Think these are fake

Discussion in 'Silver' started by No1joey, Jan 8, 2012.

1. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

That's why I posted the link to inform..

Wrong?

[​IMG]

2. No1joey

Your welcome.

I still will buy bars, coins tend to have an issue of being over priced. To some people coins can have some additional value but I highly doubt that will come to matter when you try to off load them, who cares if there's a koala or dingo or a magical happy dragon on it. An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver to me.

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Current year 10oz dragons are not that much more expensive than 10oz bars.

Wanna bet? Try selling a 10oz dragon from 2000 at $350 and see how fast that sells compared to a 10oz bar.

Me. Among many other people.

That's nice, but don't go mistaking that a pretty piece of silver has no premium over a normal piece just because it doesn't to you.

4. No1joey

Just because there are ebayers willing to buy something doesn't give it any authenticity. If your not convinced go see some listings on now for PM bars at +10% premiums etc.

Among people, see above answer.

Mints Etc, buy back based on weight and purity, nothing more. I wouldn't base my investments on hobbyists, collectors, hoarders etc. Investing in something that isn't backed by any fundamental law isn't investing

5. No1joey

Woops

6. fishball

I never mentioned eBay, plenty of stackers will buy a 2000 10oz silver dragon from you for $350 or $450 (value > $600) if you had it whereas your 10oz bar will still be worth the same (~$315).

There's your problem there, selling to the mint instead of other people, dealers etc where you can get a better price.

As for your definition of investing, it's pretty funny. I'll leave it at that.

7. No1joey

I wasn't ridiculing you but you seemed to have gone there, not that I will.

You say it's funny, how? Please explain? There are bad investments and good ones, good ones are based on fundamental laws, eg there will always be demand for property within 10 km of a cbd etc, nothing funny about having a worse case scenario plan for your money and planning from that point on, planning from any further point along the equation is bad investing.

8. fishball

I just found your choice of words funny, if I were to ridicule you I would be much more open about it.

It's funny because there is no fundamental 'law' to investing. There is no law to silver prices, there are fundamentals such as supply demand but I'd hardly call it a law, wouldn't even call it a rule.

I am merely giving my views based on historical evidence and to refute your so-called assumptions on the point "nobody will pay premium for coins" among other things.

You cite an example of CBD property demand yet you fail to understand that there will always be people who view premium silver with limited mintage in exactly the same way as your CBD property. The equivalent of your point of view would be "it's just land, who cares. Land is land.".

Not sure what the rest of your post meant but I never plan for the worst case scenario for my money. Planning for a zombie hoard or a meteor hitting the earth is hardly practical from my point of view. I take into consideration the likelihood of said risk and the severity and make a call.

9. No1joey

There's two types of stackers I guess those do it for passion in good days etc and those that are merely looking at it as insurance for bad days. Whichever you feel is more important when parting with your cash is up to the individual

10. skipau

skipau Member Silver Stacker

I always wonder when an eBay seller sets their items as "private".. so when you view the feedback you can't see the previous items sold... when I see that .. I will have to think long and hard before I put in a bid on their item.. unless it is pr0n of course ;)

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

try go to the webpage of the manufacturer, in this case NWTM... from there you can see the quality of their products, not very thick as the fake one...
    and the packaging is totally different.

just wonder how to fit in the fake bar into the air-tite capsule, since the thickness will give the fake away. :lol:

learned by the school of hard knocks, what to do :p

it never easy to buy silver, as cheat and scams can take many forms.

12. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Alor - I'm on a super-high-intensity learning curve so hopefully will stay safe and not have any "learning experiences" that are expensive!

Is there a sticky thread anywhere here that we could see and/or list them/merge threads into as and when they show up?

Seems to me there's only more possibility as the demand spreads (which presumably we hope it will).

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

See posts in http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...unterfeit-perth-mint-2012-silver-dragons.html - I don't want links to the providers of these fakes being posted on this forum - there are thousands of members and lurkers, and I know for a fact that there are visitors to this website involved in selling 100 mills etc on eBay - no point advertising the links to the broader community on where to buy fake silver bars. Photos are fine, links to the source aren't. Thanks.

Wrong? Are you sure it's silver plated in the first place?

See http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-272620.html#p272620 - the fake Scottsdales have zero silver content.

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buy the guy's futon lounge and get his address for pickup for extra security... :p

15. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

they looks really real...

16. damien192x

damien192x New Member

Who cares if they are fake? If they are convincing enough that you believed they are real then somebody else will buy them off you at a later date. They have perceived tangible value, that's enough for it to operate as money. LOL

17. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

it's also theft.

18. fishball

Technically it's fraud.

fraud/frd/
    Noun:

1. Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
    2. A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

19. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

yea, but STOP ! THIEF!!! sounds much better STOP! FRAUD!

20. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Call it what you will,
    And try to palm it of to me
    It want be a healthy move
    Just ask the fat wog (those who know what I'm on about know )