2017 Panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by HotlineBling, Aug 12, 2016.

1. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

Hey guys which month does the new design for the 2017 chinese mint BU pandas comes out?

2. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oct to nov

3. Golden

Golden Member

I'm just guessing here, but it will probably feature a panda. Or two. ;)

4. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

:lol:

5. tater

tater Active Member

who knows maybe even three.

6. Golden

Golden Member

That would make a great panda/coin ratio. I would buy some then. :)

7. HotlineBling

HotlineBling New Member

Need some advice from the Panda Community. As 2016 was the first year that pandas have transitioned from oz's to grams. Do any of you guys think there is great upside potential to the 2016 Panda silver coins?

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your guess is as good as anyone's. You could also assume 2015 would appreciate seeing how it was a failed attempt at not putting any markings on the coin.

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The less Pandas that people buy for a specific year - you can be fairly sure those Pandas will appreciate well into the future.

10. whay

whay Well-Known Member

I think both the 2015 and 2016, one without any markings and the other going metric(gm).

11. andrewlee10

13 the only one with 3 panda design for 1 oz.

12. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

13. badon

badon New Member

Why guess when you can evaluate the fundamentals? Everyone knows the first year of a series gets a popularity bonus. This is for many reasons, but the biggest one is because collectors want the coins that made history. The main-series of fiat 2016 30 g silver pandas marked one of the biggest and most controversial changes in the history of modern coinage, and that goes beyond just the pandas. For example, in this news article:

US Mint seeks advice for ways to stimulate and revitalize the coin collecting hobby at VIP-only event - Numismatic News : ModernCoins

See also this one:

US Mint seeks advice for ways to stimulate and revitalize the coin collecting hobby at VIP-only event - Numismatic News /r/ModernCoins : coins

The author, who was invited to the USA mint's VIP-only event, suggests the USA mint should consider making metric weight coins because:

It is impressive how far the China mint's influence has reached, but that's only the latest example of many.

As you know, the 2016 30 g silver panda was debased to the substandard 30 gram metric weight, down from the standard 1 oz (31.1 gram) weight. That debasement is the nature of fiat, and the source of controversy that makes it interesting. Everyone knows it's interesting too, so lots of people are buying them in the hope of making some money, just like you. Although the sales are good for 2016, I think this is solely because it's the first year of an interesting change. Next year, will the sales be better or worse?

One thing I'm sure of is there is a LOT of resistance to debased weights - not metric weights, because the 1 g, 1 kg, and even the 10 kg sizes all have a long history of success. It's the debased weights that always end up being rejected, melted, and reformed into something else that's more acceptable. In the 1980's and 1990's, the China mint tried a lot of debased metric weights, and NONE of them caught on, and in every case I can think of, the series of coins that used the metric weight ended up being canceled due to lack of buyers. This includes silver pandas and lunars.

In 1981 the first fiat lunars were minted in 8 g gold (debased 1/4 oz) and 15 g silver (debased 1/2 oz). They failed and were replace by 1 oz weights. In 1983 the first silver pandas were minted in 27 g silver (debased 1 oz). They failed and were replaced by 1 oz weights. This repeated over and over and over and over, and the China mint still keeps pushing debased fiat, and people who don't understand fiat are handing over their money with the expectation of making a quick profit. All I can say is, good luck with that...

For myself, I'm not investing in the debased fiat 2016 30 g silver pandas. Instead, I'm investing in everything else that came before, and everything else that came after, if it is connected to the issue of fiat versus non-fiat. Some of these investments became hugely profitable within a few months. The people participating in the coin market may not understand fiat, but whether they are individually aware of it or not, the market as a whole still behaves exactly as it should in favoring non-fiat over fiat, and especially so when the fiat is a debased version of a standard weight.

Once again, this isn't about metric versus ounces. That's a red herring intended to divert your attention away from what really matters. This is about debasing the fiat to substandard weights. In other words, this is about reducing the amount of silver you get when you buy a fiat panda. How much is that literally-meaningless fiat number worth to you? Is it wise to gamble on the value of fiat numbers, when you know they ALWAYS lose value?

Ask yourself these questions: What's in it for you? Do you get more silver? Higher rarity? Higher popularity? Or is it just less silver?

14. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

All I know is these fiat coins have appreciated substantially over their issue price. I bought the 2016's at about $20.00. That's not a bad return based on the APMEX sales. I roll the dice on both fiat and non fiat pandas.

[​IMG]

15. andrewlee10

Diversify is the key.

Guess who is the 2017 and 2018 panda designer lol. Not from Shanghai mint. This is the clue I am giving.

Not ask me the answer. Announcement will be soon.

16. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I don't know enough about this to understand your clues. Please tell us what mint the 2016 design came from?

17. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

From Nanjing Mint? :cool:

18. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

The same boring bamboo forest on the back side?
    This is the only thing I want to know before I am interested about designer name

19. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

If not Nanjing Mint then Shenyang Mint!

20. andrewlee10

2015 and 2016 were designed by Rocky from shanghai mints.

2017 and 2018 awaiting formal announcement. However, It is definite not shanghai mint designer.