Do you really think we should be stocking up on food?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dusty, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

As above?

Would people like to add a survival list to this thread?
    I think that it would be great for people to use as a check list, also would things get as bad as the 1930s ?

2. millededge

millededge Active Member

there's a thread on this subject in general discussion with SHTF in the title

there is also a product selection thread in this subsection, titled something like "Origin's on, what's the best SHTF products", crosslinked to the above link

basically, if you think money grows on trees, then yes

sydneysiders who'd like more info, pm me

3. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

I haven't to date been "stocking" as such. That said, we usually keep enough food on hand to eat for about 30 days (it may not be the most novel of recipe lists, but it'll be good, wholesome and hearty food).

With that said, I am planning on increasing home suppy and diversifying to more items in the coming days - I don't like the look of the storm that's coming, and I want to be sure those I care about are provided for.

I figure it this way - it's either cash in the bank or food in the pantry (leaving aside PM's for a moment). At this stage of the game, food in my pantry > cash in the bank.

4. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure what all the drama is. I say bring it on. :) Should be fun. It'll sort out the wheat from the chafe.

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst it may be said in jest, I think you will be in for a very rude surprise when it happens. It is going to be quite ugly, and not just for a few months either.

A lot of innocent people are going to suffer.

6. lucky luke

Not said in jest at all. It will be a hell of a leveller. Also a reality check ................

Not sure though who the "innocents" will be, or who will be the judge of "innocent" or not.

7. millededge

millededge Active Member

a good stock is insurance

worst case scenario - you eat it

best case - you eat

8. vektor

vektor New Member

Have been telling everyone for 20+ years, stock up on knowledge, and guts. Forget your can opener and bunkers lol... Being mobile and knowing how to find stuff to eat and drink will get you further than a bear grills piss milkshake and a cupboard full of spagetti-os.

In the modern day world, when things go bad folks need to stop thinking like Colorado survivalists. It always blew me away how many people think living like a rat for a few months underground would somehow prepare you for anything other than illness? I would rather be up top seeing WTF is goin on. In many cases a mans home is not his castle, it is his coffin.

reminds me of all the Rambos who buy night vision shit that lights them up like an Xmas tree to even a pair of kids $80 toy nightvision goggles... pffft..

I'm not that worried, people may all pull together and we may get out of this, more and more people waking up every day. Time to point the finger at the crims behind the mess and say enough.

9. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

I've been stocking up for a while, but need more just in case :p

10. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

health and fitness are more valuable then silver or gold as you can acquire silver and gold in a hurry but health and fitness are a longer term investment
    [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

If things get really bad my fall back position is MC DONALDS.

12. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"BE PREPARED" - Lord Baden-Powell, 1908

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

...and if a miracle happens and the SHTF moment never arrives, you simply eat the stuff.

OC

13. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

@that guy.....
    that pic is gold :)

14. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

No I haven't been stockpiling. Yet. This forum provides some balance to the usually glassy-eyed moronic MSM interpretation of the economy. That said, sometimes it can get quite glum in here. We'll be moving into our new house in October, and I'll be starting a SHTF stockpile then. We'll be mostly self-sufficient for vegetables, water and electricity. I'll invest in a generator. I think I may bring my stack on-site (much to my wife's chagrin)
    As long as people keep getting sick and injured, my 'income' is secure. It held up fine during GFC1. Worst case scenario I can charge/barter food or silver bars/coins for my services...
    My issue is with my current level of household debt, which runs at about 50%. My cash flow can service this adequately, but you never know what's right around the corner. If we're talking three years or so before meltdown (personally, I think it's sooner) then we'll be fine. But if it's next month or before Christmas? That's another story....

15. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about the elderly, infirm or children and babies?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I live by the Alpha Strategy actually. It's almost a quasi SHTF stacking lifestyle solution which not only beats the fiat bastards at their own game, but by default, allows you to have a decent stockpile of goods/food in the event of an interruption to normal services and supply.

Read this e-book (it's totally free) : http://www.biorationalinstitute.com/zcontent/alpha_strategy.pdf

It talks about this strategy and why it's important, not just to prepare for when things go sour, but to also protect your wealth as best you can against the fiat system.

17. lucky luke

If you mean the the same sort of people physically killed (and not just financially damaged), then relabelling them as collatoral damage appears to hide their "innocent" status. It seems "innocents" (a few thousand) were killed in the likes of the 9/11 event but not applied to the hundreds of thousands collectively killed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya (and the long list of historical Hiroshima's, nagasiki's, Dresden's etc). "Innocent" is a label that cerain powers to be apply when desirable and discarded when undesirable.

So as per my prior question, I remain skeptical as to who the "innocents" will be, or who will be the judge of "innocent" or not in the case of a globally felt depression. One could argue that innocents in third world resource rich nations are already being effected by the rapicious economic foreign policies of richer 1st world nations. But they remain unlabelled as "innocents" because they are not our "elderly, infirm or children".

18. Jing

Jing Member Silver Stacker

In regards to having fresh water supply in a SHTF scenario, has anyone seen / bought / used one of these lifesaver bottles before?
    http://www.lifesaversystems.com/

any reviews or opinions on these or any other water purifiers on the market?

19. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

Don't mock him - years of Call of Duty etc have probably made him a crack shot and getting a kill shot on him in return may be difficult.

20. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Jing,

Go to Bunnings and check out the down-pipe diverters.

Stick a wheelie bin under it, and bob's your uncle.

OC