Your Super asset allocation and recent changes.

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by Byron, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Byron

Byron Guest

Mine was 100% balanced (approx 75/25 split of equities/property to fixed interest/cash). Perhaps a bit late but changed it recently to 70% cash / 30% balanced. Will change back once hopefully global situation stabilises.

What's your usual allocation and have you changed it recently or within the last 3 years?

2. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I'm weighted quite heavily in a real estate asset though has low risk IMO.

I personally like your weighting when one considers what is happening at present .There are some great Equity buys at present and it would be hard with a large cash weighting like yours to resist.

I have set my new SMSF strategy with a 10% PM threshold and will continue to buy Silver as long as the price stays under $50/oz.

I think all SMSF should be holding some form of bullion IMO.

3. Silverstrat

Silverstrat Member

About to change mine and wifes allocation, any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thinking along the lines of interest rates dropping, whole world economy retracting and Australia through total incompetent management dropping like a stone...where to go for safety??Cash,fixed interest??
    Thanks in advance.

4. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I've just finished setting up my SMSF and are now waiting for my funds to arrive.

The allocation I've settled on for the moment is 50% cash, 25% PM's and 25% shares. (mainly mining stocks)

When the S inevitably HTF I'll start moving cash into the broader sharemarket and maybe buy a property as well.

Long term I'd be looking to be 50% shares and 50% property but for now cash and PM's are the order of the day.

C

5. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I like high div shares with full imputation credits.There are some amazing buys at present with the big 4 banks when considering the share component.

I think I will be looking to get more PM myself and getting to 15% weighting soon.

Good luck with the SMSF.

Wish I had the cash like you are planning.Smart.

6. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

70% PMGOLD - 5% SHARES - 25% CASH/TERM DEPOSIT

7. Byron

Byron Guest

So shares/equities are out of favour (at least for the time being) with the respondents on this thread.

Honestly with the way equities markets are massively manipulated, imo tangible assets like property and PMs are the way to go.

8. Byron

Byron Guest

Won't help you but imo tangible assets are the only way forward - property and PMs. Together with some cash in the form of a term deposit.

9. Byron

Byron Guest

High div shares are good unless you are forced to sell. Eg i bought BOQ bank shares at $13.50 (peak being around $18.00) and now they are $6.79........ Only have them in order to get a discount on our home loan so do not plan to sell. I do wonder however when they are going to go back to $13.50.

10. Kawa

Kawa New Member

BOQ are not Top 4.I have been in and out of them in the past 5 months and did OK.There is not enough time here to fully discuss BOQ.

I have sold them though.

11. augirl

augirl New Member

45% GOLD, 45% PMGOLD, 5% GMI (Global Mining Shares Listed investment company shares ), 5% CASH.
    Will wait until DOW/GOLD ratio to approach approx 2 to 3 then I'll switch to 70% General Index Shares eg, STW or GMI

12. EddieX

EddieX New Member

I just started my SMSF late last year with e-superfund. My allotment is 60% cash (term deposit at 6+%), 22% gold stocks and 18% PM stored at Perth Mint (allocated). What a great feeling it is to have control over my investments for my retirement! Really appreciate the info provided here by some members.

13. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

You might be waiting a while i think.
    'BANK of Queensland (BOQ) has posted a $90.6 million first half loss, with the cost of bad loans weighing on the lender.'
    http://www.news.com.au/business/mar...st-half-net-loss/story-e6frfm30-1226331169018

14. Byron

Byron Guest

Yeah, saw this the other day too. They sent me a form to buy additional shares at $6.05, as they are doing a capital raising. It would have dropped my overall cost average but frankly speaking i'd hate to send good money after bad.

It sucks that the price has dropped so much. At least i am holding on, as the shares give me a small dividend and more importantly a discount on the home loan. Hopefully by the time i am close to paying it off, the share price would have picked up.

15. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

shares have an intristic value of zerooooooooo........

16. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

In the good old days before CHESS was set up when your shares tanked you at least had share certificates you could use to paper your walls or if you were out of loo paper you had another option :lol:

Kind Regards
    non recourse

17. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

My super currently 70% cash and 30% Australian shares.. use my personal income to buy PM's and save cash. A small amount set aside for trading.