5oz Lunars

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Fiat = Ponzi, Jun 17, 2011.

1. NQDave

NQDave Active Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint is going to be very busy with all the coins they have lined up in that list.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

New coin press anyone? :)

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

mmm 20 oz dragon sounds V tempting, me thinks by the end of it I will have 0 bars left in my stack :)

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Looks like the PM is driving tanks through the 300k limit loophole. I may wait a few months after issuance and pick them up cheaper. With a sell out on issuance, I expect initial premiums to be high. But with the massive unlimited amount of dragons that the PM can produce with all the size and color variations, I expect the dragons to have a lower premium by this time next year.

5. Fiat = Ponzi

Fiat = Ponzi New Member

The reference to the silver kangaroos, bullion, high relief etc would be to the RAM's products. Didn't see anything about the Kangaroo @ Sunset silver versions continuing ?

6. Fiat = Ponzi

Fiat = Ponzi New Member

2012 Silver Australian Lunar Year of the Dragon Bullion Coloured Coins

The design for the 2012 Australian Lunar Year of the Dragon silver bullion coins features a coloured representation (Red: 1kg, 10oz, 5oz, 2oz, 1oz and 1/2oz; Blue: 1oz; Silver: 1oz; Purple: 1oz; Brown: 1oz; White: 1oz; Yellow: 1oz; Black: 1oz and Gold: 1oz) of a dragon and a fireball. The coin includes the inscription 'Year of the Dragon' along with the Pinyin pictograph pronounced 'lng' and meaning 'dragon'.

No idea what this is trying to tell me - anyone care to interpret ?!?!

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Reposted

8. overdraft3

overdraft3 New Member

1 tonne. Great for tourism value .

9. Fiat = Ponzi

Fiat = Ponzi New Member

1 tonne = 1,000 kilograms. 1 kilogram = 32.15 ounces. 1 tonne = 32,150 ounces. 1 ounce = $1,500. Therefore this big boy = $48,225,000 at spot price. Damn, a $50 million coin !

10. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Not sure I saw anyone mention his here .... but the Perth Mint have also stopped producing 2oz and 1/2oz coins, announced back in May:

"The decision to temporarily suspend 2oz and 1/2oz sizes (10oz and 5oz coins are already suspended), frees up additional manufacturing capacity so that we are in the best position to satisfy soaring demand for our two most popular coin sizes."

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/blo...n_Of_1oz_And_1_Kilo_Silver_Bullion_Coins.aspx

11. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Yeah saw that too. No more 2oz coins or 1/2oz coins. So what are they minting? Just 1oz and 1kg coins? Given the 1oz Lunars are all sold out and the 1oz Kooks are also all sold out, unless the demand for Koalas has been huge (unlikely) I'd say for the last month or so the various Dragons have been on the mint press.

Otherwise, with all that capacity for just 1kg coins? Dont think so.

12. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi Fiat = Ponzi

This notice of future releases was specifically Perth Mint Product so i highly doubt they are refferring to RAM product based in Canberra (which are there competitors in a way). I have a 2006 Perth Mint Kangaroo (gold gilded) and also the Japan Australia year of exchange - so Perth Mint do have a history with High Relief Kangaroo.

I note on your next post you clearly link to the info about the dragon coming out in sizes including a 1/2 ounce and a 2 oz ... this is sure confirmation they are keeping both, also the 5 oz is there so again thats confirmation.

The new Coloured dragons will be an additional supply but id say the guarenteed low mintage bullion Dragons will be the ones to get (and at the least inital costs to us).

Hopefully these coloured dragons are like $120 a pop along with the guilded and proofs.

Im definitley keen on some 1/2 oz lunar dragon tubes o 20!

1for1

13. rbaggio

Why so? If someone wants a 2011 5oz or 10oz Rabbit, there was only a few months of production until Dec 2010. They are still not being produced.

Yes they are bullion ..... but in the future, when people want to go back and get one of these 5oz or 10oz Rabbits (or Kooks for that matter, like you say), won't history show that there were less of them made in 2011? So you will pay more for 1?

Lunars for sure .... Kooks I am not sure if they can re-mint them at a later date.

Thoughts? Am I reading this wrong?

14. rbaggio

I hear what you're saying. Maybe this is due to the "APMEX Effect"? (Patent Pending). People looking up APMEX for reference value. I don't know, just a thought, I have fallen into the habit of doing it. Yes I know it's a US vendor etc etc, but still ......

2009 S2 5oz Ox - US$399 http://www.apmex.com/Product/43886/2009_Year_of_the_Ox___5_oz_Silver_Coin_Series_2.aspx
    2010 S2 5oz Tiger - US$470.85 http://www.apmex.com/Product/54870/2010_5_oz_Silver_Australian_Year_of_the_Tiger_Coin.aspx
    2011 S2 5oz Rabbit - Not listed

2009 S2 10oz Ox - US$591.70 http://www.apmex.com/Product/43887/2009_Year_of_the_Ox___10_oz_Silver_Coin_Series_2.aspx
    2010 S2 10oz Tiger - Not listed
    2011 S2 10oz Rabbit - Listed, Unavailable

Spot is US$34.15/oz

EDIT: spelling!
    EDIT 2: I just did a quick search for completed/current listings on ebay for reference prices, and couldn't find a single PM Lunar 5oz tiger or rabbit. Maybe my search skills suck?

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2010 S2 5oz Tiger - US$470?

That's a bit steep:)

16. ninteno

ninteno Member

I hope and i belive we wont see anymore 5 and 10oz Rabbits. The seeling window for both was very short. That should help premiums, espezially for the 5oz Version, ( into the secondary market, no Dealer has some to offer ) come to top the 5oz mouse. Maybe the mintage will be lower than the mouse.

I can remember that within 5 days after poping up the information of cancel 5oz production the price for the 5oz coin comes from 130 to 190 and all german dealer stocks were empty. A lot of people said that buying them for 190 is cracy, because we will see them very quickly back onto the market. Some sold their stock in hope to buy back later. I think it was the wrong decission to sell off. If there will be some more at momentary POS you are not able to get some lower than 180 (250 AU$) in germany.

Whats the monetary price for a 5oz rabbit in australia ? Any Idea ?

Cheapest Dealer in germany for the rabbit is 217, the tiger is 245, ox is 327, mouse not offered.
    Sometimes there arre private offers on boards, more than 400 are asked for the mouse.

Do not know if the are selling some on this prices, but thats their offer.

ninteno

17. duskyeldorado

duskyeldorado New Member

18. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

19. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I would think the rabbit might have a lower mintage than then tiger in 5oz's. $177 I got my 5oz rabbits for so hopefully will rise nicely.

By the way, why hasn't the Perth Mint updated their mintages to include the 2010 tiger given there havent been any minted now for over a year ?!?!