearing in the last couple years since laws regarding overdraft fees had gone into effect which was a multi billion dollar business for banks that they would stick you in other ways but I was still suprised. The bank said it was because they were doing me a service if I was a depositor and wrote someone a check and they were charged a fee I would be even more upset.

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

my bad its free if you take it to the branch its drawn at as far as i know. Rarely do you get a cheque from a local branch