Keep it to yourself!

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Jislizard, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't know, I'm with Matrix on this one, a lot of money and precious metals sitting around at the last meeting.

All you have to do is one trade and you get an invitation along with the address and timing of the meeting, wouldn't be hard for an 'inside job'.

I will only be bringing my MILS and Plated items in future

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You rang? :|

Sure I have baggage...but it's full of Kinder bars! :p

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

You have nothing to fear but fear itself.. :cool:

4. renovator

Your stack & stash is a long way from taking a few bits & pieces to a meeting full of grown men that was invitation only .You bunch of paranoids.... man up !

On second thoughts just hide the silver under your skirts no one will know its there :lol:

5. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

The irony of the two top threads:

'Keep it to yourself!'
    &
    'Today i bought'

hmm.

6. vektor

vektor New Member

I wear a couple of nice bits, not worth more than $2000 total. I will wear, say and do what I want, I can think of nothing worse than living in fear of some 'bogeyman'.. I go to bad parts of town to see shows, go to 'rough' clubs.. You guys need to stop looking at the fear mongering press and learn how to protect yourselves.. If you are goin to live in fear, dont post on the net, as someone can always track you down that way if you want. And they can have a lot more time to work if they catch you at home. If you want to wear platinum, wear it.. If you are that gormless to flash it, get followed and rolled without noticing or taking measures, its just the law of the jungle, isnt it?

FFS.. I know 80 year old ladies who wear their rocks.. If I lived somewhere that bad, I would move..

7. vektor

vektor New Member

I've been to several swap meets... I can tell you now there is not enough stuff there for any armed robber with half a brain to try something. For a start, they are always in licenced premises, what are they gunna knock over the pub too? Response times to armed robberies in the CBD are extremely quick. Another thing is, they will want to be numerous and well armed because many of us know how to and are quite prepared to neutralize any reasonable threats.. I know anyone trying to roll myself and the two other members I hang out with are going to get destroyed unless there are 3 of em with firearms.

I have been to antique shops with more valuables than our swap meets, straight up... This paranoid talk is the type of thing that attracts attention.. make it sound like there are gold bars floating around..FFS... I've never seen anything bigger than a 1 oz of gold at these things, and I've seen very few kg bars of silver, there are no valuable old gold coins goin... Its mostly 1oz rounds!!!! In fact, any coin swap meet would have far more potential to knock over.... So please dont give any random crackheads any ideas!!!

if you don't want to come to the meets out of fear, fine. Just don't project your paranoia onto others endeavors. ;)

8. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I'm sorry, but what the hell is this absolute BOLLOCKS!?!

We have a secure, undisturbed venue for the meet in Brisbane this month - our venues and meeting places are changed frequently month-to-month and are PM'd to attendees 24 hours before to ensure privacy and security of members.

In Brisbane - people have to pass verification and need to be vouched for by other trusted SS members in order to even get an invite - which is by discretion of the organiser... which has for the last few has been me. I don't allow favours - and don't allow nobodies to come. I make a good point of getting 'background' on attendees from my sources, and if I feel someone doesn't cut it, they don't get an invite.

So thats the 'one trade and you get an invite with date/time of meeting' theory disproven.

And.. while we're on the subject, I have turned down over 10-15 members over the last few weeks, including a fair number of non-entities who have PM'd me for this one too. I'm not inviting anyone who I am unsure of.

Let me say one thing - members safety and a good time are absolute priorities for me in organising meets.

With all that said - I've one piece of very important advice for anyone attending the meets, whether in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth for that matter:

If your not assured of your personal safety, or that of your PM's - don't come. Simple.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of some of the other organisers as to the concerns raised here if they're looking. and the more positive thoughts of members who regularly attend meets... as right now I'm bloody fuming.

9. renovator

RD why you turn down 10-15 members? thats not doing yourself any favours the more the merrier with more to trade sell swap .Unless its at your house than i understand .Why not have it somewhere where everyone is welcome .

Selective invitations isnt really in the spirit of SS .

10. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

I have been to both the ones you have organised in brissy and never once felt at risk. I was happy to leave the table for a few minutes if needed to get a beer etc without dragging my goodies with me.

There is some interesting stuff at the meets, but all put together it wouldn't equal some of the individual stacks you see posted here from time to time.

Not to mention there is enough people there that to roll a venue would be.... troublesome... at best.

11. RhythmDoctor

Couldn't agree more with you - but I have peoples safety and security to consider - at one of the last Brissy meets I was receiving PM's after arriving at the venue from people who had registered on the site 10 minutes before. I think if I'd allowed that, I'd have been an idiot who was potentially putting people at risk.

Selective invitations are certainly not how I roll - and everyone is welcome, provided they're verified and vouched for by other members I know and trust. Most people coming have a fair online prescence here anyway, and are regular traders...

12. vektor

vektor New Member

I can personally vouch (again!) that these are safe, friendly, productive meets.. the security risk is the same as meeting some mates at the pub. Which is what it is! ;)

13. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

This is the frontline, this is the dead zone, barely alive or in a box is how you head home.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yso4e1YCE0[/youtube]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Nuf sed, methinks. :|

15. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

The only issue I have re the next meeting is the fact that the proposed trade thread is in the public, rather than members-only, sub-forum.

