World Money Fair 2012 Black Dragon

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by xrayspecs, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep, and at that price I think most would agree it's a good investment. Now they're gone i'd put their value at about $140-$150. I agree, they're not a $200 coin just yet.

There are collectors that don't think like that though, pretty safe bet there are allot more than 5000 that don't too.
    Once prices settle, I think if you fail to grab one then the opportunity will go as the snakes approach. I could very well be wrong mind you but i'm more than happy to wait out the years until proven correct :p

2. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Paul, the redback amongst other appreciating coins were not Oz legal tender either. IMHO if we have to fall back on the value pressed on the coin we are screwed. I look at the silver content and purity.

Scorp

3. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I am aware of that and I am collecting some of the Tuvalu coins myself however all the rest of the coins in the series are Tuvalu coins too unlike the lunar which are all legal AUS tender don't get me wrong I actually like the rectangle set I think it is well presented and nice looking but I just gave it a miss I think if held it will appreciate nicely wilth a low mintage and hopefully an increase in lunar series collectors by the time series 3 comes around.

4. Scorpion75

Scorpion75 New Member

Some have complained about the mint releasing too many variants of the oz lunar dragons(still more to come) and then say the rect set is crap or it sucks. The way I see it the rect sets are unique.

How many variants of the rect coins are there? Gilded,high relief, plain bullion,privy,different sizes etc? No theres just the one type with the 4 colours. It's about the only thing I can thank the mint for.

I seriously think many have mistakenly overlooked these. The rabbit one too. Which I didnt buy funny enough seeing i'm year of the rabbit.

Scorp

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think I might have Dragon Fatigue, I will buy the high relief one next for sure, maybe the coloured set if it is at a decent price and then I am done...except the different size bullion if that is ever released. I am not too concerned with what type of box my Water Dragon comes in, as long as it is at the right price.

We will check this thread in 10 years time and see if the Dragons are still relevant!

6. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Hopefully in 10 years everyone that bought bullion will be so well off the numis will be irrelevant :)

7. picturefun

picturefun Member

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

LOL. but soon Year of Dragon will pass, it will be another 12 years before the next coming. So no big deal if they kill the dragon now :)

9. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

I wonder if next year, the snake, we'll have the same amount of so many different coins minted like this year.. I doubt :)
    Alex.

10. abudabi

abudabi New Member

I like the Black Dragon, and it's not the one of the 9-Set:

"I don't see how those Water Dragon Coins are any different from the one made for the Chinese sets that were limited to 20,000 sets. So weren't there really 25,000 of them minted not 5,000 of that coin. It is a nice coin though.

Billy Black Smith says:
    February 9, 2012 at 4:36 pm .The untraained eye, you could say that, but to a collector and investor there is a huge difference.

The 5,000 coins are Specimen quality coins.

The 20,000 coins you talk of are bullion coins, and will always be bullion coins.
    Even if the holders of the nine-coin set breaks down the sets to sell the coins individually they will have no numismatic value and will not get a mention in any coin catalogue.

On the other hand, the 5,000 coins uust issued by Perth, are a unique collector coin that do have huge numismatic potential because the coins are specimen grade, individually numbered and have unique packaging. You'll see them in every major coin cataloque, on-line bulletin and recommended in coin sales.

One of the most common mistakes new collectors make, is that they don't take into account the unique packaging of the coin.

The packaging is as important as the coin, and of course, those who collect unique coins, ensure that the packaging is in pristine condition.

I've seen great coins in damaged packaging that just don't sell or have little value except for their bullion value.

Another thing to consider is the mintage.

Just because a coin has a low mintage doesn't make it an expensive coin, there's thousands of coins produced, that have low mintages and are worthless; there's coins with large mintages that continue to have huge premiums, so it depends on what the market wants, not how many coins were minted.

Even if you consider the total mintage of every dragon coin produced by Perth, it still doesn't satisfy the world wide demand; and, for an issue price of a mere 99bucks for a specimen coin that is individually numbered and packaged I think those who bought the coin will be smiling from ear to ear.

Cheers

Billy Black Smith "

http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2012/02/08/r-dragon-coins/

11. mfm

mfm New Member

What a ripoff, for the price of the 9 coin set all the coins should have been proof quality already.

12. xrayspecs

xrayspecs New Member

Crikey! I guess that's Black Dragon fever for you :D People scramble to buy at almost any price when something has so much hype attached to it and sells out so rapidly

Then all the flippers appear and people begin to come to their senses and things cool down :/