2014 Kilo Silver Libertad soon to be shipping from the mint

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Today I spoke with one (www.donbailey-mexico.com) of the 2 distributors in the U.S. that handles silver proof-like kilo Libertad orders and I was informed that the new 2014 PL kilo coin will be shipping soon out of Mexico.

So, for those who have not placed a pre-order yet for this remarkable and low mintage coin, there's still time. Pre-ordering the kilo PL Libertad will likely get you a discount. My guess is that there will be less than 1,000 of these minted. Could even be a key date, lower than other years.

Keep in mind that SilverStacker forum member db23 is also the other dealer in the U.S. that handles orders for this pristine coin.

2. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Yippee-cant wait!!!

3. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

you beat me to it :)
    Choice Bullion is the only outlet I have
    as Don Bailey DOES NOT SHIP TO CANADA

4. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Did you happen to discuss the 2014 Aztec Calendar, mintage and when they will ship? Thanks for the update on the Libertads.

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone selling these kilo coins in Australia?

6. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

Anyone for a group buy?

7. mmissinglink

Actually, in my excitement of hearing the news that the kilo PL Libertad's will be shipping from Mexico soon, I never even thought to ask.

Hey, db23, can you tell us more about the 2014 kilo Aztec Calendars? What a nice mate this would make for the 2014 kilo Libertad! :)

Me thinks that the Banco de Mxico likes to keep hush-hush about big coins not available for sale yet....I kinda like that stealth approach....means that the people who pay closer attention will be the one's who are assured of availability from the 2 prime dealers and not have to wait to seek these coins out on ebay or APMEX where you know you are paying higher premiums.

For those not in N. America, I say that forum member db23 is probably your best bet to contact to ensure getting your kilo coin.

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi

This coin is 1 K Mintage which is common for other years.

2013 is the lowest mintage as at today for proof like.

Apmex still have more than 50 pieces. However the price is USD few hundred more.

9. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. mmissinglink

Hi andrewlee, where are you getting the mintage figure from?

11. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a nice coin no doubt, but I'm always torn between buying this and a kilo panda...

12. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Was only thinking this yesterday. Then looked up the mintage figures... 2004-2010 was 4,000 and then 2011 jumped to 8,000. 2013 and 2014 sees 20,000. Then again it's all relative due to the size of panda loving community when compared to the Libertadians.

2014 is Us$1,800 on APMEX. But with a yearly design change, bigger collector base and increasing premiums on previous years it may actually be worth it.

13. MDAMDA

MDAMDA New Member

The mintage is confirmed with 1k for 2014.

I will ship Libertad Kilo 2014 worldwide for those that are looking for this coin.

14. db23

db23 Member

I believe House posted something about the Aztec Calendar coins in the show your Mexican coins thread. We don't sell them because even though they are a very nice looking coin, I don't see quite as much demand with them as with the Libertads.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-694688.html#p694688

15. mmissinglink

Panda kilo's are nice too but I'm thinking that with Mexico eventually poised to get into the top 10 economies of the world in a few years ( http://blog.euromonitor.com/2010/07/special-report-top-10-largest-economies-in-2020.html ) and steadily move up from there perhaps ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/08/11/can-mexico-overtake-brazil-by-2022/ ), this might mean better things for Mexico coin demand than it would be for China coin demand. Also, population projections ( http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/02/03/10-projections-for-the-global-population-in-2050/ ) show that by 2050, Mexico's growth will be +32% while China's will be only + 2% (see section 10 of that page).

Additionally, this seems like it would benefit Mexico as well: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_monetary_union ) How'd it be different from the EU? Most obviously, there would be a lot learned from the EU model to make a NA Union much stronger than the EU could ever achieve.

Is China coin demand at it's peak already? I don't know. but certainly I think Mexico is far from its peak still which means that premiums on the 1,000 kilo Libertads might be better than premiums on the 20,000 kilo Panda's some years down the road.

If it's a choice between kilo Libertad's and Panda's, I'm going with Libertad's.

16. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I really like the Mexican coins and tend to feel they are a good investment play. The one thing I don't like however, is the lack of a changing design. That seems to drive collectors a little more. With some of the extremely low mintage figures though, should they become the "it" coin at some point one would have to think the sky could be the limit.

17. mmissinglink

^ Agreed, it would be a bonus for the design to change....though I must admit that if it did change, I would really miss the current awesome design.

Incidentally, the Libertad's did have a design change in 1996 ....so it's not like it's unheard of and who knows, we could see one again.

18. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I also like Mexican coins although I don't own single one. Plans and money, you know. ;)

Wouldn't mind as well having more design changes. If the last is from 1996, that's almost 20 years ago. :) Still I think are one of the nicest bullion/semi/numi (depends on the type of course) coins.

Kilo Aztec is very high on the list of "must buy". :)

19. mmissinglink

Nice to see you come back around the forum, Stark. I hope wealth and prosperity pays you a visit soon and long term....then you can begin your nice Mexican coin collection with a kilo Libertad and a kilo Aztec Calendar!

20. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

I kinda like that the design has not changed. There are too many "new" issues out there from every other mint in the world.
    Just take a look at all the different issues

This is possibly why there is so much appeal to the Libertad.