Absolute numptys

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by DanielM, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Just seen a guy getting a 1 oz gold bar tested at a goldbuyers, was soooo close to slapping him n making an offer on the spot (not the best one but better than goldbuyers)

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Id at least go up & tell him what its worth & give them a hardtime about theyre prices

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Daniel you have much to learn grasshopper . You SHOULD have made him an offer & you would have possibly got the cheapest gold bar you would ever get . .

I would have stood around looking interested & listened to their offer .....then watched his reaction & if he was interested chimed in with a better offer ( which would have been still below spot ) & walked away grinning like a cheshire cat ...

Now im not saying you hang around bullion dealers & do it but goldbuyers are parasites that rip people off so there would be no love lost there.

4. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who actually owns these gold buyers in the shopping centres?

5. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I especially hate it when I see the old pensioners go up with a handful of jewellry.

Probably selling off to help pay the bills, and these leeches are taking advantage.

6. DanielM

Normally I would have just CBF'd having it out with the lady's at goldbuyers today

7. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

This is EXACTLY what I would do.

I once bought a 1oz gold maple from someone while they were in a Brisbane coin dealer - they were offered spot - 5%. I offered them spot. The fella who was working there 'voiced his concern, until I pointed out that it was a free country, and I was mererly helping someone do their due diligence...

8. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Vultures

It's considered acceptable business practise though to prey on essential need or ignorance for profit though, let's not be so harsh on the gold buyer here.

I'm sure anyone without the bias blinkers on could easily name a number of MUCH larger markets where this sort of conduct is accepted 'smart' and 'ethical' business practise, right?

But I digress...

9. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

really? this seems like the ultimate opertunity to troll them. i would have done it in ear shot and seen what they say. they cant exactly tell you to leave their shop! (i assume it was at a shopping centre stall)
    would have loved to have seen them squirm as you tell the gold owner that you are willing to pay more and why
    i bought some silver of one person who had just taken 1 kg + of stirling to them and only got $200 odd

10. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is poor form but I am guilty of offering spot to people selling to gold buyers & the like. Often I get "I don't want spot, I want money!". Sheep are born to be fleeced. So sad! Recently I saw $200 gold coins being sold for... Drum roll... $200. My local coin dealer would ban me if I spoke up..

11. DanielM

I can't find anywhere that says who the owners/parent company of goldbuyers are

12. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They're providing a service to the community as does any other business and like any other business, there's overheads. Easy to say that you'd offer spot when you don't have to pay rent, staff etc. Also, who here has the capital to buy as much as they do on a daily basis and would take that risk?

It's also a quick and easy solution for the seller. Walk in with gold, walk out with the cash they would obviously prefer. Much easier than finding a site like this and then go through the whole building up the trust process before being able to offer the gold at a better price. Imagine a newbie signing up with the good intention of simply looking for nothing more than spot for his few ounces of gold, he'd be immediately castigated.

We all know that the majority of people aren't aware of golds worth and to get a load of fiat for a little bit of what is essentially useless metal to them, I don't blame them. I probably would have done the same before I found SS. I'm pretty sure we were all absolute numpties before becoming The Enlightened Ones.

As for who owns them- http://www.whoismydomain.com.au/whois/goldbuyers.com.au

13. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Well there are not many local coin dealers in WA. Which only leave a few, this also tells me they are like the rest and not playing fair. I am all for profit, but taking advantage of people is a common practice. I have seen ridiculous low ball offers from them. Sure they need to hold it, sell it etc... So there is a margin needed. Just how big though ?

14. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

15. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+2

16. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would we be breaking the law if we offered to buy the gold ? Is there a limit before we need a license to buy back?

17. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Been there, done that.

LCD in Hobart
    Offered seller $9 per 66 50 c

Waited outside , then offered $11per coin.

Meet in bank foyer 2 days later.

All happy.

Power to the people......

I know shops have overheads etc.

But?

18. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

convenience is a price that we have to pay. Just like 7/11 VS Supermarket. :D

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

oh yeh - BALLS!!!

20. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I went up to one last week getting ready to set up that biatch. But she just told me she cant give me a price unless shes sees the Gold first:(

She wasnt very nice either. Must be tough knowing your ripping people off big time.

Still...., in the end its the customers fault for not doing any research.

If watching dancing with the stars is more important than doing a 5minute google search, well you have nobody to blame but yourself.

But it still pisses me off :lol: