Legends of Asgard: Max Relief the star of a beautiful new Odin coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

It is a series, not sure how often though

2. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

This is one of the few coins that lately really impressed me. It is finally something new, talking not only about the nice and well balanced design, but also about the stunning relief.
    The initial price is also very attractive, for a 3 Oz .999 silver coin. I feel that many dealers will raise this price as soon as they realize how hot is this coin among us collectors, so I bought a couple of pieces now.

From the mint website at the moment the official distributors are:

USA / CANADA
    Choice Bullion: www.choicebullion.com
    The Coin Shoppe: www.thecoinshoppe.ca
    First Coin Company: www.firstcoincompany.com

EUROPE
    Power Coin: www.powercoin.it

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I contacted First Coin Company (FCC) and they said that they will ship in September as well , just like Choice Bullion (CB).

Seems like FCC and CB are the two main distributors in the U.S.

Apparently, someone who's affiliated with the Odin coin has been reading the SilverStacker threads...or at least partially. Because that was my initial assumption about the uber high relief Chinese medals and the consequent question about how the Chinese medals are made (cast or struck) I'd asked in the Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions sub-section of this forum. Apparently someone didn't read the responses; the jury is no longer out, the Chinese medals are struck not cast.

Good points. There definitely seems to be a move by mints now to create higher and higher relief...which I totally welcome and will reward if the effort is substantial as in the case of the Odin coin. But yes, they still have a little catching up to do with the Chinese medals I think. Thickness of a coin should not be confused with height of relief. 5mm is very high relief. They done quite well with the relief on this coin it seems. I will compare with Chinese medals when I get my Odin.

Maybe it's a good thing they didn't do the relief of the Queen's effigy as high as the other side...do we really want to see her in such high relief !? :lol:

4. monopolize

monopolize Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Getting this msg with the discount code on the FCC website now

'Warning: Gift Voucher is either invalid or the balance has been used up!'

5. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm big fan of Vikings and Nordic mythology. Most of the people today don't know that Vikings supposedly landed in (North) America, as well as they left some of their marks in Egypts (runes on the walls). In their harsh and cold environment only first-borns inherited something, the rest were basically forced to set sail and find better opportunities elsewhere. Some of the days in the week are named after them.

In this moment I don't know the price yet (as I'm too lazy too check), but I might buy 1 or 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3O0JftA5w[/youtube]

6. mmissinglink

I was one of those "many people" who is largely ignorant about Nordic mythology and Odin. I will check out your video soon. Thanks for sharing!

7. o-to

o-to Member

Hi guys,

Current price is 179 USD. Is that issue price or has it already been raised?

Cheers

Gabriel

8. FortySeven

FortySeven Member

^^^^^^
    What many may be surprised to know is that the actor playing the exotic character of Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings is an Aussie.
    Travis Fimmel, who grew up in Echuca!

9. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

In what way? I've been looking at the Mammoth coin recently an understood that to be cast. Is it not? If the statement is incorrect I'd like to fix it.

10. Leprechaun gold

Leprechaun gold Member

Hey guys , get back to this coin, one of the best issue coins I have seen since the tiffany art series , I think this will be the one to buy and collect . Far above the other two issues that have been released .

11. monopolize

Agreed. The only potential problem I see is that it's by a new mint, and thus may not go main stream. But definitely has the potential to take off.

Very tempted to sell my PM Olympus coins and just load up on this.

12. mmissinglink

Hey monopolize,

Just so you are aware (and I don't mean to be repeating this if someone else notified you) AGAU4ODIN is the discount coupon code to use here on the FCC page: https://firstcoincompany.com/S/toke...0-antique-finish-2016-max-relief-minting-3-oz . That code needs to be entered at the shopping cart in the field "Apply Discount Code" not in the field "Use Gift Voucher".

You should have no problem then on the next step to see the discount applied.

As for the fact that it's a new mint producing this....I actually think it's a PLUS to get in on the first products of a company that, by the quality of this first coin, clearly seems to be interested in delivering quality coins. What a way to launch!

True, this new mint won't have anywhere near the broad marketing channels the perth mint does, but you'd be surprised how impactful word of mouth is on forums like the SS forum. Just look what happened to the relatively unknown Son Montuno mint's coin, the Lunar Skull....it took off like a rocketship thanks virtually exclusively to word of mouth on forums like this. Unfortunately for me, I only ordered 1 of the proof LunarSkulls before the prices blew wide open. I should have ordered more when i first learned about them. But I have a similar opportunity now with the Legends of Asgard series first coin, Odin!

I don't think I'm the only member here who is ordering at least 1 of these new coins (maybe a second one soon).

13. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

lets just stick with facts, not generalities. Thanks. Beautifuful coin and neat series though.

14. mmissinglink

AgAuNews has already mentioned, he is willing to recant that original assertion. Can you, Barsenault, provide him re-assurance that the Mammoth is struck, not cast?

As far as I am concerned, communicating with people who are in the know, the vast majority of the Chinese uber high relief medals are struck, not cast....except for a very small number of medals. I don't know about the Mammoth (because i never asked my contacts about that particular medal), but I believe that is struck too. For sure, the uber high relief The Great Wall From Shanghai Pass to Jiayu Pass duplet (pair) medal set that can be found in comment #2 here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...silver-isn-t-the-only-composition-page-1.html
    is struck. Please note that the relief is not 30-35 mm but the thickness of the medal from the highest point on one side to the highest point on the opposite side appears to be close to 30-35mm. I eyeballed it knowing that 10mm is a little more than 3/8 inch.

15. barsenault

Oh, missing, I have no issue with the statement. Not at all. If it is the mammoth that is the issue, then it should specifically state the mammoth, if that's what he's referring to. That's my only contention...the generalization.

16. mmissinglink

^ Good point Barsenault...generalizations are a problem.

17. monopolize

Thanks I ordered one earlier with the discount code and in my sleepy state must have put the code into the wrong field when I went back to order a second. Cheers.

18. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I thought this was a minor issue, but this statement doesn't sit right with me either. There is no 'misrepresentation of the truth', if a mistake was made it was exactly that and nothing more. The article reads "approaching that of some of the many amazing Brass medallions issued in China by the Shanghai Mint which are actually cast, not struck.", the key words being "some of the many". One medal is twenty is 'some of the many'. There's no claim in the article referring to the Mammoth medal at all and I used it as an example on SS of one I thought was cast.

And what the hell are you insinuating with "...something doesn't smell right with this method of promotion."? I'm tired of repeating this, AgAuNews is a news site and that's it. I don't get paid, got nothing from Choice or anybody else for it. It's an article written for collectors. Exactly what is gained by a comment that some medals from the Shanghai Mint are cast?

Honestly, some of the insinuations on here make me wonder why I bother.

19. barsenault

Hey Ag, I truly do think you do a wonderful job with keeping us informed. Thank you. I aplogize for the comment of the financial gain bit. Admittedly, that was a bit extreme. Unfortunately I can't strike it, because others have quoted it. In hindsight, I should have just challenged you not to use generalities. It was the way it was worded that gave me pause to write those words. I just think you could have left out the struck vs. Cast bit out is all.

20. barsenault

And yes these are beautiful pieces. I think all three that are being minted are a step in the right direction.