Newcrest Mining (NCM)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by SilverSanchez, Mar 8, 2012.

1. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Time for me to hop in.....
    I like Newcrest...I bought @27 and sold @33.....bought silver with the money and dumped the lot (80kg's) @$32 ............that by the way saved me about $25,000
    I am waiting for Newcrest to reach its bottom and I am hoping that the road to $1150 gold will be reasonably fast as this will translate into a parabolic decline in Newcrest ( if you look at the chart ). This is a good thing. The parabolic sell off, like a parabolic blow off is the end of the run....
    If I could pick up Newcrest close to the $10 mark I would be extremely happy.
    I am waiting patiently....

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Righto, seen the the thumbs up
    I called a bullshitter using his own words who has low key trolled me here for a while (I'm a herd follower) How cruel.
    No interaction or support for a few top stocks I showed here in real time while buying myself (MTU, CDA, CWP). Few duds like IMD, nothing too bad yet. Pointed to Flight centre (FLT)
    Opined in so many words that Kingsgate + Newcrest results and chart were shit
    So you can get f*ked. More enemies than friends, Good luck with the fking quality of discourse here on shares. Fk you and Gbye
    Hey mynamesnotphlegm - how'd Gindalbie metals do for ya? Warned you on that one too fkg ingrate

3. shano73

shano73 Member

To both Finicky & SS,

Both of you just need to stop goating each other, I'm sure lots of ppl on this forum value both of your opinions and input.

But this is an open forum and there are lots of ppl on here with different personalities and characteristics.......there is no need to personally attk someone thoughts.....be objective yes, and if that person's information is incorrect then back it up with proper references/data. Too many ppl on this forum lately have been quick to personally attk a person posts or input and that is why I don't use this forum much anymore...... I use other stock/share forums.

Take a step back and don't take things personally, especially if you are proven wrong. Be the better man and learn from other ppl's input.

This is just my thoughts/opinon. You can tell me to go to hell for all I care, but I wont take it personally cause I don't know you both and these are just pixels on a screen.

Now back to the original post, which is about the company NCM - Newcrest Mining........

4. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

I wish i had more mouths to eat popcorn with

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I picked up 4,000 on 28 April 1999 :cool: :D

6. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Some people are feeling really negative and thats ok.

I bought into KCN @ just under $6 - through accumulating on the downside and selling the 'extra' on the upside - my KCN holding is down about 60% at the moment.

But somepeople have obvisouly lost a lot of money.

I bought NCM @ just under $30 - through the same process im currently about 45% down on Newcrest
    I still believe they will both come back.

Some people for some reason get really angry at me for saying that. I really dont know why

7. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

My personal opinion on NCM is that they are a perennially disappointing stock and have no support for shareholders at the moment due to the massive decline in gold price. Like all miners they are price takers this will really affect their price in current market conditions. That being said (dont quote me on this) I believe last time the gold price was around what it is now the price of this stock was mid $20's I think, their cost of production was higher and their dividend was lower so there is certainly upside and at current levels the stock does seem cheap. I am watching this I think it will go lower and if it does get to between 10-12 it is very cheap and will gt some of my money.

I do think there are better gold stocks and will probably top up on SLR and RRL before NCM though.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like your charts - so hang in there buddy.
    I know T/A is a fantastic tool, but, for some reason, there is a real stigma about it here, and a lot will not allow themselves to be enlightened?
    If I cracked the shits every time I was sledged on here, I'd be drowning in excrement. :)
    I give as good as I get - and I don't take it personally.
    Take profits, don't take offence. :)

9. glam

glam Member

I appreciate the comments both from SS and Finicky. It does not really matter if you were correct in your prediction or not, because you are just giving your opinion at that point in time and in this market, no one's opinion is worth jack. The market does what it does.

To be honest, I don't agree with either of you most of the time, I have my own opinion. But I try and keep an open mind and appreciate others sharing theirs. Maybe if I was more confident in my own opinion, I would share it more often.

Generally i'm pretty conservative with my investments in the current market, and keep a large % of cash, or available cash in an offset account of my mortgage. To my mind the stock market is broken............ and it now appears the PM market is also broken. I seem to have backed the wrong horse (so far) like most on this forum.

I will continue to watch and dip my toe here and there, but I will not pile in for exactly the reasons above, I think the markets are largely broken and are not a true reflection of fundamentals like they should be.

I dip only in the expectation that the market will return to it's senses, but I am not convinced that it will any time soon.

Having said all that, I still think NCM is a bit of a dog.......... but starting to become more attractive.

