What's your choice in silver safes??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shippeevt, Apr 3, 2015.

1. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Rotties have great looks for the job. Just keep them back from the front fence to prevent anyone from realising they really are big sooks. I'd say that most of the big breeds of dogs are.
    Healers are great dogs - top mates, faithful, and capable of being ferocious when called upon. They'll stand up to a tonne of angry bull .....
    Problem with dogs as guards - an old chap I chat to of a morning used to work at a quarry. While there an ex-crim joined the work crew. He used to rob factories. When asked how he got around the dogs he reckoned he'd spend a few weeks ahead of time making friends with the dogs, taking them meat & treats, etc. According to him, dogs weren't a problem.

2. Gollum

Gollum New Member

My beds made of timber..no hollows... ;)

Cheers, Gollum...

3. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I have my stuff in a safe...I know its not the most secure idea, mainly there to keep things safe in case of fire. Its a heavy cheap one I got off craiglist for $40. Key only. Heavy enough it would require 2 people to carry it in the first place before I loaded the bottom of it up with copper pennies and nickels. I just keep it hidden out of site, and don't mention to anyone about my stack and feel pretty secure. We have a dog as our first line of defense and given my roomates work schedules someone is always home,

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Noted!

5. Nabullion Dynamite

Its all good, the nickels and pennys are the most valuable thing in the safe :lol:

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Noted...It's said (Peter Schiff) that nickels and pennys are going to be worth 500 USD each in 2016. :D

7. Nabullion Dynamite

haha, I'll save you the trouble and sell them for $250 each! Win win!

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Except, you know, the whole internet :D

9. Nabullion Dynamite

Ha, I keep my "Stuff" in there. Who knows what stuff that is . Is it worth possibly dying over...I'm going to be honest and say not at atall.

10. SilverDJ

If your stack isn't in your safe then I'd suggest that you wasted your money on that safe.

11. Nabullion Dynamite

$40 is worth the money too keep photo albums, passports and other flamable things safe. :)

12. SilverDJ

In that case you should keep the key in it so the robbers can open it, otherwise they might think it contains valuables and destroy it and anything around it in the process.

13. Nabullion Dynamite

They would have to be dedicated robbers to find it in the first place. If they tore enough stuff up to find the safe they probably would have taken off with all my valuables already that are much less hidden. Anyways I think safes have a purpose, maybe not the best for storing PMs.

14. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

Store in DIFFERENT PLACES secretly.
    Large amounts are digged and poured in ARMOURED CONCRETE in hideaways (pain in the ass and time consuming to get even for the owner!!)
    Equivalent of few 100 S is left not too easy and not too hard to find.
    SACRIFACIAL TREASURE:
    Must give the impression as if it were all the valuables in a POOR/AVERAGE NON STACKERS physical savings, according to the housing/surroundings of course... (Fractional, many different and some worn pieces, small denomination, rings etc.)
    REMOVE INDICATORS FOR STACKING VALUABLES from the house (Books, collectors items, scales etc)
    Psychologically thinking for potential robbers, then they have reached their goal and a momentum of success, comparable to a retrieving dogs "Prey"/toy reward.
    Remember: Most of the robbers are scavenging crackheads/pettycriminals in search of the next days equivalent of booze/drugs/fuel etc. and happy to get away with few 100 S. If you are playing in the league (and still hanging around on this forum?) to attract sophisticated and well equipped pros la mission impossible better go for Zrich Paradeplatz or Fort Knox etc. :)

15. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gee this topic sure stirred up the hornets nest.

I would suggest that anyone on this forum is a target for a professional.

But putting things into perspective - if your stack is greater than say $50000 then there is a case for some consideration of how to protect your possessions. But most ordinary people have jewellry, art, rugs, cars and many other valuables that are not in a SDB and access to most houses is rudimentary. Of course there are those who like to protect their home with guns etc. But honestly is that the life you want to live - that is not for me. Money is not the source of happiness nor is it the most important thing in life - seriously we must keep these things in perspective IMHO.

16. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Perspective?
    My perspective is thus, If "they" are willing to come into your home to steal your stuff then by accident or intention they may also steal a life:(
    You get caught in my house and we are alone you may end up in prison.
    You end up in my house when the kids and/or wife are home YOU'RE DEAD!

17. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We will all be dead in due time - sooner or later.

How we live in the interim is what is important to me.

18. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking i fear my friend.
    There is far far to much disparity for us to live in harmony.
    I do not use this as an excuse, as i come from a shit family and spent time in foster care .
    Yet here i am today with a family and comfortable life.
    But i read and see almost every day the damage done by those around us and then their excuse of being brought up "hard"
    Sure it can SLOW your development and stop you from being on the road to success at 17 or 18.
    But by the time you hit 22-25 there are no excuses and life from there on out is solely WHAT WE MAKE OF IT

19. Very well said, Stirling in fact. Kudos to you this time. :)

Oh the pc brigade wowsers here, :rolleyes: too afraid to defend their own property.
    I recently horrified my childs' teacher during a meeting.
    This fool trotted out one of those new mantras, the "one punch can kill" one.
    The fact is that I have stopped quite a few punches with my face over the years and somehow survived so I would not hesitate to hand out a biff if I deemed it necessary.
    I also explained to this apparatchik that this is the reason I tell my kids to make sure they get in the first punch.
    What kind of parents do these cowards make?
    Imagine these idiots confronted by a mugger on the street.
    Dad running away shouting over his shoulder to his wife "hold em off as long as you can honey and don't worry, I'll be back with some help soon."
    Probably push his kids toward the attacker as a diversion so he can get away.

If a man is incapable of protecting his valuables and property he would also be incapable of protecting his loved ones.
    A despicable type character that should be shunned by all.

I lived a hard life as a kid and as a young adult where I had to look out for myself but if I were able to I would not change any of that.
    There have been times when people have threatened me, even attacked and injured me and I have given or taken my lumps and moved on.
    There were also a couple of occasions where people I loved and who were dependent on me were threatened and on those occasions there was no walking away, no rules, no mercy no compromise and no regrets.

The trouble is, there is no way of knowing what you are up against and just how far it is going to go so I tend to face any threat very, very, seriously and retain the ability and means to defend against these very real and present threats.

My greatest treasures though are not gold, silver or cash but my family and my dignity.

Perhaps all that makes me a dick head in the eyes of some however I would never live any other way.

20. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker