Am I watching my life savings go down the plug hole ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by the optimist, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I do regret my $30 (most), $27 and $22 purchases.
    How can anyone not regret purchases when seeing lower prices afterwards?
    It's not a shame to have regrets.
    I'm trying to do better now.
    I hope you do too.

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I feel I'm missing something. Silver has flatlined for the past 8 months, why the angst? This is a stackers forum; stacking insinuates a length of time. If the variations over this flatline have rankled, then get out of stacking. This is not a day to day trading forum, it is about accumulation, granted at the best prices, but a long term holding of silver.

"Are we there yet, are we there yet?" Give us stackers a break, let me pull over by the side of the road and I'll let you out.

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Yes - Looks as if you are missing something -

Optimist posts his experience of stacking ( an early stacker and not an old-timer like many ) seeing his dream of increasing wealth go down the pan with losses of 20 - 40% or thereabouts in under 6 months.
    For him that is his only experience.
    Check the charts and imagine you bought in at the peaks.
    Not a great feeling.

Why I sympathise with Optimist is because I hold a substantial stack which is currently valued at 60% of cost and that is not a nice feeling, wondering how many years it will take to regain parity with cost whilst just about every other possible investment is rising as the world allegedly comes out of global financial crisis and PMs do the opposite.

Always good to share views and experiences on this forum - some winners and some loosers - me definitely in the latter big time .

4. klacey

klacey New Member

At the moment. I think your luck and ops luck will change in due time. Time being key word here.

5. sammysilver

^^^^
    How loose are you? :)

6. Photonaware

Loose enough that Immodium will not help much

7. sammysilver

Gravox should thicken you up. Take two tablespoons every hour until you shit a brick.

8. Photonaware

You mean a bar don't you on this forum ??

9. the optimist

the optimist New Member

A silver brick would be nice

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. Guest

Guest Guest

This thread is pointless, I mean if every stacker made a thread stating that they we're pissed off that silver has fallen it would be a waste of time.

My average is $30+ you don't here me pissing and moaning about it.

12. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm with SL. My average is a bit under $30 but I made the choice to get into PMs. It's not like it's worth nothing at this time. You back a horse and it doesn't win - you lose the lot. With silver, it is a bit bumpy, but so is life. I am not blaming or bemoaning the consequences of choices that I made of my own free will. If you can't stand the heat - get out of etc, etc. I still get pleasure from gazing at my shiney with admiration.

13. sammysilver

This thread has a point, you made one!

However, over the past few days we have heard a plea, consoled, teased out the nuances, condemned, and are now in the pontificating stage, as per your post. This is what we do when not stacking.

14. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

See it on the positive side, you paid someone a bloated price, so that someone got some profit, maybe one day someone pays you a bloated price too, and you undo the unmaterialized loss you have now.
    Inflation hedges passed between generations stackers. I have no problem paying a 2008 stacker 2 times the price he paid, if a 2010 stacker pays me 2 times the price I paid.
    It's not a fun way though, but that's how the whole of the markets, that compete with the designed-for bank savings purchasing power losses, works.
    There are many stories out there, from people that entered these markets to face red shortly after. They learnt from it, and over the years after, they made better decisions, that moved them towards the sought-after break even status.

15. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Back when the price was $40 I nearly jumped in and bought a lot of silver but shit happened and I had to postpone until recently. Boy, what a stroke of luck! (Not rubbing it in, fellas). When I look back on it, I felt good about the prospect of buying at $40. Now I think, "what was I thinking?". Well, hind sight is 20/20. Still, I think I've learned a couple lessons that I hope to not forget - 1. Resist the urge to jump on the wagon when prices are high and going higher. 2. Be patient, buy low.

16. Photonaware

Around the same time when I was in Florida I bought a coin shop's inventory in Eagles and was over the moon paying $30 each.
    What a great price compared to back home.
    Nice profit when I come to sell BUT still sitting on them now I feel a bit sheepish and having to hide the purchase from my wife who would go ape shit if she found out.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I work near some banks, every day see people just staring at their life savings, literally their saving pass books.

just imagine if they got an additional journal entry that "frozen = bank stocks equity" just like those in Cyprus.

they would not be looking at the pass books much longer or line up at those printing machine any longer.

Did someone mistook your stash for a waste, and keep it in the dumpster? and all you see is a smaller stash of metals ??

if they are still there, then they are no where near the plug hole.

Just that the price used to be up there, but now it is down here. UNDER-WATER :)

18. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Considering the number of boating accidents around here, most silver is underwater. :lol:

19. clear

clear Well-Known Member

so your timing was out, grow some balls mate.

20. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^ So if you left all your cash in the bank and next year the backs were closed for a bank holiday and you lost 80% of your cash - would you still be unhappy ?
    Metals are savings not speculation. Metals will preserve your wealth over long periods of time while short term you can get burned if you gamble. Sit back relax and watch the game.