2014 or 2015 Panda gold if you had to choose which one and why?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Silverpv, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I'm in a conundrum. I want to get 2015 or should i load up on the 2014's since its the last year of the writing. What do you guys think? all prices being equal.

2. trozau

trozau Member

2015 - only year of issue without the inscription regarding weight, purity and metal composition. Also the last year issue in Troy ounce. Inscription returns in 2016 as 30 gr replacing 1 oz.

3. silvestor

silvestor Member Silver Stacker

All prices being equal- 50-50

4. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

if one to invest in bullion and have some semi-numis exposure then 2014 without any doubt
    if one to think that 2015 due to low current demand will go up in value then I would add 2015, but I highly doubt the current mintage is low to justify future price appreciation .
    2014 - is the last year to complete 1989-2014 collections
    2015 being transitional has far less interest as it doesn't belong to future collection started in 2016 either
    For me 2015 can be worth something only if slabbed

P.S. Instead of 2014-2015 I would add 2016 - it is good to be on the train since the start.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

2016 is for sure, but I have over a year to add those. So just wondering before either 2014 or 2015 starts to move with significance. I appreciate teh comment.

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This. I don't think 2015 would be the one to keep, seeing how it is the odd one out. I would go with either 2014 (priority), followed by 2016. And if you had the spare cash, just 2015 for safe measure.

7. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

hmmm... 2016 first year issue... Thanks guys for the reality check. It seems any one of the years will be worth while since they are pandas with a 3 year transitional step.

8. trozau

trozau Member

I consider the complete collection run
    for Ag: 1989-2015
    for Au: 1982-2015
    because they are all troy ounce.

9. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

1987 panda 1 troy oz too, though 925 silver
    So people will get wondering how 2015 different from 1987
    And I have an answer - 0.075 of purity is missing

10. trozau

trozau Member

Official start of bullion series silver Panda is 1989. 1983 - 1987 issues were proof and purity is NOT 999. :cool:

11. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

1989 to 1996 also have proof silver 1oz panda

12. trozau

trozau Member

Additionally, 1/2 oz silver pandas were issued from 1993-1998. And even more commemorative silver panda medals from the late 80s and 90s. Plus the newer silver bank commemorative pandas in the 2000s. Just depends on how extensive you want your silver panda collection to be. :cool:

13. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are too far many silver commemorative pandas coins which just press the word or gold gild or just make additional privy marks on the particular years panda coin. It is not easy to collect all except you have the financial capacity. This not even mention the yearly coin show panda medal(s), commemorative panda medals and world panda medals and coins.

Generally, I call the silver commemorative pandas coins which just press the word or gold gild or just make additional privy marks on the particular years panda coin as "WORDS ADDED PANDA COIN". The mintage is always far below than the bullion 1 oz panda and it always come with box and coa. Therefore, the price is pricing as numic even it is bullion. Many of the words added panda price is higher than the release price. Some even much 3-10 times higher than the same year bullion panda coin.

I do not really got times to do the statistics of the price comparison on all words added panda and normal bullion panda. The start of chinesemedals.com and venture into minting new medals have consumed Bob and me significant times and efforts. Therefore, I have stopped a lot of my research projects.

Are any panda lover love to commit himself to help in some projects which I can provides a lot of information and database? If yes, private message.

14. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Just an FYI, i went with 2015 for the time being with a couple of 2014's. I didn't want to backtrack and pay premiums and I have time next year to pick up the 2016's. I mainly picked up 1 oz and 1/10 oz what's the market on the 1/2 and 1/4 oz? Are those ususally the sizes to get? Which is better 2 x 1/2 or 4 x 1/4? if you had $1200 or 1 1/2 and 2 1/4, based on price appreciation of historical pandas. Granted the mintages are higher but just asking hypothetically

15. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

The 1/2 gold panda coin has up till now appreciated the most when compared to other gold panda fractionals and the 1oz gold coin. This is because it is collected individually as well as part of the gold panda set. The increased mintages in recent years may dampen that phenomenon but it is likely to hold the further away you move from the mintage date. However note that these coins are currently regarded as bullion but I have no doubt that as the years go by and best quality coins disappear from the market numismatic premiums will increase.

As a counterpoint the lighter weight fractionals are also more affordable so are likely to sell faster compared to the 1/2oz and 1oz coins. The question is how light can you go? I notice for example that the 1/10oz gold coins seem to sell faster than the 1/20oz coins when both are offered for sale at the same time. But those lowest weight fractionals are also used for jewelry which damage the coins and virtually wipe out their numismatic potential.

I haven't sold coins yet so I do not have practical experience with that aspect of market dynamics but if you are an infrequent seller I would think that loading up on the 1/2oz gold coins will be the way to go. Otherwise the 1/4oz or 1/10oz coins could be more profitable if you are a seller who needs to keep the storefront filled with inventory and for other reasons. Or you can buy some of each, in essence building 1-2 complete gold panda sets, in which case you will gain full exposure to both individual coin and gold set coin collectors.

Let see what other opinions here are with regards to your question.

Also note that the fundamentals may change (a bit?) with the increased 2016 coin lineup.

16. andrewlee10

why not take 2014 as past, 2015 as transit and 2016 as future. IF I BUY Three and combine as a set it will be something:p

17. andrewlee10

If you have bought the 1 oz and 1/10. Why not consider buying 1/2, 1/4 and 1/20 each to make a set of 5 coins instead of by 4 of 1/4 or 2 1/2 gold panda?

Some collector collect 5 coins set for particular years, some collect 1 oz or differences size from 1982 till current and some only collect key date or so on. choose one best for you.

18. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I've thought of building a 5 set or just going for smaller ones cause they are easier to sell. 5 coin sets are slow and you can still sell the individuals for the same premium. A set isn't exactly cheaper, which was why I was looking that way.

19. andrewlee10

If you look for sell 1 oz and 1/10 oz is the best and most common.

1/2 and 1/4 need wait too. 1/4 better than 1/2 if intention for sell less than 1 -3 years.

I make money on selling 1 oz silver panda BUT I have not sold any gold panda overseas.

First ebay fee is high and low or even no margin for selling recent year gold panda after all the fee. This yet to include risk of loss and customer return.

Second it is hard to get around custom in china if it is gold.

Third, Singapore market is small and many low ball want it at spot rate when you sell.

Fourth, insurance cost is high if ship overseas. :p

20. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

The intention isn't to sell, but I would like to know I could sell when I needed to easily. I prefer liquidity. I can see the constraints that you have overseas.