trading improvement

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by RomanControl, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'm with RC on this one re: pvt sellers should be cheaper than dealers, dealers have overheads.

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

couldnt agree more shiney, but consider this

Private sellers overheads
    -Storage in SDB
    -Contents Insurance
    -Shipping insurance - If items go missing possibility of covering half the loss
    -Time
    -Fuel

My point is there are overheads for all involved

3. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

Prices that are too high, by definition, will not sell. The seller then has to choose to either not sell or lower the price till it does sell. That is how a free market works. No one person or group of persons can decide worth. The act of trying to do so will always fail because awareness and unique individual personality determines value, actions and thus, reality.

4. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

You sound a lot like this guy

[​IMG]

5. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

So is it acceptable for a dealer in Sydney to charge more than the one in Brisbane because they have higher rent? What about a regional one compared to a metropolitan one? Is it acceptable to pay 100% mark up on a bar if I buy it in Toorak rather than St Albans? How about mark up differences between someone who employs one employee rather that 20?

I don't care about your expenses. I pay what is acceptable and if that is a dealer then great but if that is a private guy down the road then great. I don't see why someone who has a shop automatically gets to charge more than the private guy just because he has overheads.

malachii

6. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

but is it a freemarket?
    if you asked for too much on ebay , you lose money with a no sale for advertising costs
    if you ask here , it costs you nothing and maybe you'll get lucky

To my mind coins have some kind of value as they age, but bullion is more valuable fresh from the mint.And as far as the scottsdale bars not being rounds honestcoins, maybe you're right . I call anything that is coin size but not a coin a round

7. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Fleabay at the moment is free for the first 30 ridiculous adverts you want to put on there. So if you want to advertise your bar for 100% over spot then it costs nothing.

malachii

8. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

I've had my whine. Now Im going back to wade through the overpriced sales for a real one.

I might sell my car on here. I had to pay alot of premium for manufacture costs and tax and so on, so I'll be selling it at the same price the dealer sold it to me for. And bump it every hour .

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol:
    100% isn't enough for me :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220997550988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

10. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Cars have depreciation, bullion does not.

11. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Are you seriously suggesting it costs $6 to manufacture a 1 ounce round or coin?
    And we keep bouncing that cost on?
    Goodness , the mint must be going broke manufacturing 50 cent pieces

12. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20% as soon as you drive out the driveway from the car yard :rolleyes:
    I'll give you $150 a tonne for your car
    If
    It's got a full tank of juice & you have to bring it to me :D

13. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

I'll send it platinum express.
    Its a freeman car - as an anarchist im sure you'll have the gumption to drive it around melbourne without official plates

14. fishball

That doesn't even make sense. 50 cent pieces are mass produced so economies of scale allows the costs to be spread out over many many coins and since the underlying metal is cheap the cost of production + cost of underlying metal in 50 cent pieces created nowadays will be less than 50 cents. Silver coinage is not really bulk minted, even unlimited mintage silver coins will not have as high a mintage as circulated common coins.

As for silver coins/rounds, they might not cost $6 to manufacture but even Perth Mint wholesale prices are a few bucks over spot per coin. I am not a dealer but I think the wholesale price for 1oz Koalas would be around $4 over spot at current spot levels even in bulk. Dealers will pass the cost onto customers and charge $6 over spot for 1 coin/round and do slight discount on bulk. Also, silver is bought at spot, any manufacturing cost is the price on top of spot, unlike 50 cent coins.

Private sellers will match the dealer's prices if they want to sell since well guess what, they bought from the dealers. And if they're cheaper than the dealer by even $1, they're better to buy from (ignoring everything else such as privacy premiums).

For rounds from private mints overseas there is also associated shipping costs from Bolivia/USA or whereever, customs fee and so on.

Nothing in this world is as simple as it seems RomanControl and you're missing a lot of pieces of logic.

15. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

nonsense.
    Australia is an inefficient place to manufacture because theres no competition.
    If they wanted economies of scale they could stop making 73 different designs
    I could make coins one by one in my kitchen for $6 each and do very well

I dont regard the inefficiency or overcharging of the manufacturer as inherent value that is retained in the product

16. fishball

Australia is an inefficient place to manufacture in because of high wages, high AUD and government policy, not because there's no competition. There is no competition because it's inefficient to manufacture here.

Even if Perth Mint consolidated 73 designs and made it all into one and assuming sales stayed the same they wouldn't be able to reach the 50c mintage levels (eg. 2006: 59.3 million, RAM).

Anyway, feel free to make some rounds in your kitchen for spot + $6 then and let us all know how it goes.

I'm sure taking delivery of 1000oz blocks from London/whereever, making blanks for rounds, melting costs (electricity or whatever), opportunity cost, general business costs are all accounted for in your 'brilliant' plan?

Also, as long as the primary market is willing to pay for the "overcharging/inefficiencies", private sellers have every right to ask for similar prices on the secondary market.

17. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

No , I think you'll find the socalled public service has higher overheads than a private mint.
    And the cost of making 50 million coins would certainly be less than making a million.
    But it would be marginal. This doesnt account for the overcharge of manufacture.
    Without any proof but pretty reliable instincts I'd suggest the astronimcal mintage costs are because its a cartel.
    Or in other words a lack of competition.

18. RomanControl

RomanControl New Member

Forget for a seconfd that its silver. Lets imagine they're giveaway medallions you find in your cornflakes packet.
    Would they really cost $6 a piece to manufacture on top of the actual material itself?

19. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

just my 2 cents worth from a couple of years experience of stacking, but:

1. The larger the bars (as in bulk purchase of silver) the closer to spot price you can get said bars for. Case in point are the 15 kg BHAS bars (sold by Ainslie and others). However, these are still priced at least about $40 over spot per kg!
    2. The smaller the bars, the higher the premium over spot, eg 5kg bars are more expensive than 15kg bars, and 1kg bars are more than 5 kg bars, and 0.5 kg bars and smaller are sold at a much higher premium. 10 ounce generic Ainslie bars are sold for example at over 10% above spot.
    3. 1 ounce bars or rounds do have some numismatic value - because they're generally quite pleasing to the eye and they're generally minted (not cast). Also, because of the small unit of silver (1Oz) these bars/rounds tend to carry the highest premium over spot, and 10 to 20% over spot for one ounce minted units of silver is typical.

I hope this sheds some light on why people on this here forum rightly expect ABOVE SPOT for their .999+ silver.

20. fishball

Of course not but since when were we talking about non-silver and asking $6 a piece over spot because last time I checked current 50c pieces cost 50c.