2015 Mexico 2-Coin Silver Libertad Proof/Reverse Proof Set

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Luker

Luker Member

[​IMG]

Product Details
    The Banco de Mexico has partnered with APMEX to produce just 500 of these unique two-coin sets featuring its most popular design. This beautiful APMEXclusive set contains two 2015 Silver Mexican Libertad coins in both Proof and Reverse Proof finishes.

Set Highlights:

Contains a total of 2 oz of .999 fine Silver.
    Extremely limited mintage of just 500 sets.
    Comes housed in a wooden box showing the Winged Victory. The box lid features both the Banco de Mexico and APMEX logos.
    This set contains the first-ever Reverse Proof Silver Libertad.
    Obverse: Depicts two key symbols of the Mexican people: the Winged Victory statue in the forefront and the Mexican volcanoes Popocatepetl and Iztaccihuatl in the background.
    Reverse: Features a sculptural relief design of the National Shield, encompassed by the legend "Estados Unidos Mexicanos" (United Mexican States), surrounded by different national coats of arms used throughout Mexico's history.

This magnificent 2-coin Proof Silver Libertad set is a popular choice not only because of its attractive design, but also its mintage at Casa de Moneda de Mexico, the oldest mint in North America. Add this 2015 2-coin Proof Silver Mexican Libertad set to your cart today!

http://www.apmex.com/product/91150/...gn=2015-7-30-2015-Libertad-Set-ProofSilver-PB

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Haha, as I posted on another forum, it was initially priced at 199 USD, then 249 USD, then 349, then 399, finally 499!

APMEX doing their thing again :p

3. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Nice set, but really? Couldn't they have at least glued the loose magnet back on to the lid before taking the picture lol.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm not familiar with APMEX pricing. Do they charge a too high premium on Libertads? Even BU Libertads?

5. Northerncoins

I think they have a scaled pricing computer scrip in place that increases as they sell , these have only 500 mintage so I guess they are selling fast. :eek:

6. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm a big Libertad fan, but $499USD for 2 coins...

7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

They do have occasional (usually mediocre) sales but their ordinary prices are consistently in the high retail range. Their only saving grace is that they have a gigantic inventory---probably the most extensive of all the US-based online PM vendors.

I'm not totally certain about this set, though... I don't remember the Mexican mint previously doing any "exclusives" with Apmex and the box this set comes in isn't a typical Libertad Proof Set box. The typical boxes have a quality wooden lid and come in a cardboard sleeve. They don't have a cheap little metal lid (with a vendor name printed on it) like this one. Then there's the way Apmex did a non pre-announced sale and jacked the price up viciously (from $200 to $400 in less than one hour as they made small numbers of sets available but then several times increased the number available and jacked the price up again). As I add these things together, I have to wonder if this "set" is an Apmex creation. I know it comes with a Mexican Mint COA, but that just doesn't make me feel good enough here. Too much seems wrong with this picture and it all just reeks of artificially creating a feeding frenzy and then fanning the flames. It made me feel wary and I stayed away from it.

I'll be interested in watching what information develops in the next few weeks and seeing whether this set turns out to be a genuine Mexican Mint set (with the Apmex name printed on the inferior box=???) or an Apmex fabrication. Time will tell...

8. Northerncoins

I agree with pretty much everything you said. My only question is, how many reverse proof 2015 2 oz libertads have been or will be produced? If only 500 in this set then its going to be a high value item, if more are going to be produced then maybe not so much.

9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Correct, but if this turns out to be an Apmex-fabricated set that might also hold the value down. The whole thing is going to come down to whether or not there'll be more reverse proofs than the ones Apmex is selling in these sets.

Buying a 7-coin Libertad boxed proof set on pre-order this year or last year didn't cost anywhere near $250/oz. The way this has been handled really looks like an artificially created feeding frenzy. It seems Apmex is trying to play the roles of both online PM vendor and Ebay flipper at the same time. Just a personal opinion, but that strikes me like a pretty brazen money grab and definitely not a positive commentary on Apmex corporate ethics or integrity.

On a related note, Apmex is already selling the 2015 Libertad 5-coin boxed proof set for $328. OUCH! That's ~1.5x what they sold the 2014 set for when it came out.

10. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

These are 2 ounces *total* -- 2 x 1-oz coins.

The reverse proof looks cool.. But not $250 per ounce cool.

Not even $100 per ounce cool, unless it's a slabbed 70.

Hopefully the mint continues with these, apart from Apmex.

11. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea I'm not for it. I don't like how apmex plays games with prices like they do. I hardly buy from them.

12. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is the probability of it milk spotting? Has anyone here had a proof Libertad develop spots?

13. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Is it a genuine reverse proof or just a bullion coin. I see & hear that word reverse proof bandied about all over the place when they are in fact just a bullion coin.

14. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oo yeah. If it is silver, it might milk spot.

15. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Plus it says apmex. :( much happier to have the 7 coin proof set.

16. Luker

Luker Member

...It almost appears from the photographs like the prooflike kilo version but with a more drab background...perhaps next year they will put out a set of three or four coins having proof, reverse-proof, bullion and prooflike versions...

17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

+1. When I see the Apmex name on a cheap little stamped metal (probably aluminum) box lid, it's like having a red flag waved in my face and the price gouging is a major turn-off as well.

18. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

No problems spotting here.

19. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Lots of them develop spots. Proof libs have a pretty serious problem with this.....even graded versions can get them over time.

20. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I never understood why the Libertad kilo with box/coa is called proof-like instead of reverse proof, which is what it looks like to me. I think the box is cheap and ugly and I think the reverse proof is a clear winner. I don't doubt the set is official, it's just a little different from what we've seen Banco de Mexico do with a reseller before. Putting APMEX on the lid was dumb in my opinion, similar to how I thought it was dumb for Scottsdale to put their logo on packaging made to look like a bible, but in both cases nobody bothered to ask me LOL. APMEX has played games with their pricing like that many times (2014 Perth Mint 1 oz Silver Lunar Horse?!), and they'll continue to as long as buyers are eager to participate in the frenzy. I'm guessing the mintage for 2015 1oz proof silver libertads will be higher than 2014 . . . maybe much higher.