1 Oz Silver Horse

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Shamatti, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

Why are these coins so expensive? I was just looking at they are $10 more than all the other Perth Mint 1 Oz coins. The half Oz and 2 Oz coins seem well priced. So why so much extra premium on the 1 Oz?

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

because the 1 oz has a mintage limit

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big demand for 1oz lunar and have always sold out so good business sense to up the price. Extra $3m for the PM ;)

4. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

Ah!

Mintage Limit!!!

I just checked it. 300,000 That would explain it! Oddly - there is only $4 profit per coin for me to take these to the UK. I can make $19 per coin on the 5 Oz version.

Nothing makes any sense to me any more! o_O

lol

5. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

In the US, these horses are about +$25 over spot. Is this the usual premium for the bullion 1oz silver? Or were previous years cheaper?

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I think the horses were running about $15-18 over spot here when they came out. I don't see any dealers priced at $25 over spot. Apmex is more than $20 over spot, but they show low inventory and Apmex has low inventory, they always raise the price. Prior to dragon mania, lunars were the best deal around. Horses are popular and are priced higher than all other lunars except the dragon. Snakes were much more reasonable. The next 5 animals are not as popular and the premiums should be closer to snake premiums.

7. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Both the apmex and provident metals have the horse at +$24 over spot (1pcs). Anywhere else is either out of stock, or around the same price.

What were the launch premiums of the other animimals excluding horse and dragon? About $10 over spot?

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Prices now are not the same as prices months ago.

Yes, the others were available for less than $10 over spot in the US. I wasn't following for the initial Mouse and the OX releases. The tigers, rabbits, snakes and mouse restrikes were all available for as little as $4-6 over spot. We will find out in September what the new normal is for lunars.

9. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Their is a coin dealer that I know, and he can give me 2 rolls of the horses @ $40-$41 per coin. is that a good deal?

10. jcz1

jcz1 Member

11. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

in January horses at apmex were priced at $50-55

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Apmex pricing is all over the place and depends upon how many they are showing in stock. I don't recall seeing the horses at anywhere near $50, but I didn't buy any or check them daily. If Apmex only showed 10 or less in stock, it is highly possible that they spiked the price. When they "restock" the next day, the prices drops again.

Apmex does finally appear to be out of 1oz gold lunar horses.

13. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I think this years horse is better than any other lunar coin yet', including Dragons and snakes. My 1 oz cost from 26 something to 38 all bought on SS from members. 26 Was the single special from GS at spot on release day. Amazing what that did for the average cost of the rest.(Thanks GP)

14. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yepper, I got a 100 right out of the gate. Thankful I didn't listen to the naysayers saying I was crazy for buying at 34.50. #thankful

15. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I don't recall anyone say you were crazy. But the horses have sold for less since you bought and will do so again. The recent SS member sales were lower than $34.50. The dealer market is not the only market. And if silver drops more or stays down for longer, some of the previous buyers will sell back to the dealers. The reasons will be need for cash, getting out of silver, etc., etc. It is human nature.

I think the opportunity to get horses cheaper is coming. But I have no plans to buy any horses, so it is more of a learning exercise for me.

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yo, yo dcc...how are you my friend. Hope you are enjoying the beautiful days among us. Yeah, I keep watching prices too...here in the U.S., and quite frankly, I just don't see them coming anywhere near the 34.00 mark...here, anyway. All the big dealers are selling them for big bucks. Mine are on hold for the long-term anyway. :)

17. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Hi barsenault. Weather has been very up and down this year. Initial dealer horse premiums were twice as high as snake premiums and as the dealers start running out of supply, their prices will remain high. But eventually, some of the previous buyers will resell to the dealers. If silver prices remain low, I expect the resell lunar horse prices to be cheaper than the original sales. Happened with the dragons and should happen with the horses. Like I said, it is human nature. Right or wrong, I will learn from what happens.

Anyone who is looking to US dealers for pricing on lunar horses is looking for love in all the wrong places. :)

18. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

When hummin' round in the thinking to buy 1/2 oz 1 oz 2 oz 5 oz 10 oz I came across their pricing today at a dealer.
    - A privy 1oz lunar horse costs 23,67 euro.
    - A colored 1oz lunar horse costs 23,79 euro.
    - A 'regular' 1oz lunar horse costs 33,29 euro.
    I've read the explanation low mintage here in this topic.
    But I've a question left: is the privy version, except for the privy mark ofc, the exact same as the regular version?

19. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

20. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I must say that I find this crazy, the colored horse looks 10 times nicer than the regular one yet the regular one costs 40% more.
    Even the difference color - privy appear as small to me, it's 0.5%, so the same price yet one is colored.
    Screw the organized limitations then, gonna dig the weight series idea, and chose for kilo horses and some of those colored horses. Don't have any colored silver coin so far, and generally I like silver more like it is, no gimmicks, but in this case, only the horses are colored, the price I consider good for what they are, so that's a go.