Worst silver purchase.. Can you beat it?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Guest, Jun 22, 2013.

1. crojo

crojo Member Silver Stacker

$55 for 1oz carded koalas

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All I can say is "Nemo" isn't a fish... he's a "dog" :/

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Those are very wise words big bird

4. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

My best by a country mile is 50 x 2012 1 Oz series II Lunar Dragons
    I got them for a steal @$70 each, pretty sure I paid the most on this site for them
    Awesome work there Alfie! (ya lug)

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

First buys from a PM shop for sure.

KJC fooled me into paying $40 for a 1/2oz, $66 for a 1oz Dragon, $160 for 2oz and $305 for 5oz but did ok for the Kilo at $1,045. Thankfully only bought one of each.

6. Byron

Byron Guest

Roll of 1991 kook remints @ $42 each.

7. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

That isn't too bad, not many of them floating around. Don't sell them at a loss,

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buying a silver kilo bar on the Sunday before the April Monday takedown. This was when Goldman Sachs issued an advice to short gold.

When markets opened on Monday, that same kilo bar could have been bought at a 150 dollars discount...

9. Clawhammer

Don't feel too bad Altima... I did a similar thing with gold... I bought up BIG, AFTER the April Monday takedown thinking I was pretty clever... then the price fell a further $200/oz over the next few weeks :/

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What was the 'going rate' during its hype?

I heard a lot got burnt on this fish.

11. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Stackers' intention is to stack gain nor loss, but to stack purchasing power.
    Paying prices bloated by outside inflation-temporary buyers of silver is destinied to loss, since their gain implies loss.

Reality is that alot of those 'optimistic stackers' actually weren't stackers, at least not then, and most of them also not later, because if all purchasing power gains had been converted to more silver, the price wouldn't have dropped at all, it would be a net neutral supply(sales)/demand(purchases), thus nothing but a shift of silver ownership.
    They didn't stack silver then, they stacked other peoples purchasing power.
    Money 'made' by frontrunning, misleading then dumping.
    They didn't say that they sat ready to sell.
    The same period wherein they recommended others to buy, they sold themselves.
    It's funny how in the forum threads lists of that period, topics about selling are very scarce to find, and the few that are there, claim to sell for coincidental / unrelated to the price-reasons (need money due to unforeseen event, someone else wants to sell and asks where best place, so on).
    But during the following months and even years, gradually the posts pop up scattered around in various threads, where some 'optimistic stackers' of back then, proudly declare that they managed to sell in the high $40's.
    Also, those 'optimistic stackers', after the big profitgrab and consequential steep price decline, suddenly become 'pessimistic stackers'. Spreading around pessimism. On the moment that they are 'out'. Ready to do the opposite of what they did in the high $40's.
    So I can understand Photonaware very well. All it needs is to have seen it yourself.
    I think optimism and pessimism should have no place in any market. If I go to the baker to buy a bag cookies while knowing the price, why should I be optimistic or pessimistic? Those feelings are not relevant in real market, at exchanging stuff. They are only relevant on thievery places, where something gets nothing in return, and prices sweep hefty around in year/month/day and even hour fashions. So don't give those feelings a place. Silver is an asset. Whatever happens to the price, the amount ounces stay. But it requires taking care when buying. By trying to find out who all holds silver, and for which reasons, and the general price increasings rate that gradually (or fast sometimes) removes profit at steadily higher price levels.
    See, the idea is not to get out at fiat alone, but also to do that in a lossless operation, meaning that you get an amount ounces silver of whose production/processing/distribution cost is comparable to what you produced today to earn that fiat. Failing that means already starting with a loss, much like a fiatcurrency devaluation round would have done to your bank account. Those that bought silver at $40, and now see $20, well, it's exactly the same as a 50% devaluation operation by the central planning. Succesful hedging against inflation is thus more than just buying 'always optimistic', and Photonaware's post makes exactly that clear.

12. Clawhammer

I saw some go for over $100.. I bought some at $75 :(
    I thought they'd go off like the redback spider :/

13. trader10

trader10 Member

Yes.... it's interesting when prices have a correction in any asset class and how the so called "experts" and bulls go away or under their rocks...

The most important thing here mate is to realised that most asset classes have been losing value.... stocks, real estate, currencies, etc....

Look, we are living at such interesting times... if you've got your physical and bought at $40...so what? If you can forget about it and be happy with the investment do it... you might even add to it if you want.

We are living extraordinary times in our world economics... it has never ever been tapped in this way... We are in the middle of trade/currency/and real WARS...all wars...change of empire...transfer of wealth....you name it.

In the case of SILVER, no matter what economic cycle you are in, the demand will still be there...either a greater demand or a lower.. but, it's there mate... There are still need for nanosilver technology, medical and pharmaceutical use, mirrors, electronics, solar power, water purification... gosh you name it....

Now, when you think MONEY.... real money, not paper money..... in the last 5.000 years of money, you will realized that before and after every empire fall and change in the monetary system, gold and silver plays an interesting valuation.

As Marc Faber says: "If you believe that [Bernanke] means what he says," "then you believe in Father Christmas."

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/faber-s-p-500-could-fall-20-to-30-Uc6pRO8eRhKflaO99fyqQQ.html

If you don't need to convert your investment to currency to buy other assets, then you can always hold it mate.....

Note: Be extremely careful with big mouths anywhere... they don't talk up for nothing.... so you must be strong minded, have and use your OWN gut feeling and DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.... be aware of the "super stars" ... the big talkers... you will realized that they are the first ones to run away or change minds....

YOU... only YOU dictate your own life and decisions mate.... and honestly, I think you will change your old car for a new one if you can bear with a little more patience.... the next 1-3 years will be amazing in REAL ECONOMIC TERMS....

Trust yourself mate... and do what is best for you.

cheers and take care

Trader10:)

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hey mate back the truck up lol

you should be happy silver is on sale lol and you can buy it at 55% less than you bought it previously lol

lol

lol

lol

does that make you feel better when you read that. I though I had taken a hit until I read this well at least I feel a little better now.

thanks

15. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

There is a small clue as to why this was not the deal I thought it was..... I really don't know how I missed it. :/

[​IMG]

16. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

:lol: & i cant even say you didnt read the fine print its in BIG print

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pirocco and Photonaware, no one is debating your opinions, what I take offence with is the personal nature of the opinion that denigrates those not in harmony with your feelings. It appears that money, capital gain, one-up-manship, etc. are your sole reason for stacking. How much did you get for your grandmother? The argument flows into the realm of the personal and as such the opinion and the argument are diminished. The grandmother comment is not warranted and offensive but follows on from the insult to those who stack for reasons you do not understand or fathom.

That said, if you live with regrets, you'll die with regrets. I'm better than that.

18. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Opps! Oh well seems we all have had a bad buy or two...care factor? You learned from it or ride it out to match your fiat value. For nearly everyone except for Anonmiss you are still holding intrinsic asset regardless. Your stack is x amount more for the effort.

Oh and were are the perma bulls from last year? I guess my hand raises for that one...what am I doing? Buying whatever I can , selling some bits and pieces and basically increasing my stack quicker than before. Fundermentals have not changed for me so discount bullion is greatly appreciated ;)

19. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Should be
    Made in China
    We all make mistakes, you should see my fake coin collection

20. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks for laughing buddy