Am I watching my life savings go down the plug hole ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by the optimist, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

This topics author is just some1 that sold silver high and wants to buy back in low again, requiring concerned/disappointed/panicing people that sell at the lower price to him, and hence spreads negativism on the term that he's profit-cycling.
    After he buys back in, we'll see a similar new member>topic, with words like 'moon' in it.
    It's just haha.
    Look at the nick.
    'the optimist'.
    Look at the avatar.
    A hardboard 'THIS IS THE END'.
    He even made an error in his story: he claims that he "went all in in the summer", no year mentioned, and this year 2013, the price this summer was the same as todays.
    As I said earlier, this topic is an attempt to spread negativism, according to the strategy for the profit-cycle play.

2. klacey

klacey New Member

You raise some good points. If his goal was to spread negativism, then he hit the wrong forum. We all know the score and are to intelligent to sway for what is obviously going to happen. :)

3. the optimist

the optimist New Member

I seem to have unintentionally ruffled a few feathers here, I can assure you I'm no troll and that was not my intent.

I'm just a normal lad looking for somewhere to discuss silver and what's going on in the world with like-minded people, the lads I know wouldn't have a clue about currency, real money, fiat and main stream media.

I do consider myself ALL IN as its my life savings that I have grafted hard for with my own 2 hands and blood & sweat, granted I paid my house of but I'd never consider that an investment as its my familys security and home, and as for my rental properties their in negative equity so not much to count there.

There seems to be quit a negative attitude to my position but I don't really care, I've worked hard to get where I am, I left school @ 15 with no qualifications, A father @ 16, knowo ne has ever given me anything in my life ! I am in the position I'm in through working hard and never giving up.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hard working people like you with no silver platter to begin with certainly deserve success. I think people were a bit miffed because of your assertion you went all in when in fact you have at least 3 houses.

5. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

If you got that attitude, then there is no need for this thread in the first place. :D

Just hang tight for the ride

6. Pirocco

Forums are made up of people, and people on this one are generally no different than on another one, since the forums share the same properties: managed/sponsored by same sides, visited by the same. The 'general problem' (haha) is that some people think a 'buddy feeling' / 'happy community feeling' is the key element. It's not. It's anothers money for free, the rest is substory. And on this aspect, there is an important distinction to make: some say what they think, some don't. In some past I advised others to not hesitate to buy when spot was $32. That was bad advice. But it was what I thought, based on what I've read/knew, and I suffered myself since I did the very same. Some talk and act differently. And this topic has all the characteristics of the latter.

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I have noticed on this forum that topics can often get derailed and then joined by others which deviate further from the initial comments.
    I understand exactly what you are saying and I have to agree with you.
    Regardless of your property portfolio, you made a decision to convert all your liquid cash into metals believing this to be a more profitable investment than stocks, funds, fine wines, bonds and other products available to investors. Rather than enjoy a steady growth and an increase in value you have seen the opposite and now regret going all-in on metals. A silly move perhaps but had you done this some years ago it woukd have been a terrific investment especially if you cashed out when metals were are their peak. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I too am nursing heavy losses on my stack but they are only losses if I sell today. Had I not purchased silver at its peak and bought something else I would be much happier but it is impossible to predict these markets so the lesson is diversification which may lower returns but dilute risk.

8. klacey

klacey New Member

Cant remember when i heard this, but i try to remember it always and that is 'Listen to all, follow none'. I also love this one 'To know your future you must know your past'. So do your research look at the past and you will see patterns to what is happening now.

9. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with you - when you are investing your savings, you need to take an approach that suits your risk profile.
    Going all your spare cash into a single thing is a high risk/ high reward strategy.
    I guess I was trying to point out to the OP that by the looks of it, he seems to be in a position to hold on until he gets back in the green - if this is the preferred approach.
    Else, the OP could decide to take on a small loss and diversify part of his holdings.

The problem with asking for advise regarding whether a choice is good or bad when investing in PMs on a PM forum is that pretty much everyone is going to say yes it's great, hold on you won't regret it.
    In the end it really is a matter or personal circumstances and investment horizon.

