2010 20cent coin

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by beachcombermike, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

This coin was also released as a PNC and as a Rolled Coin and mentioned in the post back last year:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-2319-2010-20c-centenary-of-australian-tax-office-coin.html

with the following:

If you keep your eyes out you may know of these new releases way in advance...
    5 Million Coins will be released into circulation....keep your eyes peeled for one...

This Press Release is from the Treasurer's Department back on 3rd February, 2010.

New Coin to Mark Centenary Of Australian Tax Office

The Royal Australian Mint will produce a circulating commemorative 20 cent coin to mark the Centenary of the Australian Taxation Office in 2010, the Assistant Treasurer, Senator Nick Sherry, announced today.

The Tax Office has launched its Centenary celebrations by outlining the course of special events across the year ahead, culminating in the ATO's 100th birthday on 11 November and celebrations on 12 November.

"The Tax Office's establishment in 1910 within Treasury as the Land Tax Office marked a significant development in the fledgling Federation," the Assistant Treasurer said.

"The Office was created by Prime Minister Andrew Fisher's reformist Labor government as a way of funding its important social policies such as the aged and invalid pensions."

"Of course, 11 November has since become Remembrance Day, and in deference to the fallen and to war veterans, the Tax Office will mark its 100th birthday on the following day, 12 November."

"The Mint and Tax Office both fall within my portfolio responsibilities as Assistant Treasurer and it's great to see the two agencies involved together in an event of national significance such as this."

About five million 20 cent pieces will be minted and released in the second half of the year.
    On the coin will appear the phrase "Working for all Australians", with the remainder of the final design to be developed in consultation with Mint designers and the Tax Office.

CANBERRA
    3 February 2010

2. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Not a bad looking coin these. I bought a RAM roll, PNC and have been collecting from change. I reckon this one will be something to look at in future and laugh at the wording ... made me chuckle.

3. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

There are a couple of 2011 20c coins to watch out for...

2011 20c Royal Wedding Coin (Also rolled) - Released
    2011 20c Ashes Coin - Released
    2011 20c Cu/Ni Circulating Coin (Also rolled) International Women's Day
    2011 20c Cu/Ni Circulating Coin (Also rolled) International Year of Volunteers (IYV) 10th Anniversary

4. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Got a stack of these 20c ATO coins.

I feel that if I say ATO enough they will be summoned.

Kinda like that Beetlejuice guy :/

5. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Mr Medved?

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

it really should have been the 50c coin to be more accurate to the amount of tax they really take :rolleyes:

7. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

actually the design looks like someone has taken a piss on it

8. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

The centenary is in relation to the formation of a department within the Treasury to manage tax collections for the Land Tax Act 1910. The ATO claims that this is one and the same but it is not. It is a lie.

Further reading on that the ATO is not a legal entity:
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2000/44.html
    http://www.clrg.info/2011/03/court-win-against-the-australian-tax-office-ato-over-alleged-debt/
    http://www.clrg.info/2010/08/australian-tax-office-not-a-legal-entity/

IIRC the linked PDF will have details about the ATO never actually properly gazetted. The ATO have no evidence that the ATO was legally formed. There are probably other resources I've come across but can't be fecked looking for them at the moment.