Since only members can attend, it would have made more sense (to me) for the list of what might or might not be around on the day to be restricted to members of the forum only.

That said, I have never felt any apprehension about security generally or the others attending at any of the meetups so far.

Now as we as an informal group of like-minded souls grow and evolve we may well become more sophisticated in our security arrangements and whatever, but I have to disagree with MO on this - I think that he is a tad OTT on this.

Don't want to come MO, fine, stay away. But just cause you don't want to play doesn't mean the rest of us have to be constantly worrying about the boogieman.

16. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

This thread has got me thinking. I organized the last Adelaide meet up, at which time we had a new person turn up. As has always been the case it was a pleasant night, but in future, for any events that I organize, I'll take the time to f2f any potential new people before hand. As a rule there isn't much swapping, sometimes none, but you can't be too careful. Cheers.

17. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

@ MatrixOpals

Really. ? Just really? I thought you were above that sort of childish behavior and could participate in a mature reasoned dialogue.

I apologize. I was obviously mistaken

I have no idea what set you off but I am very sad for you that you choose to respond to a rational debate with such thoughtful and witty epithets as fk nut and retard whilst not actually addressing the issue. Sad, disappointing and to no small extent just pitiful.

I would like to know just what the hell I have done to you sir other than be polite and reasoned in my posts? No seriously, what? I cannot find one post to which you have replied in a polite friendly way. You seem to make a point of insulting me, my intelligence, or just swearing (select abbreviations and asterisks etc do not change the message sir). If I have somehow offended you or slighted you (and I'm not aware of how i could have done so but perhaps i did so) then pm me and we can sort it out over a beer or coffee or sarsaparilla or whatever you drink.

Those who know me know I'm not thin-skinned. I get abused daily in my job and sworn at constantly, and in return can swear like a trooper (comes from having been one). But a public forum such as this is not a place sir for such abuse or attempted degradation or aspersions about my or others' mental acuity. By the way how would you feel if I actually was mentally challenged?

Time to either grow up or shut up Matt.

Btw one of 5 paras was addressed to you. The other 4 were in response to issues raised (by you and others) and an issue which I hadn't seen addressed or alraised at all. Despite your attempts to play the "oh bad man is picking on poor Matrix" card, most of the post had nothing to do with you.

18. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Would be nice if the personal insults could be left out. Members have been suspended for similar remarks in the past.

Re who attends meetings, in Melbourne we run a thread where anyone wishing to attend needs to post on the EOI thread, after which an organiser messages them with the event location, and keeps a record of who was invited. We have plenty of "+1s" and new members with zero posts or trades attending - security is a concern, which is why we don't publicly post the location so it doesn't show up in Google, but it is usually held at a licensed venue, as with onsite security these aren't as soft a target as say the local scouts hall. The size of the meetings help - 30-40+ people in attendance is a lot different to a group of 6.

I do think people need to be a bit more personal security aware at the meetings - too many times I've seen people leave their pile unattended, and I think that level of trust in sometimes what is a room with a number of strangers is too trusting - but the only incident we've had is the first auction where a member paid the wrong person for 2oz of silver by mistake with a number of other lots, and it wasn't noticed at the time - we've since changed our auction process to avoid this type of mistake.

Personally I think it is being a bit elitist to vet the list so aggressively - many of the members here in Melbourne I regularly trade with I've only met via the meetings. Safety in numbers, and be discretely aware of your possessions at all times, and you shouldn't have any problems.

19. vektor

vektor New Member

I was working door security at 17 (things were casual then), then audio for 10 years.. In clubs you obviously would have sped past... I have seen and dealt with plenty of 'junkies' and 'crackheads' ... they DON'T SCARE ME. I know how to assess a situation and deal with it. Sure some cranker with a screwdriver or replica pistol might see YOUR posts claiming these meets are soft targets with stacks of loot and rock up... And prompty realize he is out-gunned and has no chance of getting anything except a beating.. You are trying to associate two completely different criminal types... The calculating armed robber (who doesn't work alone and wouldn't risk shit for our MINOR loot), with the 'Junkie'-a criminal of opportunity, checks car doors, burgles...

Its completely flawed thinking, shows little street smarts, you come across like a sheltered home schooled kid, who watches too much American TV. Then when people try to calm your paranoid shit down, you abuse them and even DARE to question my experience in such matters???

I remember you being quite polite in person. I suggest you get your personality disorders under control? This delusional thinking that we are such a target shows how little some of you understand about business... I used to walk $150 000+ to the bank every friday afternoon for my old boss. I didn't break a sweat. Grow some balls... What makes you think the police are able to provide 24/7 protection anyway?

Protect yourself or stay at home. I'm sick of living in a country ruled by IRRATIONAL FEAR!!

20. RhythmDoctor

And I think thats all we have to say on the matter really.

GP and Ozboy, really appreciate the advice given there. Thanks. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.