ZeroHedge doesn't believe silver is money

Discussion in 'Silver' started by chimpanchu, Dec 19, 2010.

1. donpaulo

donpaulo New Member

thats the plan right now

swapping for another PM, or land or other asset

when I saw the current ratio levels and took a look at things historically I started buying AG

my exit strategy is such that I do not need my PM holdings so I am prepared to hold until something gives. I am fairly certain that things will go boom at some point, its just a question of hard the landing will be

2. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

My plan is to swap my silver into gold once I'm happy with the GSR.

The problem with this is, we may not be able to get the gold. By then the mania probably widespread amongst the populace, gold will be in huge shortage.

I will then swap by gold for properties when the price rock bottomed.

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

That is my plan too. When the gold-real estate ratio reaches a bottoming area, I hope that I will have some places picked out. I know the area I want to be in and the type of place I would like to have. Getting there will be the hard part. If we are correct about the future pm prices, I should have the money to buy what I want.

4. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Just a thought. We all heard stories of Great depression and Weimar Germany where people can purchase a home with a single gold coin.

I was wondering if the same home can be purchased with a kilo or two silver bars? Or only gold is currency in hyperinflation situation?

5. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Probably been posted elsewhere though http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article9232.html seems to suggest that silver as an investment leading up to a hyper-inflationary economy like during the Weimar hyperinflation was a solid investment option with the GSR moving to historical 16:1 ratios, though once the population decided to flee, gold's value to mass meant that wealth was easier to transport and therefore caused the GSR to increase significantly (160:1). With Silver prices reaching 544 billion mark in November 30 1923. http://www.bullionmark.com.au/gold-...62-weimar-gold-a-silver-prices-1919-1923.html.

So if history is anything to go by I would say that silver would be almost as good as gold during a weimar/zimbabwe style hyperinflation scenario.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have my 1oz.

[​IMG]

If people want it for their house... let's talk?

7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From my reading it seems anything of value that isn't paper is money. You could buy a house with a bag of groceries at the right time in the right place.

Interesting thought writing this. Since we have all purchased piles of consumer goods, will the trade be in those? Swap my plasma for your tin of tomatoes etc.

8. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I'm not sure that people will exchange precious food products for consumer electronics. In economic collapse situation, anything entertainment will fare the worst.

9. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

edit - goldpelican stuffed this post up with an accidental edit

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Crap! I just clicked Edit on that post instead of Quote, and just edited it! My bad :(

11. parallaxerror

parallaxerror New Member

I know a Dutchman who now lives in Iowa and he reckons it's fantastic.

He loves it there and will never move back The Netherlands. So it cant be too bad.

Mexico - try living in the midst of a full blown narco war.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Ditto. What I posted before I realised I stuffed up that post was "I can't foresee any circumstances that would cause folks from the US want to move to Mexico to "escape" the USA.

On the ground, things here aren't 1/10th as bad as most would believe from watching YouTube."

13. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Guatemala is supposed to be good place to go

14. parallaxerror

parallaxerror New Member

The problem with moving to poor/ developing countries is that you immediately become the 'rich foreigner'.

Which is all good when everybody is happy that you are buying pirate dvd's, t-shirts and handbags and staying in hotels.

The friendly disposition of locals towards westerners in cheap holiday destinations is purely financially driven. Have no doubt they are envious and often resentful and once you stop handing out the easy dollars, this seemingly happy relationship breaks down.

You got it and they need it, if you stop buying they will look to other ways of acquiring your wealth.

Unless you got big teeth at some stage you are going to get bit.

15. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

Alot of Americans already moved to South America. Because they can't find a job or they lost their home or simply they got sick of the crap (the banksters) happening in their country.

16. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

But back to the point.
    I too read a few articles on ZeroHedge, and that one about silver not being a currency, was baffling.

Not being an economist by trade, i skimmed through the mind twisting examples of why it wouldn't be. By the end of the article, i was tempted to be agreeing with him. Not because I got what he was saying, but more so, that i didn't get it, but it sounded right.

Then, reading the comments, i got more understanding from them. And finally came to the conclusion, that yes, his scenarios could make silver a non-currency, but at the same time, another scenario would make it stay as a currency.

So, his article was true, if A happens. But if B happens, then it's not so.

And then there's C, D and E, to name but a few options we have before us.

And he's missing the point.

We're just swapping some worthless pieces of paper for some PM. Seems the obvious thing to do now. Wouldn't matter if it was silver, palladium or water melons. It's something tradeable. And if the scenario is "barter", then it's easier to swap a blob of silver or palladium, or gold than it is to swap 500 watermelons.

And just because we go to barter, (if we do, i doubt it, we're more intelligent than 1000 year ago, well, maybe not, but ... ) there's no way humans are just gonna say "ah no, silver aint worth anything" ... or "that palladium, that's shit" ... about as much chance that happening as us saying "that gold, can't eat it, don't want it" ... yeah sure.

We've thought silver was valuable since we can remember, and nobodies gonna be able to convince us otherwise (not overnight, anyway).... we'll just suspect they want it all to themselves. That'll make us even more determined to hoard it and value it.

So, I think silvers still good to have. Poor mans gold maybe, but that's okay. I'd rather have some pennies than no pennies. Still going to be worth more than paper or plastic or numbers on a screen.

17. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

its good to have you on board lakes entrance :)

18. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

ZeroHedge never said because Silver is NOT money therefore it has no value... Lead and Zinc are not monetary metals but they have value.

The point Zerohedge trying to make is. People should think Silver as industrial metal just as Copper, Lead, Zinc, Titanium, Uranium, etc... Meaning silver should be put in Industrial metal basket rather than in Money basket together with Gold.

If the public perception is Silver is NOT money and only Gold is. They will only accept silver as much as they will accept a hunk of Lead in barter situation!

19. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

20. Forge

Forge Member

Just to clear this up; FOFOA is making this statement, nit ZH.

On top of that, I don't think there is any real argument that silver is monetary. It was used as money previously, and could be used that way again. Neither of these indicate that silver is monetary in nature.

Silver may still be a good speculative investment, and I believe it is. It may still be usable as a currency in a time of great stress / hyperinflation. But it is not a store of wealth, nor monetary, and the difference should be noted.