2012 Chinese Lunar Dragon

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by fishball, Oct 23, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I decided to go ahead and buy an assortment of each 2012 Dragon the Chinese, Canadian & Australian.

The Canadian dragons are not a bad deal at $98 and the mintage is only 48,888 so a fair deal I would say, especially for a PROOF coin ! :)

These dragons are 26.7 grams (.858 oz) but still $98 for a proof with mintage of 48,888 is decent.

I can say that holding it in my hand I got a much better appreciation for the coin :)

[​IMG]

2. Kirk

Kirk Member

the Canadian dragon coins are very nice ... and the mintages were even lower in previous years for the tiger and rabbit (round 9,999 - flower 19,888) making a potential 12 year set fairly limited ... but surprisingly not much dragon mania

3. comeaux

there really has been no "Mania" of any kind related to coins from our friendly neighbors on the northern US border :D

Without doubt the "mania" that has absolutely exploded is Modern Chinese Coins

4. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

this one looks awesome! but why canadians always mint some 26.7 gram crap coins? why they not make some 1 troy ounce nuims? :(

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

lol I read your post on CCF and the reply...

WHICH SIDE IS THE DRAGON? :lol:

The queen's head does seem a little weird being on a lunar coin but oh well what can you do :p

6. comeaux

Tamo42 I'm in 100% agreement with you on the 2012 Chinese Dragon plum blossom.

60,000 mintage for a Chinese Lunar Dragon ???!!!

This coin will be sold out VERY quickly and prices will definitely increase. As I have said before, Australian and Canadian Lunars are not even in the same stratosphere. Chinese Lunars are in high demand and have always been.

It is perfectly understandable waiting on price drops for Australian & Canadian Dragons but don't think we will see this with Chinese issued dragons. I could be wrong but don't think so. Dragons are a significant cultural symbol to Chinese people, much more than most others. I would not be surprised to see Chinese people buying these that are not even coin collectors.

I spoke to a very large dealer yesterday who said that the dragons are not actually in possession of any dealers yet and that is why you see no others being sold except Xu Hong in which those are actually unspoken "pre-orders" as he knows they will be out on any day very soon. I don't mind waiting.

It was also conveyed by the same dealer that Xu Hong prices seem to be very good compared to what the actual release price is expected to be.

Demand is too high for all 1 oz Chinese dragons (or any other size for that matter), none of them will be received as *yawn* as the Australian & Canadian issues. I think you will see this same sentiment conveyed at CCF which has a large Chinese population of members.

The plum blossoms will sell out first but the others will not be far behind. The good news is that people will probably be able to buy the Aussie & Canuck dragons even cheaper than they are giving them away for now :D

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Heh I'm waiting for the bloody exchange rate to go back up a bit before I buy, as of now it's below parity and it hurts to buy dragons >_>.

I sold out most of my gimmicky Perth Mint dragons (colored, typeset etc) and planned to move it into these dragons instead :p

But yeah I might just buy 1 or 2 first from Xu Hong in case I miss out ... hmmm decisions decisions.

8. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

For buyers from Australia, you might want to consider this seller. She is based in Australia and charges in AUD although some of her items ship from China. I've bought from her before on ebay and I had no problems with my order. I bought my 2012 dragon (flower) from Mr. Xu because I have a longer relationship with him and he accommodates my minor requests. However, this seller I am mentioning may be a better option for Aussie buyers. Here's a link to the 2012 dragon flower coin she is selling. She also has the other dragon shapes if I remember correctly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-china-...&ps=63&clkid=4272155340287035941#ht_500wt_922

9. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

Canada has another version of the 2012 dragon which I actually like better due to its relatively simpler design and the big Chinese word for "dragon" on the front of the coin. Here's a link:

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/15-fi...diac-coin-year-of-the-dragon-2012-prod1140002

10. comeaux

Mrslick that is a good tip for Aussie buyers as Naomi is a great ebay source for them.

I did as you and ordered 2012 dragons with Xu Hong as well as the new panda commemorative and a few of the Chinese coin books, he had those books at an unbelievable price !

I think he still has some books too if you want to get them from him

I actually prefer the Canadian blossum but hey thats what collecting is all about ... if we all liked the same thing it would be boring :D

It is fair to say the Canadian Dragons are not a bad deal with very low mintage, decent design and proof coin for fair price.

11. mrslick32

mrslick32 New Member

I think the Canadian blossom is also attractive especially due to the unique shape. Personally, I prefer the simpler design of the other version but it does not mean that I don't think the design of the blossom dragon is not attractive. Like you also said, differences in preferences makes collecting more interesting. In addition, it makes the coins we want more available. :)

12. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

Step right up and get your very own 2012 10 kg gold Dragon. It was on display in Beijing: mintage of 18.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Peter Anthony

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

13. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

WoW . The golds worth $500,000 itself.
    What does the coin cost ?

14. comeaux

I say group buy !!! :D

Thanks Peter !

15. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

I don't think the sales person spoke English because I asked if there is a quantity discount and she didn't say a word.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com

16. Lightsview

Lightsview Member

17. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

these are PRICEY. still tempted from what I've heard re their potential, but still.. $249 for the 1oz flower dragon?
    what say ye, Chinese numismatists?

EDIT: Couldn't wait. 2xFlower Dragons and 2xRoundProofs on their way :eek:

18. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yes you can :)

Referring to Xu Hong

19. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Damn... How much for the 5 kilo and 12 kilo silver coins???? Way out of my league I know :)
    2 coin flower set... Will think about that one, at least it's within my reach

20. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

Another thing: would it be worthwhile getting either of the China Luna Dragons slabbed by NGC? I'm just thinking that these are gonna be hot items to counterfeit..