2013 $2 Coronation Color 'C' mintmark Al-Br unc

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by DanielM, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

wow a whole security bag is a nice score. Really wanted to find a roll but it seems quite hard unless you know someone working for armaguard.

2. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Roll for $330
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330993228295

Roll for $280 .
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281155263770

That's not a bad return on $50 outlay!

Or this eBay sale
    $650 for an outlay of $100!
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181198723388

But the winner is!
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321160478575
    For an investment of $2 plus free postage.

A couple of others went for $57 and $48 around the same time.

Certainly an exciting coin and one to watch!

3. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

I work in a big store and was informed by the Armaguard guy who drops off the change that they had bags and rolls of the $2 purple coronation coins ready to be distributed exactly one month ago. Since then not a single bag has appeared for circulation in my store (to be used as change). The place I work at goes through about 50 bags of $2 coins a week so where did all these purple $2 coins go??? It looks to me that they never got into circulation to begin with and someone has cornered the market on these and will dribble them out for years to come and make a killing on them. To tell the truth I had the same idea of buying a few bags for myself but they never were sent out. Also I went to about 10 different banks asking for a bag or a roll of these coins and nobody in the banks had seen them either. If the mintage is 2 million circulated how many of these actually went into circulation??? I think the vast majority of them have been hoarded before they circulated. You only need to check on ebay where there are bags upon bags of these coins being sold at exorbinant prices. Also the Mint was offering that each Australian could by a bag of 5 but when I rang up to order 5 weeks ago the deal was already off.

4. SULLA

Silver Kook what state are you in?

I found my first sack (i.e. 40 bags of 25 coins) of 2013 $2 coins on June 24th. They were released to the security companies on June 21st. I went to my local banks every week after they received their fresh coin deliveries and would buy $2000 sacks of 1000 coins and sort through them and pluck out the Coronation coins. As I wrote earlier as soon as anyone sees the coin it is put aside never to re-appear! I know local market storekeepers who have collected 12 coins in 2 months! They have just disappeared! I am in Melbourne and got regular weekly supplies at my local banks. I know others in Melbourne who have cleaned up on these coins. I have collected them loose, in the red bags and rolls!

Two weeks ago the banks had only new 2012 std $2 coins. Last week they had only well circulated mixed bags.

Looks like they are no longer available except if you find some in change or buy them off someone who has some to spare!

I have these coins for sale for $10 each plus postage (for a very limited time).
    Same price for 1 or 100.

5. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Noobish question: so you "all" expect for this coin that it's value will increased significantly in future? :)

6. gimmiethegold

gimmiethegold New Member

In percentage terms isn't 10 dollars from 2 already a 500 percent profit increase? Have there been any inquiries launched into how many of these actually got into circulation and what happened.

7. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Haha more tax payer $$$ put to good use I suppose

8. Stark

That I've noticed. ^^ :) But what do you think of its future increase? I know it's speculation, but I don't have any idea about their popularity since I didn't follow/don't know similar coins before. :)

Vatican released 2 coin, Sede Vacante (after few hundred years both previous and new Pope were alive). 125 000 mintage, I think that a little more in special pack with stamps (not sure). It very fast went to 50+. :)

German feeBay

9. silvergrey

silvergrey Member

If the mintages is 2 million and most are hoarded it is never going to be rare.

10. SULLA

Now that statement is a real OXYMORON!

So how many have you found in your change Silvergrey? How many have you collected?

2m is an extremely low mintage for an AU circulated coin. In fact close to the lowest.
    Normal mintage for a $2 is around (guess) 30m-40m.

The 2000 Mob of Roos (MOR) $1 mintage was 7.6m and sells for $50.
    The 2005 MOR $1 is 5.8m and sells for $13.

The 2013 Coronation $2 is unique as it is the first coloured coin released for circulation and is in such high demand that
    it is almost impossible to find. PLUS it is already selling for an average price of over $13 including postage.
    And it was released just over 2 months ago!

I regularly noodle 1000 coin bags of $2 coins and over the past two weeks I have found 3 Coronation coins out of 2000
    circulating $2 coins.

Contrary to your belief this coin is already tough and will only become more so in the short, mid and long term futures.

11. SULLA

2 million circulated and 99.999% immediately hoarded!

WHY?

1. First coloured circulated coin in AU.
    2. Probably the most attractive coin ever released by RAMint.
    3. Extremely low mintage.
    4. Highly collectable - you touch it and it feels like a "valuable" coin; and you put it aside!

This will go much higher than current trading levels in the future!

12. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Must be an Aussie thing, because I don't quite follow the story...sorry mates. All the best.

13. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I agree with Sulla, they are getting harder to find.

14. SULLA

This morning spoke I spoke local Asian shopkeeper.
    He has collected 2000 coins in bags from a bank for no apparent reason -
    ...he likes them!

15. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

SULLA I am in Melbourne. I work in a big retail store with 6 cash registers. Only have had around 10 purple $2 come through this whole time. I am getting them by asking people if they got the new $2 then I am swapping it over with an old $2. Amazing how so few people have any concept of it's potential value! Just wondering if you get bags of $2 coins from the banks do they charge you for the service??? Might have to start sifting.

16. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

I went in to the Comm bank, they told me they hadnt seen any, and if they had the staff would all take them anyway.

17. SULLA

They came in red security bags of 2013 $2 coins. There were generally around 2 -6 Coronations in each bag, with the remainder being all 2013 $ standard coins. However, some security bags had 25 Coronation coins. As I wrote earlier, they appear to have dried up now as the red security bags now have only circulated / used mixed $2 coins. Banks do not charge as they order sacks of 40 bags for their larger retail customers, and if they have a sack left over they will generally let you have it (mainly if you are a customer and know them) for the face value of the coins. One sack is 1000 coins = 40 red security bags X 25 coins each = $2000.

18. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

i was lucky enough to pick up 5 from the adelaide meet thanks to 2 very nice stackers - puts me up to 10 of them now!

19. Stark

I must say that coin look really nice. Is no wonder everyone is keeping it. :) It's quite similar with some Euro coins here. Smaller country like mine has very low mintage. It could happen that you very rarely come across coin that was released in your country. My friend worked in a bar and always kept the special ones for himself as soon as he come across one. :)

In Slovakia they wanted to release 2 Euro coins with Saint Cyrillus and Methodius. At first EU bank demanded that "halos" should be removed from the coin (religious symbols are banned on all currency -supposedly). Then they've changed their mind. Demand for coin was so high Slovakian National Bank has to limit amount of allowed coins to 25 per citizen. Mintage number was 1 000 000.

ECB - thumb down, then up

20. Stark