10. Pirocco

There are opportunities to average down.
    There are ways to recognize opportunities.
    Those ways fail totally if everybody knows them.
    Those ways fail partly if not everybody knows them.
    This is one (of the several) way I learnt:

http://www.cftc.gov/dea/futures/other_lf.htm
    http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html
    17/12/2013 19245 $19.87
    Producer/Merchant/Processor/User Long 16404 Short 44632
    SwapDealer Long 32472 Short 23489
    ManagedMoney Long 30361 Short 26652
    OtherReportables Long 11555 Short 3716
    SmallTraders Long 23605 Short 15908

10/12/2013 17532 $20.29
    Producer/Merchant/Processor/User Long 16782 Short 43866
    SwapDealer Long 32809 Short 23257
    ManagedMoney Long 29730 Short 28581
    OtherReportables Long 12821 Short 5690
    SmallTraders Long 23756 Short 16177

A higher total net position
    A lower spot price
    Since futures contract near to never end in delivery (mostly they serve short term / inflation irrelevant price profit / loss risk hedging purposes), and a higher futures position at a same or even lower spot price means that others sold their silver and futures market contract holders replaced them. Longer term demand replaced by short term bogus demand. And this means that the chance on lower spot prices, increased, and thus better stacking opportunities, have bigger chance to arrive. And this makes me, from a position all in silver, to continue waiting for a lower price, so that my next bunch silver will average me down more.
    See, with my $30 average, I don't complain/whine about lower prices. I don't complain/create topics about 'my life savings going down the plug hole'. Instead, I try to improve my decisions, to work towards a better average. Hedging against inflation/central planned theft, requires more effort than complaining, to succeed.

11. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the utmost of respect, "what IS obviously going to happen"?

Ployz tell.

12. Pirocco

So what now?

Remember what I said about your 'the summer where you want all in''?
    The summer 2013 had a silver price of about the same as todays.

You say 'silver prices being in free fall'.
    Oh oh oh (I'm just playing your soap here) your life savings going down the plug hole'.
    But it's the same price today.
    Where is your free fall?
    It's.... the same... after... 4 months.
    Scary?
    Huge disappointment?
    What did you expect?
    Where is your (based on your all in price moment) plug hole?

13. klacey

klacey New Member

Well if history repeats itself, which it always does. Then fiat currency will fail and be worth 0. You cant keep printing like they are and expect a recovery, its just not going to happen. What can you buy with something that has a value of 0. I dont know what will happen after. Sorry if im not making sense, i understand what im saying. Just not great in writing it down. :)

14. Pirocco

What happens to a price, is a result of what all people active on its market, do.
    Some try to control those 'do's' of others.
    Want an example?
    $38 04 april 2011 "Great way to start the week......don't you think?"
    $39 05 april 2011 "39 ...One more step up the ladder"
    $40 07 april 2011 "Thursday..............Yet another up day"
    $41 13 april 2011 "Hump Day...........Up Day"
    $42 14 april 2011 "Killer Thursday............Movin' on up"
    $43 15 april 2011 "A Fabulous Friday............Great Finish For The Week"
    $44 19 april 2011 "Monday.........Up Up and Away"
    $45.5 20 april 2011 "A Whale of a Wednesday............45+"
    $46.50 21 april 2011 "A Thundering Thursday...............Look at that puppy go!!"
    $49.50 25 april 2011 PEAK 1 - FIRST PROFITGRAB
    $45 25 april 2011 "Monday Mayhem.............Y'all survive? Monday Mayhem............Y'all survive? What a day. Actually, not all that bad. The long term trend is still up. Just a minor bump. A "little" more volatility than usual."
    $46 26 april 2011 "A downturn of 2 days or 2 weeks is not significant in the over all scope of things"
    $49.50 28 april 2011 PEAK 2
    $48 29 april 2011 "Silver..........Something to consider"
    $44 1 may 2011 SECOND PROFITGRAB
    $33 6 may 2011 "Silver...If you are never going to sell, what benefit is it to you?"

