just made a cryptsy account

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by shinymetal, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yep, "Spam" just like those examples sx. ;)

DOGE may hold further potential for profits, it's probably overvalued now but it doesn't mean there won't be future opportunities to buy and sell for profit ie pump then dump.

As far as a credible alternative to centralised fiat - I'll pass, but by all means you guys go for it. :p

2. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Your position is illogical.

You accept BTC yet diss a similar altcoin that has a far larger number of users than the one you choose to accept, based solely on what you assume to be "spam" ?
    Those premined billions are what made Doge what it is, The most widely spread of any crypto bar none, sure BTC led the way but it has become exclusive rather than inclusive and as a result has.... not so much alienated mainstream but become out of reach of the great unwashed so to speak.
    People don't fear Doge, they embrace it, it's new and fun and has the complete opposite image of the association with the silk road and other negative connotations often found only sentences apart in a majority of the MSM articles to do with BTC.

Doge has done more for the future acceptance of altcoins in a few short months than all the others combined and the fact that it wasn't intended to be anything more than a joke to start with is part of it's appeal.

It's the doorway alt of the masses.

3. mmm....shiney!

No it's pretty logical from where I stand.

No I believe BTC has greater potential because it has a greater capacity to provide an alternative to fiat. I'm not saying BTC will replace fiat, what I am saying is DOGE is a pump and dump only.

Yep, a premined coin that benefits the devs firstly.

Inclusive and exclusive???? WTF are you on? :lol:

You can still buy BTC if you want sx, it'll just cost you more to buy 1 BTC than 1 DOGE that's all. Got nothing to do with inclusivity or exclusivity.

You forgot "sexy".

It may well have done that, but it doesn't mean it's not a pump and dump coin.

By the way, if it's the doorway alt of the masses, where does it lead then?

Edit to add: You assume I choose BTC - wrong assumption.

4. markc

markc Member

Bitcoin isn't a pump and dump coin?

[​IMG]

5. mmm....shiney!

All cryptos can be pump and dump, but some offer more.

DOGE doesn't.

Edit to add: but then again, it would be pretty difficult to pump and dump BTC and LTC.

6. markc

markc Member

Doge has only been around for a couple of months and already there are quite a few services that have been created and even more under development. I think its a bit early to be writing it off.

7. mmm....shiney!

Like I said, that's fine, if you want to put money into it all good, but I wouldn't be sinking money into it if I was looking for a long term alternative to fiat that could provide profit. It could provide profit short term, but then again it may have had its run, I think it is not a serious contender for currency, I'm looking elsewhere.*

*Which suggests, according to my investment history that maybe DOGE is the play. :lol:

8. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Recent MtGox activity is an outlier, brought on by the exchange itself and isn't in relation to Bitcoin itself (the 2011 noted mallability issue on tx IDs is just a poor mans attempt at distraction from MtGox's inability to code a stable exchange environment [wonder what would happen to the ASX if there were no pre live testing of code changes... ] ).

Curious, why the AUD chart (you end up with a slightly lower peak on Aprid 2013) given the main trading pair has always been the USD, and only 1 year (Bitcoin was relatively flat compared to today's values pre Jan 2013) ?

9. markc

markc Member

shiney: All cryptos are short term investments. Bitcoin has only been around for five years and with technology moving along so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if something else comes along in the next few years and blows it (and all the other cryptos) out of the water.

silvertorrent: I used that chart because I had it open at the time.

10. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Fair enough, just think a USD chart would have been more accurate. :)

Hard to believe that the AUD was above parity in April 2013 as BTC tipped 266 USD worth before that crash (MtGox crashed under the weight of multiple small transactions, similar in nature to the more recent attack before the overdue obituary reports).

11. mmm....shiney!

That is incorrect, it depends upon the individual and their investment goals and strategies and not upon the choice of crypto.

DOGE holds little long term appeal as an alternative to fiat, therefore its appeal is only short term, therefore it is a pump and dump coin. I don't have the time to watch the crypto markets to buy in and out of junk coins so I don't own any DOGE.

The serious cryptos hold much greater appeal as an alternative to fiat, therefore they are not pump and dump coins and have a long term investment (granted that long term may possibly only be a year or two, it depends).

12. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

I, for one, can't forsee a time I go into JB Hifi to buy a new TV and the hipster serving me is like "That'll be 3000 Doges, Shibe"

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

But can you foresee the same situation with 3000 litecoins ?

14. RetardedMonkey

Yep?

It doesn't have a retarded meme name for one.

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

So crypto success is all about having a serious name then ?

I mean, like, who would want to buy a computer named after a fruit ?
    :p

16. RetardedMonkey

At least that's semi-serious! :p

I had a read of where 'Doge' came from today - turns out it was wrongly spelt on some puppet TV show.
    I don't even!

17. markc

markc Member

It's not really an alternative to fiat, its more of an internet tipping currency that has the added benefit of great gains over short periods. Not only via pump and dumps (which affects all cryptos) but also with general market movements.

18. markc

markc Member

That may be the case but what's to stop someone coming up with something like a cryptocard (i.e. debit card) that utilises a range of cryptocurrencies as funds?