2014 Libertad Proof 7 coin set limited 250 sets

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Torcan, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SweetBread

SweetBread Member

Mine got delivered as well but I won't be able to have a look at it till I get home early next month, something to look forward to.

2. Luker

Luker Member

2014 Silver Libertad Proofs: The Magnificent Seven

http://world.mintnewsblog.com/2014/10/2014-silver-libertad-proofs-the-magnificent-seven/

October 17, 2014 By Gabriel Leif Bellman /4 Comments

Late into the 2014 calendar, Libertad collectors can finally celebrate the elusive 2014 silver proof releases. Each year seems to present another strange and exciting chapter, and 2014 is no different. All of the 2014 Libertad Proofs sold out from the Mexican Mint in just one hour.

This includes the kilo coin, the 5, 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10, and 1/20 ounce proofs. The 2014 mintages likely will be similar to 2013 mintages (early word on the street has it)- which in non-libertad terms means "insanely rare" just not "so rare you always have to pay 10 times release price" rare. The 2013 releases checked in at 9100 one ounce coins, which was more than the 4200 2012's. The 2013 fractionals ranged from 3000 for the 1/2 ounce proof to 4200 of the 1/20 ounce proof. We will see what the 2014 numbers come in at- likely next year.

One of the complaints about the U.S. Mint has been the way that they release low mintage items (usually the complaints are by people who miss out on the releases). The Mexican Mint has avoided this criticism by being so capricious and arbitrary on their dates and mintages that any outrage is superseded by confusion and scrambling. The only other modern series equivalent is probably the Chinese silver panda- which have really high 1990's prices- but even those have a different design every year. So from a collectors viewpoint- if you like high appreciation in price, the libertad proofs are on a run like Apple Stock, with each release year playing the role of keynote updates. No other modern non-rotating design coin has anywhere close to the appreciation in price that silver libertad proofs have.

2014 Silver Libertad Proof Set

The fact that all the 2014 proofs were released in one batch (previous years tended to dole out the box sets, the single issues, and the fractionals and larger sizes at different times) has the effect of flooding what promises to be another very limited market. One of the big hit surprises has been the new 7 coin proof set, (let's call it "The Magnificent Seven") which collects all of the silver proof coins except the kilo (which is technically matte anyway) into one beautiful set. The box and COA show a mintage of only 250 sets, and if you managed to get your hand on one, you are in elite company. Secondary prices have skyrocketed, and the sets have been selling for between $1100 and $2000.

What's interesting about liberated proofs- a numismatic trend that we don't see in any other modern sets, is that the box sets with COA's sell for much higher prices than the single, or even third party 70 graded coins. In fact, the same coins that sell in a wooden box with COA tend to sell for only about 75% of their value when missing just the box and COA. This holds true for the past wooden box sets-a pattern that seems checkered on the older, sleeved proof sets. You just don't see as much of a premium on those sleeved sets (which started in 1992)- it's there, but not as much as those same coins in high third party graded holders. One possibility of this "wood rush" is a large section of wooden box libertad collectors. 2008 was the first year the wooden box sets were offered, with a mintage of only 1000. You can surmise by the premiums that there are more than 1000 wooden box set collectors (2012 and 2013 represented partial wooden box sets as well- partial versions of the 5 coin set or combos of burnished and proof coins- usually with a mintage of only 1000 or 1500). Those 5 coin wooden box collectors are likely driving the 7 coin sets up to such high prices. Here's the math: only 25% as many of the 7 coin as 5 coin box sets exist. Will the 7 coin box become the "key" to the wooden box series? Will there be a rare KOA wood with COA set released in 2018 to commemorate the 10th year of wood boxes? Time will tell, but the Mexican Mint has shown itself to be very gimmick free in comparison with the packaging and designs of the other World Mints (notably the Royal Canadian, Perth, and even U.S Mint). The no-frills libertad release is perhaps most similar to the 2011 American Silver Eagle 25th anniversary sets, except instead of minting techniques, the bonus is the box and COA. The 1998 key proof coin (fetching between $3000-$6000 for the 1 ounce coin) seems to line up with the 1995W silver eagle in price.

Maybe the larger questions the come from the wooden box sets have to do with the future. We have certainly seen counterfeit coins on the market (notably a rash of Mongolian owl, hedgehog, wolverine, and ram counterfeits). Will we start to see counterfeit wood (perhaps made out of particle board)?

3. db23

db23 Member

4. chrislehr

chrislehr New Member

I wish I bought more than one. Presume there was a household limit, but I honestly thought $500 was high when I bought!

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. db23

db23 Member

This could be a huge gamble for someone that really wants one of these in their collection. We could see mintage numbers released in a few months since we're already getting close to 2015; most people are expecting a low overall mintage because of the extremely late start. If we see the 2oz and 5oz come back with numbers of less than 1000 each, the price tag on these sets will only go up because any mintage numbers released would be inclusive of the coins in the 5 and 7 coin sets.

7. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

I'll be holding on to mine for quite awhile. Keeps life interesting.

"All things old were once new"

8. chrislehr

chrislehr New Member

9. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

delete

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

What is all this mushy lovefest admiration for proof and proof-like Libertads about anyway....you people are supposed to be stackers, not pretty coin enthusiasts! :)

11. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

Let's say, a Stacker, but also a collector of one particular issue

I can have my cake and eat it too !!!

12. Luker

Luker Member

Quite a few (8) 2014 5oz silver proof Libertads currently up for eBay auction including four (4) via Don Bailey (Mexican CoinBroker) :

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/5-oz-libertad

Cheers,
    Luker

13. db23

db23 Member

Says something about mintage expectations when 8 qualifies as "quite a few". ;)

14. mmissinglink

15. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

I've been looking all over the web for 2 and 5 oz. Proof Libertads with no luck.

Ebay seems to be the only place they are available.

Fascinating.

16. mmissinglink

eBay is probably far and away the #1 after market resource in the world for coins. Probably most coin dealers in the US and Europe sell coins on eBay. I have also found some coins, medals, and silver art bars on eBay that I found nowhere else. Plus, I have found better prices for many coins on eBay. It isn't a perfect global commerce marketplace and the fees are steep, but no other marketplace can match it in what it provides.

17. Luker

Luker Member

18. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

19. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

20. TasAg

TasAg Active Member