2012 Panda 30y brass china medal

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by smokymcpot, Sep 22, 2012.

1. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

2. low

low New Member

NO.

The reason is very simple.

1. The company who produce this medal is, what a joke!
    2. There are official coins release by official Mint to commemorate this event.

Do not confuse the earlier brass panda medal with the recently issued panda medal. The issuance of earlier panda medal has to go through several level of approval process, right to the central government. Those medals are solid.

You can't say this for recently issued panda medal.

If you like panda medal, go for pre-1990 issue. They are real and they are good.

If you like 30th anniversary, go for the silver or gold coin. Not the medal.

If you like to collect for the sake of collecting (which obviously is not) then anything is good.

3. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

That's a bold big NO. Haha. May I know why?

4. low

low New Member

Hahaha. The real reason is because I don't feel comfortable with the company who produce the medal. Anyway I have edited my earlier post.

Buying coins are a lot simpler than buying medal.

The most important thing when considering a medal is the company produce the medal, and secondly, the engraver. Mintage should be the absolutely, very last thing you consider.

Ever know why the mintage of the medals are always that low? Hahahaha.

5. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Test market?

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Still looks like a very cool medal!

7. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Yeah its cool but from an investment view?

8. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm just a humble Panda investor/collector, but in my opinion.

It gets my "Yes" from an investment and collector point of view.

1. This years 30th Anniv. Pandas have been incredibly popular - whose popularity I believe will continue onto this medal.

2. The limited availability of this medal is greatly superseded by the demand that envisage.

3. Those who have been collecting brass medals in the past, will likely want this one too.

9. silverfever

silverfever New Member

if you want a good investment
    go and buy some Maybank shares on KLSE .

10. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Uhh,ouch. Any other opinions people?

11. low

low New Member

It is said that the current count of active large copper (brass included) medal collectors in China are less than 1000. Therefore you won't see high mintage for medals, definitely not at the moment.

The collectors base are growing, so are the company who produce medals.

So far lunar medals issued by one of the three official Mint (and not the unknown company belongs to the Mint) are among the better one if the focus is on investment.

12. серебро

серебро New Member

1000 or less collectors, where do you get that type of info?

13. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Yea it's always hard to say what will make a good investment looking 10 or 20 years down the road. It's really a "crap shoot" on anything. Hell ... who would have thought dinosaur poop was valuable? It Is !! :D

I'm not sure about the potential of this medal (or any) but I like it ! I do understand the viewpoint of low as well but this medal is cheap so why not go for it ... it looks pretty cool

Hell I might buy four of them and use'em for drink coasters :D

14. серебро

серебро New Member

Personally I like it, so I will buy a few. If value increases over time thats a bonus

15. low

low New Member

Not just collectors, but active collectors who buys consistently.

The info came from a China forum posted by one knowledgeable medal collector.

16. low

low New Member

For immediate flip, 1983 Great Wall 1 yuan NGC MS67. Selling on ebay from $200 - $250. Selling on China $400+, in today's market.

For slightly longer period, consider this http://jibi.net/News/ltb/85727476.html

Since you are in Malaysia, I believe gold, coins or medals (if you really like) is better and easier.

Buying modern silver or copper from overseas can be a problem, sooner or later. And when you have to go to custom office (or authorised the post office/courier) to pay tax, I assure you the experience is not a pleasant one.

For whatever reasons, gold is not taxable. You can buy gold coin worth a million dollar and it is not taxable.

If you buy modern silver or copper and the invoice amount + freight chargers exceed RM500, you have to pay RM50 + 15% of (invoice amount + freight).

You can't avoid paying tax if you buy silver in bulk quantity. Say 10x 2012 1oz silver.

Our custom is stupid.

17. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

So if there is only 1000 collectors of these type medals in China is there much interest in these in the rest of the world?

18. SGHAF

SGHAF New Member

If you like the design, just buy it for collection. Brass medal is not so expensive.

I have sold 18 pcs brass medal so far. None of them have ever bought the medal before. Most of the buyers buy it because they like the design of this medal. I never tell my buyers that the medal will increase in value over the years.

The mintage of brass medal is not so high, only 999. The buyers of this medal are mainly collector, not speculators. Once it sold off, other buyer, who are interested to buy, must pay higher price to buy from collectors. If you like it and think that other panda lovers will love it as well, then it is good to buy one for collection purpose. If you are an investor, buy two and resell one to other panda lover at higher price in 2-3 years time. I always keep at least 2 pcs each for my own collection. When I think it is the right to sell or other collector make an attractive offer to buy my coins, i will sell.

None of us here can tell whether this brass medal will appreciate in value or not. If you like it, just buy. If you dont like it, don't buy even the price might have potential to go higher. Buying something you dont like is a huge risk.

19. low

low New Member

What I can say is, medal market is small compared to coins.

Since we are discussing investment potential here, and considering OP is relatively new (I stand corrected) to MCC, my personal suggestion is to buy coins instead of medal.

I gone through this excercise (although I am still a newbie) and I felt it is better to explore the mainstream market and move from there slowly.

Collecting medals can be a lonely journey for beginner.

If there are coins and medals to commemorate the same event, why make life so difficult by going for medals instead of coins? Well if one is experienced collector / investor then that is different story.

There will always be demand for coins. Can't quite say the same thing for medals.

Anyway my post in this thread is "customised" for smokymcpot. That is my honest opinion which may not work for most people reading this forum.

20. серебро

серебро New Member

Low I am sure eveyone like myself enoy reading your input.