HOW TO INVEST USD 13,000 IN SILVER

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dr, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Dr

Dr New Member

My brother just got $13,000 fiat to spare. Supposing silver is a good investment at these prices and future deflation won't bring again $5/oz, it would be very appreciated your advise. What do you suggest? Buy now or wait until $17/oz? I already thought to buy now the following:

5 units 1-kilo Kookaburras ($3,732, tax included)
    5 units 1-kilo Arch Noah (beautiful coin) ($3,770, tax included)
    1 unit 5-kg Umicore bar ($3,657, tax included)
    4 units 10 oz Koalas ($948, tax included)
    4 units 10 oz Kookaburras ($948, tax included)

Total purchase of 15kg x 32.15 oz/kg + 8 x 10 oz = 562 oz of pure silver.

Another choice is to buy a monster box of Maples ($11,872, tax included) + 5 units 10 oz Kookaburras, but in this way I get 12 oz less for the same fiat (just 550 oz).

I'm open for your comments and suggestions. Your expertise and advise will be very worthy.

Thanks in advance.

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you, or your brother, lives in the USA then buy American/Canadian coins.

When the time comes to sell, and assuming a financial correction, they will be easier to sell to the local populous.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

In the US, I would stick to a monster box of ASEs and a stack of 10oz bars with the change.

ASEs will ALWAYS have ready buyers in the US, and when demand gets crazy, their premiums get crazy.

4. Dr

Dr New Member

Thanks boston, but we don't care about local populous, since silver is silver all around the world. In a financial correction we will sell, but nor for fiat.

5. goldpelican

Trust me - if your exit strategy is to swap silver for assets during a financial correction, buy the local product. It will have the most market awareness. 1000 people will recognise an ASE for every person that recognises a 10oz Koala.

6. Dr

Dr New Member

Thanks GP and BB, I think we can get horse lunars. We will check the premiums. Actually, I'm horse in the Chinese horoscope. In September is the release, right?

7. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

buy US 90 junk ... if you are waiting for financial correction, meltdown, etc,etc - these will appreciate or depreciate with the same pace.
    want to play some semi-numiZ with premiums - buy Perth Mint coins, like koalas, kookas, lunars (wait a bit, and we have horse coming in a month)

8. Dr

Dr New Member

goldpelican, thanks for your advise. I don't like to have third party counter risk and limit investments just to one country (local). That's why we like to buy from different countries, and put eggs in different baskets. For me is not a problem to swap silver for land in Queensland in 20 years. I will be more than happy.

9. goldpelican

Are you in Miami Beach, QLD, or Miami Beach, FL?

10. Dr

Dr New Member

I like to stay in FL some months per year. But I also know Queensland, I was living in Melbourne some years ago. BTW, I love Perth coins, I like to play with them every day...

11. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

This was *exactly* what I was going to post, Boston has hit it 100% on the nose.

You buy whatever it is your local market will recognise and buy without hesitation - here in Aus, Perth Mint, for USA, I would stick to Eagles and other well known, reputable items (which I am not sure what they are - that in itself is a bit of proof in the advice Boston has given you right there!) :)

12. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a quick comment, you mention "tax included" and I take it that is a state tax rather than a federal tax? If so would it be worth buying the silver in a different location without tax or atleast with less tax. Just a thought.

13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Agreed w/ the thoughts above about going w/ the "local products" being a good idea. Another thought... The items you listed are mostly larger pieces (8ea=10oz, 10ea=kilo;
    1ea=10 kilo). If you anticipate selling, you might have better liquidity with some smaller items. The 10oz items will move OK. Kilo coins appeal to a limited market and 10
    kilo bars appeal to a very limited market, which will limit the ease and speed with which you'll be able to move those pieces. You can always sell a 10 kilo bar to a dealer, but
    I think you'd only get minimum $$ for it.

If I was in FL and about to sink $13K into PM's, I'd be considering putting 1/4 or 1/2 of it into ASEs and maybe another 1/4 into Pt, but whatever you do---happy shopping!

14. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

" HOW TO INVEST USD 13,000 IN SILVER " - walk into a coin shop put the money on the table buy some silver

15. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

About this, I would have no problem with $5/oz silver if the future deflation dropped the price of the products I wanna buy to 1/6. (I used $30/oz silver as reference since that's my average, from todays it's 1/4) :)
    What really matters isn't the $ price but the price relative to the goods you wanna buy later.

Of course, those that keep their bank deposits instead of swapping it to silver, will be much richer.

FLOWERS

BEES

SUNSHINE

HAPPY

Sorry, forgot to add if their banks survived it.

16. Dr

Dr New Member

Fully agree. If deflation eventually arrives, cash will be king and fiat in bank or under your mattress will be the best you can do, to invest after deflation. The question is, is deflation coming?

17. Dr

Dr New Member

That refers to 7% VAT in Germany, where I'm buying now. I checked APMEX prices (no taxes), and they are even more expensive than in Germany with 7% VAT. I buy with a limited company, so I get back the VAT later on to buy more silver.

18. silvercomments

silvercomments New Member

19. Dr

Dr New Member

Fat Freddy, with Pt you mean Platinum?

20. RMP

RMP New Member

Why not a monster box of RCM Bison or Antelope? I think they'd do much better than a box of Maples if you can get them for a reasonable price. I sure regret buying maples in 2011 instead of wolves for just $1 more each.