any idea with this coin?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by nicwinner, Aug 28, 2011.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I do not!

2. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

kk,your kidding me :D

give me 10 bucks you can have it, postage 2.

I purchase this coin from my friend with 10 bucks, we both thinking it silver stuff. so... what have a try? if it 90% silver and 16.10 gram equals around 20 bucks silver spot. I say 80% sure it is silver as 13 years coin collector experience.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

The last Pope was John Paul II. That's his name on the medallion in Latin, which is the Vatican's official language for posterity and that's his profile too btw. Pontifex Maximus means supreme pontiff = the title of all of the high priests in Roman since before Julius Caesar was a boy. And applied to the Popes by default since the Roman Empire officially converted to christianity in 386 AD (or thereabouts).

The design is indeed the Madonna and Jesus after Jesus was removed from the cross. And as XB pointed out, one of Michelangelo's seminal works. In fact apart form the David, probably the best known. Since John Paul died 2 April 2005, the 500th anniversary falls in his period of power. So XB has probably hit the nail on the head.

As to what the thing is made of, who knows?

4. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

done, 15 bucks with postage

you really a gentleman~

last year a japanese guy get a really bargain from me with 120 bucks coin I sold to him, him list on ebay sold 1000+ AUD

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

bloody latin, hows anyone supposed to understand that dead language? sheesh!

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Just like French - another dead language!!

Stackers - I've taken over the hunt for info on this piece. The closest I've found so far is a silver plated brass medallion issued for a display of the Pieta in NY in 1964 - but of course John Paul II wasn't the man then and the features on ther NY issue, well ... from the image I saw online ... they suck! This piece is much clearer and cleaner in the strike.

Its not Vatican currency - no value and coins have the Papal crown and crossed keys with the word "Vaticano" aorund the rim. I reckon XB is closest with his guess of a commenerative issue but so far goggle has failed me (gasp) with respect to any mention of official celebrations.

Any Art critics/experts out there????