you guys are all letting the perth mint down

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ego2spare, May 6, 2014.

1. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just curious how the other mints are doing in their bullion sales as well.

3. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

or too many are convinced that 50c coins are a better way to stack australian silver.
    same old junk that's been circulating since before most of us were born.

Or the other clan that buy ase's & maples that they make in the tens of millions.
    yet we got a reasonably good product selection here with collectable mintages.
    so what if a few kooks look like crap, as soon as a hot one comes along it's all on again.

do you hear of websites mentioning how many 50c coins have been bought and sold this year?
    that's 'cos is don't matter, same coins going in circles, have no affect on the silver market as no one cares.

people were buying them for like $12 each, then $11 each, then $10, then $9 & $8 and now around $7
    if they were anything of substance they would hold some kind of value appart from the copper/silver content.

at any recent year that one bought 50c rounds, if they bought the same value in kooks, they would have a stack much more valuable.
    you can't buy last years kook at this years price, more the year before and so on, some years like 2008 were a bonus.
    that will never happen with 50c rounds.

All that stackers need to do is buy the fresh stuff, the coinage, help build a bigger market where they need to up the mintages again, maybe 800,000 kooks etc, then this era will again become a short print to future stackers.
    they'll be chasing the 2014 kook's just like we're chasing the older kooks and paying good premiums, same thing.

Not with bars, not with 50c coins.

4. Ouija

Ouija New Member

Perhaps Perth could learn something from the Eagles and Maples. Many bullion stackers are interested in a pure bullion coin that doesn't constantly struggle to find its identity. The designs of the Eagle and the Maple, and even the Philharmonic are consistent from year to year. This is what bullion stackers want.

Bullion stackers are well aware that the only reason for annual design changes (as with the Koala's, Kook's and Panda's), is to extract higher premiums from the closet numismatists, who seem to percieve additional value from annual die changes.

That's fine, if you are a coin collector - but the additional premium isn't worth it to a bullion investor, whose primary interests are a balance between the spot value of the metal, and the easy liquidity of a recognized coin, without the superficial fluff that would need to be explained to someone who might not be interested.

I have no problem with new products being offered by the mints. In fact, the USA and Canada produce plenty of collectible products and proof sets. But the main "flagship" bullion product should be consistent and recognizable as bullion, and only rarely changed. I would be happy to purchase lots of Perth Mint products, if the premiums were justified, and on par with the American Eagle, Canadian Maple, or Philharmonic.

Perhaps the new design should feature the Austrailian coat-of-arms, or something equally dignified. But simply redrawing cartoon animals, calling them "collectable mintage", and charging hefty premiums, is not what the North American market is looking for.

Although the Perth Mint products may be popular with collectors, they will not be stacked high in the vaults of serious bullion investors. They're just too expensive.

5. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

For one thing round 50s are limited, secondly maybe if perth mint had something along side the maples/ASEs price range they will do better. Don't go slamming things without reasoning, you're making yourself sound like a noob

6. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
    Merry, merry king of the bush is he
    Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
    What a life you lead

Merry, merry, merry little bird is he
    Sing, Kookaburra! Sing, Kookabura!
    Sing your song for me.

Eating all the gum drops he can see
    Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
    Leave some there for me

Counting all the monkeys he can see
    Stop, Kookaburra! Stop, Kookaburra!
    That's not a monkey that is me.

If the koala had it's own song, maybe they'd be more popular

7. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

Yeah what is pushing global silver sales at the moment is investment silver, not numis. Their polished turd bars just don't do it justice. That and their awkward location, even for Australians, doesn't help the dollar cost average for investors. Also the US fabricators do it on a larger scale and have a cheaper work force.

8. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

limited? the're 50 years old and still have no value appart from the copper/silver, so what is the point of your limited? limited to as many as you like is all.

and don't comment on what I sound like, it's none of your business, play the ball, not the man, hey?
    just because you can't take good advice is your problem, sit on your loser round 50's for all I care, sell 'em next month for $6

9. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

When I can buy foreign silver coins cheaper than Perth Mint coins in Australia, the Mint has set itself up for fail.
    We have not failed the Mint, the Mint has failed us. If a business decides not to be competitive, how is that my fault?

10. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the competition is hurting the Perth Mint. There is a more competitive range of bullion available from Australian suppliers that is skimming the cream from the Mint.

Should they go with the touted kangaroo bullion coin, low cost with perennial design, year of issue, uncapsuled, tubed, they would see their sales double. No need for Australians to buy ASE, Maples, Philodendrons, and the like from overseas.

However, nothing beats the fifty, with its intrinsic value of 50 cents.

11. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see the same chat side by side with the scottsdale mint.

12. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I think you are missing the fundamentals of a forum.

And yes I do have round 50s but less than I can count on two hands, my collection is mainly Perth mint, but I still don't think anyone can criticise anyone for not supporting a business that's killing itself

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Round 50s for $6? Sammy just orgasmed :lol:

14. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Would like to think some of my 50s might hold their value a little better than that.

But they are still in their original bank rolls :D

15. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No room for a woodie, my pockets are full of fifties. Saves on storage.

16. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

is that a gun in your pocket? no mam, just a roll of 50's

17. Cheepo

Cheepo New Member

And indeed I think you are correct. If I went to Europe and walked into a bank to sell silver coins, they would probably accept Eagles and Maples and Philarmonics, because they know these coins and could test as to their authenticity, but if I came out with a coin with a Koala they would probably refuse it. For ease of sale, consistency is important, so they should add a coin that doesn't change yearly.