2015 Mexico 2-Coin Silver Libertad Proof/Reverse Proof Set

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If any new coin is more than 10x spot then they should include a 5 year guarantee to swap or refund if it gets milk spots.

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Make it a lifetime guarantee :p

5. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I suppose they are attempting to claim that not more than 30 sets were graded at 70...which may have been true at the time of their writing but not any more.....

Also, the eBay listing uses the exact same slab picture as APMEX does for their item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

If this Apmex-orchestrated feeding frenzy and brazen price gouging (which can be euphemistically excused as "market action determining prices") aren't enough to alienate prospective buyers and to turn them away from collecting Libertads, I don't know what else could. The growing numbers of sets with specific grades speaks volumes about "Apmex honesty and Apmex ethics", which have become contradictions in terms. Their game is obviously "what we say may be true when we say it but things will be changed to create a different truth in a few days"... If nothing else, their avarice is certainly noteworthy. Welcome to The Wonderful World Of Apmex Hi-Jinks!

8. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

Seems like you are right...

Seeing the graded versions now, why are they being labeled as PL...instead of Reverse Proof ?

Apmex describes them as the first reverse proof , but still the PL designation when graded ...when the proof like kilo libertads get the same PL grading ?

http://www.apmex.com/product/78542/2013-mexico-1-kilo-silver-libertad-pl-70-ngc

I am not seeing where NGC considers these reverse proof , or if PCGS will either ?

Banco de Mexico doesn't mention reverse proof either...

[​IMG]

9. db23

db23 Member

Mexico calls their coins proof like instead of reverse proof (As it is referred to by APMEX), but it's the same thing. Tomato tomato....

10. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

Apmex doesn't describe/promote their PL kilo libertads as being Reverse proof, why did they do it with this 1 oz smaller version ?

At least the Mexican mint stayed consistent in how they describe this type of strike, Apmex switched up the description to insinuate this was a new reverse proof strike...when it really was the same as the PL kilos.

This was Apmex's own description...

" Features the first-ever Reverse Proof Silver Libertad "

They didn't mention first 1 oz reverse proof silver libertad, they said first ever...period....when the kilos are the same coin...just larger.....pretty deceptive .

11. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

If that is just a bullion coin & not a genuine reverse proof in other words a specially prepared highly polished blank struck at least 3 or 4 times in a specially prepared die, it is outrageous that Apmex is taking the p--s like this.

12. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The way I understand the nomenclature, technically, a reverse proof should have fields that are frosted (or matte) and devices (raised areas) that are polished....which is the opposite of what has typically been considered a proof finish (fields polished, devices frosted or matte).

The collector version of the kilo Libertad is basically a very large reverse proof coin. As db23 noted, the Banco de Mexico is who has initially decided to label their reverse proof kilo Libertad a "Proof-Like" Libertad....bucking convention.

The 2015 1 oz reverse proof Lib is NOT the first reverse proof Lib...the first year "Proof-Like" kilo Lib (2002) is....so APMEX has it wrong.

The lowest mintage reverse proof Libertad is the 2013 and 2014 "PL" kilo Libertads with only 400 made in those 2 respective years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertad_(coin)

Incidentally, it looks like on eBay and some other dealers websites, prices on many of the "PL" kilo Libertads has been inching up lately.

13. Luker

Luker Member

I thought that at the end of the day the 2014 1 kilo Silver proof-like Libertad had a mintage of 500...
    Strange that one cannot easily find the mintage numbers on the Bank of Mexico's website.
    Additionally Don Baily and Son doesn't list the mintage either.
    http://donbailey-mexico.com/libertad_mintages.shtml

I see where Wikipedia has it as 400, but Numista lists it as 500, as does Munzdachs/Muenzdachs .

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces57017.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Libertad-1-...f545d57&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=231376455811

Cheers,
    Luker

14. Cgsiluk

Cgsiluk New Member

Apmex came out with this deal with mexico...the first reverse proof. I bet you mexico will release their own reverse proof when theirs come(proof) out soon. I think they just gave apmex a couple month head start. Then the value will fall from 1300 in grade 70. Which all will grade 69 or 70. I bet at the end there reverse proof will be close to their Reg. Proof. We will see soon.

15. chrislehr

chrislehr New Member

Holy cow, I freaked out that you had the same CoA as me. Then I saw you used the picture from the auction I won. LOL

16. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

What makes you think this will be the case? The information I've seen is that there were 1,500 reverse proofs made. 500 went to Apmex and the other 1,000 went into 3-coin 1oz gift sets (1 each of 1oz BU, proof and reverse proof) that were given to Mexican Mint employees. Is what you said just guesswork or do you have some solid information that causes you to say what you said?

17. chrislehr

chrislehr New Member

Those 3 coin sets have shown up ebay twice so far. FYI.

18. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

This is the case. They may be a few other 3 coin sets that get out if the mint employees don't buy/receive them all.