Batter up!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silversmith, Mar 27, 2014.

1. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

Hopefully they don't get spots later on in time...

2. silversmith

silversmith New Member

Nice haul, funman. I passed on the gold. I thought the $$ was too high relative to spot. I plan on keeping one silver proof and one clad unc. Not sure when I'll try to dump the others.

3. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

It looks like the price of spot has nothing to do with this coin, the last 5 gold coins that sold ( Actually sold, not asking price ) on Ebay were for...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

1. 659.99 Proof
    2. 599.99 Unc
    3. 520.00 Unc
    4. 545.00 Unc
    5. 620.95 Proof

As you keep going down the sold list, not one was less than 515...with more in the over 600's as well.

I bought the Proof gold , as well as the Proof silver versions....just one of each to keep ...not to flip.

Glad I got in early, this is what you see on the gold versions now on the mint site...

Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Proof $5 Gold Coin. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available because of an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis.

4. funman1

funman1 New Member

Anyone get theirs yet? Mine just FINALLY shipped... delay after delay, keept getting emails we will ship this day, nope never mind, we will ship this day, nope nevermind.......

ARGHHHHH. Well they actually DID ship them so now I just have to wait for them to get here!!!! LOL

Anyone else have them in hand yet?

5. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

Anyone know if these are available in Australia?

6. funman1

funman1 New Member

I think the US mint ships worldwide?

7. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Well, they've been sold out for awhile now. The sales have been the fastest in mint history. I jumped on the bandwagaon and got 1 gold, 40 dollars (25 proof/15 UNC) and 4 clad...stoked. .900 and all. :) stupid me didn't listen to me gut, but instead listened to the silly voices here. LOL. Had 5 gold in the cart...oh well, next time I listen to my gut. :). There is a waiting list for the dollars. Good luck.

8. funman1

funman1 New Member

Yep Golds were sold out the next day...
    Yes the wait is long for silvers, but they are not sold out yet....

So do you have your order yet?

9. barsenault

Hey fun man, not yet...here's to hoping...shows a June ship date. Yikes. I don't mind though, gives me time to save. LOL.

10. HAC888

HAC888 Member

The Silver coins are no longer available. However, ......see below from USmint.

Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Proof Silver Dollar. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available because of an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.

11. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

How did 50k gold coins sell out in a day??

12. funman1

funman1 New Member

Baseball is "America's Favorite Pastime"
    I don't think ANY other sport here in the USA would have sold like this.

This would be like having a very unique soccer ball coin in Europe :)

13. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Personally i don't care for the baseball coins even if they all sold in 1 second. To pay ridiculous prices for 90% gold is insane.
    Flip them quick to get your money.

14. barsenault

I only have one, so it won't break the bank to hold over the long-term...I'll see how it goes. The silver on the other hand...those I will flip. :)

15. funman1

funman1 New Member

Yes all of us have different preferences,
    but WAY more people LOVE this coin, than people who share your feelings on it do,
    which is why it's so popular and sold so fast...

To each their own...
    But there is EASY money to be made on these with their extremely high demand.
    So even if you didn't want or like them, you could have bought them just to flip them and make some quick easy cash...

16. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Funman, I rather buy the new series from Perth for about $150 or so ( The Zeus series ),( 1,500 pieces each coin ) And flip them.
    Why spend ( for the gold one ) Over $400.00 ( for 90% gold ), And flip for outrageous prices.
    some of the people that bought the baseball coins don't even know about coins, Whether they are gold or silver (lol).
    They just bought them because it's baseball with the coins being "bumpy". A very high premium for $5 90% gold.
    If the coins would have been .9999 I would have bought several.. Each is own...

17. barsenault

you're funny Joe. You mention 'bumpy' as though it's nothing of note? Just like we could say, 'antiquish bumpy' on a Zeus coin, really? But that is the first for the U.S mint, and the first for the PM. I think that gives it a unique advantage. Granted, I don't disagree with your $5...90% gold, etc...argument. However, who would pay 1 million dollar for a penny? A dime? A Nickel? Yet it happens. It's the uniqueness, and yes the demand vs. supply that determines a price tag of a million dollar penny. I think the that gold baseball is very unique. Not because it has .999 gold, but because it is unique, and really not a 'ton' of them made (per the typical coin from the U.S. mint with the a gazillion minted)...you'll always have new baseball players getting intro'd to the world of coins...and so these will eventually get into stronger, and stronger hands...and the price will rise, IMHO...time shall tell. I don like the Zeus coin, just not paying $300.00 for 2 oz of silver...um, no way.

18. JoeFromNorthCarolina

That's what makes things interesting. If we all liked the same things, Life would be boring... Anyway, Good luck to all who bought. Once again, It's a good time to flip them. Don't be greedy folks. These will calm down and price drops after awhile after the hoopla is over. imo anyway.

19. barsenault

20. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The Zeus coin is one of the ugliest coins that has ever come to market. Someone would have to be seriously desperate to buy that piece of trash. Looks like a kindergardener drew the poor design. But it goes to show that even a piece of trash which has a horribly unappealing design can get attention if hyped enough.

On the other hand, the baseball coin is extremely appealing and lots, and lots, and lots of time and energy went into creating, selecting, and producing the design. I paid for 1 silver and 1 clad baseball coin and I may not even get them because they are back ordered. The point is, I really don't gain anything by saying that the baseball coin is universes better and above the crap Zeus coin design. Like why even bother getting an ugly Zeus if you are paying more than $25 an ounce for it unless you believe you can turn around to make a quick buck on the next sucker?

Finally, I find it absurd that some forum members decry silver or gold coins that are not .999 pure while they themselves buy silver and gold coins that are not .99999 silver or gold. Just stupidity on their part in my opinion.