1/2 ounce silver coins - worth getting?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Nugget, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I note that there are some 1/2 ounce silver coins around now. Buffolo's, Koala's and Scottsdale are reputable brands so it's not like you'd be buying something obscure.

Sure, they're at a higher premium but let's face it. As you go down in size the premium increases and 1/2 ounce silver is the new "small" size.

SO I'm looking for opinions as to wether this is worth stacking. OK it's not the sweet spot but I do think it fills a niche, if not now then in the future......

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

nope

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so - not until we see $100 silver in today's currency. Plenty of low margin fractional silver available like 1966 50c that are widely stacked.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would rather stack 1966 50 cents. I think that the only 1/2 oz I will be getting will be a single dragon for the collection.

For small coins I would go for pre dec anyway, less premiums. Not sure who the 1/2 oz are aimed at, not for the person on a budget as they are not great value for money.

5. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

If silver goes to the moon or even any significant price rise 1/2 ounces would be worth getting because people are always going look for entry points.
    It would be the same as people buying 1 ounces now if the price of silver doubles.

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't think they are worth it. Better to save the money and get the larger sizes imo.
    That said, i've taken a gamble and bought a few of the coloured 1/2 oz dragons for the daughter to keep. I don't know if they will do well or not but we'll see. As with oz, i like them but don't want too many.

7. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1/2 oz coins come into the numis side of things.

The last( & only in a long time) 2010 1/2oz Silver Tiger sold on ebay 29th Dec for US$56.75

Saw some on SS a while ago but could not find the post.

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Absolutely yes - great long term investment if you can purchase around spot.

9. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

1/2oz buffalo and Scottsdale rounds are really cheap, I think they're a great investment.

I got some when they were actually cheaper than their 1oz equivalent on bullionbourse :)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

1/2 ounce Dragons are most definitely worth getting. I'm frothi

11. Guest

Guest Guest

ng to get my mittens on a few.

12. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

I think if you canget 2 1/2 ozt coins/rounds for the same price as 1 1ozt coin/round you may aswell go with the 2 1/2's when it comes to selling you'll gain (albeit little) profit on the premium you put on.

Yes it is possible to find dealers who charge the same price including premium for 1/2's as 1's

13. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+10 to 1/2 oz silver
    Know a bloke who brought 300 x 1/20 oz Au coins years ago when gold was around $500/oz
    Everyone thought he was nuts!!
    Same principle today
    Who would have seriously brought a 1 gram bar in 2005 fck nobody,today--just look at the Valcombi group buy-Says it all IMHO

14. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Yes , Yes YeS! My favourite... we need more.. best investment.. there is a void in the market.. namely fractional silver 999 fine.

I want!!!

15. goldpelican

Why half ounce though - 1/2oz gold coins aren't that popular, if you can afford 1, better off buying some 1/10 or 1/4, if you can afford 2, better off buying just an ounce - why not target 1/10oz or 1/4oz silver coins?

Quarters would still be a good size coin/round due to the SG of silver being only 10.5, so almost double the volume of a gold 1/4oz, which are a decent size in the Lunar coins.

Something to investigate Monday :)

16. Guest

Guest Guest

The Lunars are a sweet size. They make an impressive fractional coin. Much better than the scotsdale half..it looks like a game token

17. goldpelican

The wholesale premiums on 1/2oz silver Lunars are nasty though - they are *high*.

18. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I just like the variety.. i want all sizes of silver bullion, id love 1/4 oz and 1/10 also.. if i can get them for low premiums id be really interested.. i figure per unit they stand to appreciate more.. the mere fact you get more for your money in terms of units per spend is a big bonus...

The 1 oz is too big to be used in day to day, we know about the cartwheel crown being pulled becuase public concensus was it was to big to be a practical median of exchange.. id say it would be half ounce and less for silver 1/5, 1/10 & 1/20 and 1/10, 1/20 gold (Actual metal content) if i were to design Australia's new monetary system .. Im thinking 50% as we would need to make up some bulk given how $$$ the precious metals are ... alloyed with nickel.

1/20 oz silver = *$2.50
    1/10 oz silvergold *$5
    1/5oz silver = *$10
    1/2 oz silver = *$25
    1/20 oz gold = *$125
    1/10 oz gold = *$250

*prices would not be on the coins, just the weight and purity of the metal and are they only to give an indicitive pricing guideline similar to today.

1for1

19. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I'd say they'd be worth getting but only if the premium is the same or almost the same as 1 oz. However that's rarely the case and the premiums on 1/4 and 1/10 are even more ridiculous. In my opinion if you want to deversify your stack just get rolls of junk silver. Predec Australian, and junk Canadian and US are internationally recognized highly tradable, come in a wide range of sizes and have almost zero premium. A lot of people look down on them now but if / when silver breaks 100 dollars an oz. I see them as a highly popular way for people to stack.
    Personally I love junk silver just got 1 canadian and 2 US 50 cent pieces yesterday and some new tubes to fill ;).

20. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Half oz 2008 lunar mouse sold on ebay today for $90!! Are these ultra rare or something?? There were 5 different bidders over $70 so there were quite a few people after it.