Do you really think we should be stocking up on food?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dusty, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

When things turn to hell let's all remember that we're all in this together:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZehkuUvuk[/youtube]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Luckylukeonline-You must still be living with your parents mate and not paying any bills.
    And if you do have kids God help them!

:/

REDBACK

Ohh Yeah love your Avatar kinda fitting to your commentary :lol:

3. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And put a silver coin in it to help keep bacteria out. :)

4. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

I tend to disagree with this. Whilst I wouldn't live underground, a home provides an element of protection that you wouldn't otherwise be afforded in a man-pack role.

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The ONLY reason that I stock up is due to price rises.

I would rather pay today's prices for something that is going to cost 2-3 times more in the months/years to come.

I can not see the likes of Coles & Woolies having empty shelves.

VERY expensive shelves..........YES!!!

But do have in the back part of my my mind pictures of empty shelves.

So a two way bet never hurt.

Like a good Boy Scout.....

BE PREPARED.

6. staysafe

staysafe New Member

I hear ya' luckylukeonline. However, let's not be complacent... there is a need to be prepared to buckle down and get through it.

At home, we refer to our SHTF plan as "Project Samurai"

And thanks to the earlier poster in this thread for directing to the SHFT thread and others - I'm still new around here and appreciate the directions :)

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I don't have time to read all the replies, so my apologies if I duplicate what someone else wrote.

In the US, we operate on just in time inventory. So, supermarkets only have about 4 days of food. First disaster, impending disaster, disruption of the delivery chain and the stores will be cleaned out in hours. Then what are you going to eat? You cannot buy what is not available for purchase. If only to buy before higher prices, it makes sense to store food now.

8. staysafe

staysafe New Member

4 days, it's a scary thought...

9. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

Four days is based on a normal amount of buying. If you have a rush on the supermarkets, say, for example, if the economy crashes and there's a report of a run on the supermarkets, then everyone will go and empty their local. Even in the Queensland floods the shelves emptied pretty quickly.

I have food stockpiled. Mainly rice, pasta, canned goods, powdered milk, toilet paper, and some other stuff (like a fishing rod in case it all goes from bad to worse). Most families have less than a weeks worth of food.

I'm hoping the situation never gets that bad, but if it does, I'm confident I'm prepared. If it never comes to that, then I've got a few soups to get through during winter 2014.

People called me crazy when I said the economy was about to turn to poo and to get out of the stock market and into precious metals. Then they laughed at me when I started stockpiling food. I think it's crazy to not be prepared and to float through life just expecting to only know good times.

10. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

I bet they're still laughing at you, and calling the your warnings about things that HAVE happened, a coincidence.
    I was a checkout chick during the floods. I knew how quick the shelves were going to be emptied. I heard "1974" on the news and casually strolled in and out of the shop about half a day before the big buying started. They already had no matches.

11. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, no bite from me. Aggravate some-one else. Bye.......

12. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

i took these the afternoon before the Brisbane floods hit in a suburb that was many many miles from the floods, not a single property 'inundated' and no chance of water coming even remotely near us. It's a massive store too, i was really taken aback by how quickly it was emptied out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kram

kram New Member

I was told there was a dude down in Logan on his front lawn flogging loaves of bread at $20 a pop

onlyinlogan

14. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

auspm posted a video of some angry bogan dude talking about it a waaaays back. i thought it was ipswich though.

15. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

buying in bulk is the most profitable way. I'm thinking of not building the second bathroom and using the room as a storage room for the wife's sewing stuff plus items bought in bulk.

16. kram

kram New Member

17. DonaldTrump

DonaldTrump New Member

If anyone wants to get started:

As of last weekend, Aldi had cheap bags of plain flour at 89c/kg. They also have cheap asprin, ibuprofen, and batteries, and sometimes have decent canned goods. Kmart has cheapest BPA-free containers, as well as the cheapest toilet paper at $7 for 32 rolls. Coles generally have the cheapest pastas and powedered milk, and surprisingly have the cheapest per kg rice I've seen. Canned goods mostly depend on who has a sale on.

Anything canned will (generally) last around four years, despite what the best before says. There are a lot of good websites around with a bunch of info, but these are the main things I've gathered in my travels.

Unless the markets all crash come Monday, there's no reason to go and max out the credit card on this stuff. I simply suggest spending an extra $20-60 during your weekly shop on some long-life foods and shove them into a box behind the pots and pans. Do this every week for a couple of months and you'll have a whole lotta insurance for your family.

If anyone else sees any bargains out there, please share.

18. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

asian supermarkets generally have bulk bags of rice for a lot cheaper than the caucasian stores. much cheaper than coles that's for sure.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

^^^ Yup, that's where I got a lot of my stuff.

Also Cash n Carry stores (a friend who has a small catering business took me with them on a shopping trip one day and I used her card! ;)).

Also, I approached local farmers/distilleries who sold me grains such as oats and barley in bulk at far cheaper prices than I would get in any shop.

I've also used the online shopping facilities of the local supermarkets to deliver me large amounts of canned goods which saves on me going the checkout, having to pack them all and transporting them home myself.

So in answer to the original question...yes, I think we should. :)

20. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

+1. Mi Goreng boxes for $12 last time I was there. (30 packs per box).

...... You gotta wrestle the uni students for them though!