Notice how AFTER spot was already dumped back to $33, how he starts (!) to talk about selling.
    Spread positivity to trick them into buying high.
    GRAB THE PROFIT
    Spread negativity to trick them into selling low.
    BUY BACK IN

15. Pirocco

That's all true, and the reason I collect shinies, but something worth adding is that it is the value of silver relative to the value of other products, not to the fiat reference. In this aspect, the argument 'fiat currency fail / worth 0' is completely irrelevant. Nothing is a reason to buy a product at any price. Imagine silver went over $50 in 2011 to never return, and other prices doubled/tripled too, then you wouldn't have become economically richer with silver, only mathematically.

16. the optimist

the optimist New Member

Not really sure what your problem is, but you defo seem to have some issues with me !

I bought in at spot prices of about 18oz on silver and 950oz on gold so I'd say a bit of a disappointment

17. Pirocco

Are my questions not clear enough?
    The spot price now is the same as the spot price this summer.
    Where is your free fall?
    Where is your huge disappointment?
    Where is your life savings down the plug hole?
    A year ago, people bought when spot was above $30.
    Two years ago, people bought when spot was above $40.
    And now you're here, complaining about the same spot price as when you bought, 4 months later.
    Geez, there are people on this forum that bought 5 years ago when spot price was higher than yours, to see it then halving, to later doubling.
    Hence I classified your topic as 'drama', 'soap', within the setup of vested interest negativity spreading.
    That's neither a problem and neither an issue with a person. It's a reply, in a topic, on a forum. This forum, your topic, my reply. What is left, that you are unsure of, lol?

18. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Yes buying gold at 950 seeing it is 736 right now does make your eyes water.

(a) because your asset has devalued by over 20% in a very short timeframe

and

(b) you don't have the fiat to buy at current prices to take advantage of the lower prices.

Very frustrating to see fellow stackers backing up their trucks whilst many of us watch with envy.

19. Pirocco

I'm happy to see fellow stackers buying cheaper.
    Some out there, aren't fellow stackers.
    They caused that 20% down.
    While suggesting others to buy, they sold instead.
    The inverted happens at the other end of a price fluctuation.
    Something worth pointing out.
    The last time I stacked silver was end juli.
    That's the summer.
    The spot price on that moment was the same as today.
    The silver I bought then, had the same price as the silver is today, according to spot $19.5.
    Then I read this topic, also this summer, but 'life savings down the plug hole'.
    That must have been end august then, when the silver price was driven to near $25, for a couple days.
    Well, I chosed to NOT stack then.
    I decided to keep the euro's because of this trend:
    <date> <Comex net position> <spot price>
    17/12/2013 19245 $19.87 <- about same position as reference 24/09/2013, but $1.8 lower price
    10/12/2013 17532 $20.29
    03/12/2013 12165 $19.06
    26/11/2013 16428 $19.88
    19/11/2013 17464 $20.41
    12/11/2013 22629 $20.67
    05/11/2013 25834 $21.735
    29/10/2013 26136 $22.47
    22/10/2013 24885 $22.67
    15/10/2013 19273 $21.26
    08/10/2013 21268 $22.25
    01/10/2013 16645 $21.05
    24/09/2013 19621 $21.67 <- current reference
    17/09/2013 22254 $21.44
    10/09/2013 23498 $22.88
    03/09/2013 27363 $24.12
    27/08/2013 24374 $24.59 <- optimist stacks
    20/08/2013 23274 $23.02
    13/08/2013 20276 $21.38
    06/08/2013 10300 $19.43
    30/07/2013 8307 $19.85 <- Pirocco stacks
    23/07/2013 10113 $20.31

$19.87-$1.8=$18
    So while optimist buys at peaks and create topics with complains about life savings down plug hole (if all true lol, it's likely just moodmaking), I'm waiting for $18, to bring my average down more, as to correct them over time. By using what I learnt to pick out better moments. Just 'better' moments. If people drive the price down to $15, then I'll adjust accordingly, and will still add silver to my stack. Just more silver. Optimist should have been pessimist end august. But no. 1 month earlier, he didn't buy silver. Price went up from $19.5 to $24, and THEN he puts his life savings into silver. Well, he will surely have made happy somebody else on the silver market. HURAH I SOLD AT THE PEAK TO OPTIMIST. That's just how it is, isn't it?

20. the optimist

the optimist New Member

That about sums it up really.
    I don't regret that I bought it , I just wish it this week I bought it. :)