10. Nukz

Nukz New Member

This price for NCM is looking amazing but if we go into another GFC anytime soon who knows this company may even go under.

11. tolly_67

Yes there will be a bigger GFC but the response will be a lot different than what is to be expected. This NCM is looking hotter by the week. The euro and the Yen are in enormous trouble and eventually the flow of money will make its way to precious metals once the u.s. dollar peaks in a few years. I would think that the chinese would find NCM very attractive since it has assets outside Australia which fall outside our industrial guidelines/safeguards. If gold hits the 1150 mark, it would be a very good investment.

12. Holdfast

You won't need another GFC mate.

If the price of gold stays low for long enough, you'll see precious metal miners bankrupt. :|

It's a deadly game buying into mining stocks, but if you do, you better make sure they are producing metal very, very cheaply and have the funds to continue operations.

Imo, a bloke is much better off buying physical metal because if TPTB take metal lower, there will be mass exodus from the mining industry.
    Then...shortage of precious metal...then price spikes in physical metal.

Trying to pick, which miners will survive is a task that new investors should stay away from and...even for the die hard older guru's you better move in and out of the market quickly or risk the chance of getting smashed.

For the new guys...becareful if the company you have invested in is having financial problems or they start to raise funds from their investors..."You".

Lets hope there is a bottom soon, but if there's not you better have your shite in one sock.

H

13. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+100

14. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Well time to dip my toes in I think.

15. tolly_67

oooops....more bad news today on NCM....waiting patiently...

16. Holdfast

A court has quashed an exploration licence on the border of Newcrest's giant Cadia goldmine in central NSW.

The licence application was made during the stewardship of disgraced mining minister Ian Macdonald in 2008 and the renewal granted in 2011

The decision represents a blow to Newcrest, Australia's biggest goldminer.

Justice Pain found in favour of Gold and Copper Resources, a small exploration company run by Brian Locke, and quashed the Mining Minister's decision to renew Newcrest's exploration licence 3856.

The licence encompasses about 70 per cent of Newcrest's wholly owned exploration area in NSW and surrounds its Cadia Valley mining leases. Cadia is the biggest underground mine in Australia and contains about $200 billion in gold.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/newcrest-hit-by-nsw-exploration-licence-ruling-20130522-2k1a1.html

17. Holdfast

Newcrest Update - 06 June 2013

Australia's biggest goldminer, Newcrest Mining, has plunged to a fresh eight-year low.

*Yesterday's 5 per cent share price drop means Newcrest's market value is now $11bn and the company has lost its position as the nation's third-biggest miner after BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto to iron-ore miner Fortescue Metals Group.

*Yesterday, the shares closed down 80c at $14.35

*The trigger for yesterday's rout was a "sell" recommendation placed on Newcrest by UBS, which slashed its target price from $18 to $12 and wiped $275 million from its 2013-14 earnings forecast, which is now $596m.

*The rest of the Newcrest fall reflects both a series of big production downgrades and operational problems at the miner, along with investors wanting exposure to gold by showing a preference for the real thing, rather than mining shares.

*The production downgrades are related to the company's Lihir Island mine.

More info:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...ng-a-20bn-shiner/story-e6frg9df-1226658125978

18. Holdfast

Newcrest Update - 07 June 2013

*Investors continued to pile out of Newcrest Mining yesterday, as two major broker downgrades and concerns about management.

*Analysts at Citi and Credit Suisse both downgraded their recommendations on the nation's only big gold miner to sell.

*This followed the same move from UBS (See post above)

*50-50 chance Telfer mine in Western Australia, would close in five years.

*Shares in Newcrest, the worst-performing stock on the ASX100 this year.

*Slumped 99c, or 7%, to a fresh eight-year low of $13.36; this came on top of a 5% drop on Wednesday.

*One investor questioned why the firm had not been issued with a speeding ticket by the Australian Securities Exchange given the share price fall and broker downgrades when there had been no announcement from the firm.

*The ASX said it was monitoring the situation.

Read more here:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-call-for-change/story-e6frg9df-1226658970364

I'm amazed that Newcrest hasn't been placed in a trading halt so that management can comment!

H

Edit - Added chart and ASX link.

[​IMG]

ASX - NCM
    http://www.asx.com.au/asx/research/companyInfo.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=NCM#chart

19. tolly_67

This wave of bad news is just natural and should be looked upon as a good lead in to a buying opportunity...if this bad news is followed by a rapid decline in gold to the $1150 mark then this would be the greatest buying opportunity in Newcrest for a long time....how low can it go.....how low can it go....under 10 bucks would be fantastic...

20. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Big dump this morning down 16% right now.